Immigrants (what IS an Englishman anyway?)

Without wishing to stir it all up again I thought I’d just point out that there is no such thing the pure English race. Not anymore anyway as the true englishman probably hasn’t been seen for over a thousand years… why?

Well, originally mainland UK was inhabited by the English. They were the pagans spoken of in history (and they weren’t very bright). Then…

…the Romans turned up, as did the Normans and the Saxons, and the French, and the Germans, and the Vikings and anyone else who came to see what “that little green island” was all about.

One thing I have discovered this morning reading through the threads is that the “Alf Garnett” type racist isn’t anywhere near as dead as I’d hoped he was.

Unfortunatly I didnt see the other thread until this morning, However the MOD/Admin team dealt with it correctly :smiley:

QHunter is right, the English are a ■■■■■■■■ race… more Nordic and Gallic than Celt.

For 1000’s of years England has absorbed and integrated newcomers to these lands, and now is no different.

While I hate to admit it, Racism is still rife within the Haulage industry, however it has certainly either diminished or become more hidden than it was 10/15 years ago. The days of drivers refusing to drive a truck because a X Y or Z person had been driving it the day before have thankfully gone.

One of the beauties of the internet and these bulletin Boards is that it is anonymous… and members can not make judgements on appearence, only on the words used.

While there may still be Racism within the Industry, there is non allowed on this site- The Only criteria to use this site is to be either in, or have an interest in the Transport Industry.

If members have contraversial views on this subject, then Find a website that caters for your views… this site is for discussion of drivers and transport, While immigration issues may touch on that, and may be discussed In a sensible, logical manner spouting of dogma and statements without hard facts to validate them are not welcome.

I would like to post this… it explains a lot about how I feel about Racists and Racism

"In Germany they first came for the Communists
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics
, and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me–
and by that time no one was left to speak up."
–Pastor Martin Niemoller. [/i]
Even in a small way that Will not be allowed top happen on this sie EVER
I nearly (zb) that :wink: mrs mix

Well, it seems that this thread is linked to various other replys to a certain member’s rantings about ethnic diversity. With reference to Rikki’s post above I would like to add my own thoughts.

I am not ENGLISH and I’m proud of the fact. I do not consider myself to be a bigot or racist of any description - to me, a git is a git regardless of race, creed, colour, gender, religeous or ■■■■■■ persuasion.

With regard to immigrants and the haulage industry, my main concern is equality and fair competition. In my view I would not expect to be able to live and work in any country if I was not capable of communicating in the language of that country or if I was unable to operate within the laws of that country. I have no problem with anyone from any background being a driver in the UK provided that they are able to speak english and that their skill level is the same as I am required to acheive.

Looking at the Euro drivers forum shows that to work as a domestic driver in France you require a FIMO or FCOS so logically, to work as a domestic driver in the UK you should require a UK C/C+E licence and/or (with the forthcoming EU driver training directive) a UK CPC. If you are a domestic driver then you should have to pay taxes for the country you work in. In these circumstances everyone is in the same position as me so, therefore, the competition for work is fair. There is a question in the theory test book about drivers hours and one of the answers is ‘to ensure fair competition’, this applys to the haulage industry I just want the same to apply to the employment sector.

Bit of a rant but, what the hey…

just my thoughts

Jules

Qhunter:
Well, originally mainland UK was inhabited by the English.

Was it not inhabited by the BRITISH then ? or was it just the English. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Try that little Shire to the left if you want to really find the TRUE Brits, I think its now called Wales but i may be wrong:):):).

In the words of Alf Garnet (till death us do part)

“Only yer English are pure white, all other europeans are WHITEISH”

I thought the majority of the population of Wales could be traced back to the Black Country and the mass emigration away from the poverty there to the relative prosperity and the wealth of employment that was available when the Welsh coal mines were being opened at the end of the 17th century?

TruckNet UK:
Qhunter is right, the English are a ■■■■■■■■ race…

…I’ll have you know my Dad is alive and well and living in Plymouth, thank you. :wink: