Boy are those guys uptight on the other site

Well, Allikat, this just tends to support my contention that the average American truck driver is a moron. Sad, but true…

YET LOOK WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DO.

(zb) :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

edited for personal attack please make sure you stick within the rules
mm

In this entire thread you people run down Americans and you edit my comment for “being a person attack”.

In my country as in the US when you call somebody a moron that’s a personal attack.

So in your context of fairness you can badmouth us all day as long as we don’t see it, but when we do and respond in kind it becomes a personal attack.
That’s a very British assumption.

Do you maybe think that’s why a lot of people don’t like British people.

I have nothing against British people AS LONG AS THEY"RE IN BRITAIN.

Pat Hasler:
It is only the few that think they are above God, just as there some guys and girls in the UK that think the same, I have to say that the majority of drivers and other people I meet on my travels are very polite, friendly and curious about life in Europe and the UK. I usualy take such friendly folk to another channel to avoid the abuse from the monority of idiots.
I have met the same percentage of arrogant people in every country I have travelled in, so to say the Americans are like that could be taken in offence by some, which is not fair to the vast majority, every country has it’s morons and most of them are very suspicious of anyone from some othe place.
I see enough coments here about drivers from eastern block countries arriving in the UK and taking the driving jobs, to the few morons here in the USA I am no different, it is sad but true :frowning:

I agree, Pat. I reckon the huge majority of North American drivers are as good as gold. They are invariably helpful. I guess there will always be turkeys though.
It makes me smile to read some of the posts from the newbie on here. There appears to be some anti brit sentiment there! I suspect that there is more to the poor attitude than meets the eye but…
Who cares?

Wow - nothing like resurrecting a two year old thread! :laughing: :laughing:

Nope. Nothing quite like it. Accurate though.

i get that all the time to here in england ppl telling me to go back to the states and drive so i dont think its just ppl from the u.s.a that are morons found alot of britans dont like me coz im from the states over here driving so dont just say its ppl from the states that r morons and rude

RuralRhodes:
In this entire thread you people run down Americans and you edit my comment for “being a person attack”.

In my country as in the US when you call somebody a moron that’s a personal attack.

So in your context of fairness you can badmouth us all day as long as we don’t see it, but when we do and respond in kind it becomes a personal attack.
That’s a very British assumption.

Do you maybe think that’s why a lot of people don’t like British people.

I have nothing against British people AS LONG AS THEY"RE IN BRITAIN.

i suppose you would expect that comment from a race thats half frog.

Warrior:
i suppose you would expect that comment from a race thats half frog.

Strewth, what lengths some people will go to to pick a fight. Even in a dead thread. :unamused:
Do you feel better now, insulting the whole Canadian nation just to get at one idiot who is no longer with us?

Don’t worry about it, David. RR is not a contributer any more so it isn’t worth thinking of, and the comment about being half frog is just senseless idiocy.

I think it’s no bad thing to restart old threads from time to time, particularly when there are circumstances that may have changed like Allis. I hope to see her back out here soon. Get that class 1 girl.

RR had it wrong, and was, at best, one of a minority and, more likely, one of a kind. North America has taught me so very much in the short time I have been here.

Just this week I received an offer that was almost enough to move me to tears, and that takes some doing.

Just for the record, where was RR when he/she/it said we run them down? Oh look, Vancouver Island! So that’s in the US now, is it?

bobthedog:
I think it’s no bad thing to restart old threads from time to time,

Couldn’t agree more, my point was why on earth did Warrior find it necessary to insult all Canadians just to have a go at one objectional one? Not that I find the epithet ‘Frog’ insulting, anymore than ‘Rosbif’, Canuck’, or ‘Yank’. :wink:
It is the intent behind the remark that is important.

Couldn’t agree more, my point was why on earth did Warrior find it necessary to insult all Canadians just to have a go at one objectional one? Not that I find the epithet ‘Frog’ insulting, anymore than ‘Rosbif’, Canuck’, or ‘Yank’.
It is the intent behind the remark that is important.

I can second that.

