If you could change a road law

If you could remove one road law and add another what would they be?

Theres thousands to choose from but I think Id up the HGV speed on A/B-Roads from 40mph to 50mph… 40mph is utter stupidity.

The death sentance, to be carried out immediately at the road side (without leave for appeal) if found using a non hands free mobile phone whilst driving

The police should have the power to be able to stop people who drive with their rear fog lights on permanently between September and April and smash the offending lights with their truncheons.

Any law or remit which allows cowboy clampers should be removed.

scottishcruiser:
Theres thousands to choose from but I think Id up the HGV speed on A/B-Roads from 40mph to 50mph… 40mph is utter stupidity.

Agreed! 40 only encourages stupid overtakes by numpty car drivers. For safety sake it needs changing.

bigsib:

scottishcruiser:

Agreed! 40 only encourages stupid overtakes by numpty car drivers. For safety sake it needs changing.

Not just cars though, yesterday i had a certain type of artic driver over take me yesterday on an A road when i was doing 42mph and a truck was coming the other way - he didnt have much room left on the other side of the road so i had to brake to let him in :unamused: :unamused: !!!

I would abolish the 40mph limit on ‘A’ roads but leave it on ‘B’. No point in raising it to 50 as the 56 brigade still want to get past :smiley:

I would also make all resident foreign drivers, irrespective of their country of origin, resit the test before being let loose on the roads. (nice earner) :unamused:

Why reg:
I would also make all resident foreign drivers, irrespective of their country of origin, resit the test before being let loose on the roads. (nice earner) :unamused:

Would that also include British Drivers who travel outside of the UK on to the European Roads?

Example, Italian Driver needs to sit UK Test

UK Driver needs to sit French and Italian Tests etc :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My law change would be to Ban Middle Lane Hoggers for 12 months

I’d introduce lorry-specific speed limits as they have in some places on the continent. It’s always going to create a problem as our standards of similarly categorised roads differ immensely here.

For example, it’s national speed limit on the A26 Crowborough to Uckfield, but its very narrow, lots of bends with poor visibility due to trees virtually making the road into a tunnel and with apalling surface quality. The A507 outside my house, however, has single carriageway lanes which are double-width, a reservation at the side for cyclists/breakdowns, excellent visibility with wide verges and a well constructed surface.

Under current rules, if you’ve driving an HGV, you’ve supposed to drive at 40mph in both of these cases. This is more than enough for the first example but far too slow for the second which will encourage “unprofessional” drivers to overtake when it may not necessarily be safe to do so - this has been the cause of the last two fatal accidents along the road.

If raised to 50mph, it’ll be too fast for the first example and the chances are, most lorry drivers will travel at 56mph along the second example just as they do currently.

Davey Driver:

Why reg:

Would that also include British Drivers who travel outside of the UK on to the European Roads?

Example, Italian Driver needs to sit UK Test

UK Driver needs to sit French and Italian Tests etc :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My law change would be to Ban Middle Lane Hoggers for 12 months

Yes, I believe that if you take up residency in any other country you should retake your test in that country. I was talking of residency as opposed to truckers tramping out across europe then returning home :slight_smile:

Oh, and when foreign drivers come over and break our rules, as opposed to giving them a slap on the wrists, or an “enforced break” in the form of a clamp until they’ve had adequate rest if they break tacho laws, I’d ban their haulage companies vehicles from ever entering the UK again, making them to a U-turn back onto the boat at Dover :smiley:

Why reg:
Yes, I believe that if you take up residency in any other country you should retake your test in that country. I was talking of residency as opposed to truckers tramping out across europe then returning home :slight_smile:

I’m sure a non EU licence is only valid for 12 months then you have to sit uk test if you dont hold an EU licence, however, making the EU test the same throughout would solve a lot of problems.

Davey Driver:

Why reg:

I’m sure a non EU licence is only valid for 12 months then you have to sit uk test if you dont hold an EU licence, however, making the EU test the same throughout would solve a lot of problems.

You’re right on both counts, trouble is we are already supposed to have parity with the EU on regs, especially transport. But we all know they seem to be ‘interpreted’ in different ways and as we are the ones that tend to keep to the rules whilst ‘Rome burns’… :confused:

Allow a left turn on a red light as in some other countries.

Also agree with upping the 40 LGV limit on SOME roads, probably dependant on the width of the road.
Road outside my house is an A road and a trunk route, its quite narrow & even 40 feels fast in artic, but many exceed it.

to remove/amend a law it"s got to be raising the 40mph on single carriageways.
to add a law,for me would be zero alchol level when driving.

buck73:
to remove/amend a law it"s got to be raising the 40mph on single carriageways.
to add a law,for me would be zero alchol level when driving.

Interesting one, I dont dispute that drink driving is a dreadful thing, but is your aim to clear up confusion so that people will play it safe and not drink at all? Or is it to prevent accidents that are caused by people within the current legal blood-alcohol limit but are potentially attributed to alcohol?

Allow undertaking on motorways with more than three carriageways in each direction :wink:

Put “average speed” cameras at the entrance and exit of every motorway junction then raise the over-all speed limits to 70 for trucks and 90 for cars!!

manowar:
Interesting one, I dont dispute that drink driving is a dreadful thing, but is your aim to clear up confusion so that people will play it safe and not drink at all? Or is it to prevent accidents that are caused by people within the current legal blood-alcohol limit but are potentially attributed to alcohol?

my personal opinion is that if you are pulled over and breath tested,and found to have any alcohol in your system,you are banned.
the reason for this is,because everyone has different tolerances,ie driver 1 has two pints and blows ok,driver 2 has two pints and blows negative.
i think it"s too much of a “grey area”.
so in answer to your question,i think it would clear both points you make,however i think it would be your former point for me.

I would say that anyone found not indicating ona roundabout approach or exit should be hung in the ■■■■■■■ middle of it.

get rid of the 40 on a roads

and why not bring in the rule that no trucks can run on Sundays it my keep out the foreign drivers it in euro but i may be wrong

Del