Half frog is itself is not insulting but the intent was.

I have lived in the UK and I can tell you that I was often called a yank, and it was not used to flatter me.

Canada has its fair share of rednecks and I can accept that with regret…

I guess you are right, and there are quite a few rednecks in Canada. Thing is though, while they are insulting you about being foreign, they will help you get your truck out of the ditch at the same time.

Bobthedog… Are you on for big freight?? A friend of mine and “Big Wad” went out to Canada in Septmber 2006 and is on for Big Freight. His name is Carl. He used to do the Middle East and Morrocco as an owner driver. He’s a Scania V8 man thru and thru and wasn’t too impressed by his C-15 Cat by what we’ve heard. If you do ever see him call him “teabag”!!! he’ll know what you mean, and tell the lazy sod to get in touch!! Cheers.

hi dozer
is your mate carl the one who came out on holiday and didn’t go back? i think i met him,my husband started at big freight in sept 06,no doubt he will know him.
mrs rocket

Mrs Rocket,
How about a new post on how things have shaped up for your family since going over :question: :slight_smile:

Hi Mrs Rocket.
Yes I think thats him. He went out in September and never came back! Ive heard he’s coming home for a couple of weeks in March. He’s like the Littlest Hobo… dissapears for for months then turns up as if he’d been gone a day or two!

hi dozer
sounds like the same guy,i will tell ron to tell him if he ever sees him to get in touch with you.
take care
mrs rocket :smiley:

Hey Dozer.
yep, it’s Teabreak himself. I’m afraid it’s half my fault he came here.

Me and Carl by my truck. He kept trying to get the firm to give him a rather old Peterbilt. They gave him a KW much the same as mine. I’ll try getting hold of him tomorrow and tell him you were asking.

Hi, Bob the dog.
Yep thats him! tell him Les was asking after him and tell him I’m coming over to vegas on Feb 1st and if I had a cab phone number for him I’d give him a call when I’m over. His truck might do 6 MPG but he only does 4 COTPM !! (4 Cups of tea per mile!!!) Cheers Bob

I don’t normally look in this forum, but thought I’d have a browse.

I found this very interesting thread, so I’ll chip in with my ex-pat experience.

Once upon a time in the 80’s, around '84 I think, I got a job in Italy. I’d been going to Italy for a year ot two by then, so I thought it would be ok.

Not so. I arrived in Italy, having hitched a ride with a Brit colleague from the same firm- no problem there. We arrived at the Italian border (their side of the Mont Blanc tunnel) and had to produce our passports. The customs guy threw mine over the cab roof and it landed in a puddle- it got well soaked. My driver had his passport returned to him, but with nothing more that a scowl- not normal.

The reason that mine took flight? It was issued in Liverpool. At this point, you should know that it was the very Monday following the tragic loss of life in one of the European soccer finals, known as the Heyssel disaster, due to the name of the stadium.

Liverpool had played Juventus (from Turin, Italy) losing the match by 1-0. Turin isn’t very far from the Mont Blanc tunnel. Italy at that time had various public authorities in each town. In those days an Italian got their passport, driving licence and other personal docs from the town where they lived. That was the Italian way of doing things. Unfortunately for me, the Brits were much quicker at cetralising things.

My passport was issued in Liverpool, but I’m not even from that county- talk about making assumptions- :open_mouth: the guy who threw my passport was a public official, so what chance was I going to stand with the “ordinary natives?” :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I find that I can agree with the other posts on this thread, most of the time the “natives” are fine, but you’ll always find an idiot. I stuck at it for a year, the vast majority of which I enjoyed, but the firm went broke and the boss did a runner. The last I heard of him, he was hiding in the mountains (literally) from their taxman. :wink:

As a driver, I did 10 years of “tramping” in Europe and Scandinavia and visited 16 countries in total, including a couple in the former communist bloc. I still say that in my experience, most of the people are great for most of the time.

I wasn’t sure whether an ex ex-pat would be allowed to post on this forum. The Mods and Admins might have a job on their hands deciding that one. :wink:

Cheers for now guys, and please be lucky…