Increase speed limit on A roads from 40mph to 50mph

I can’t remember whether this e-petition on the Prime Ministers website has been publicised on this forum or not.

If you are in agreement that the speed limit should be raised, please go to the link below and sign the petition, also try to publicise it elsewhere.

However if you are not in favour, then please keep your opinions to yourself. :smiley: :smiley:

petitions.pm.gov.uk/antislow/

I’d like to see it happen for the sake of safety and sanity on some A-roads espec the likes of the A9.

But it will never happen its to much like common sense, government local authorities are in cutting speed limits than increasing them.

Even when it would mean trucks running more efficently at 50mph and prob make the road safer due to less driver frustration due to people desperate to get past.

Yeah before you all start its the car drivers fault, yeah it is. But i personally wouldnt like to be doing a long distance drive in a car up the A1 or A9 and having to sit at 40mph.

Not ALL 40 limits to 50.
There are lots that could safely be raised to 50 at little cost.
Introduce a new sign with a lorry pic in it and a 50, then when the limit returns to national (40) just use the same sign with a red line through it.
Bit of legislation and a few new signs - sorted :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Smart Mart:
However if you are not in favour, then please keep your opinions to yourself. :smiley: :smiley:
/

I thought the idea of a forum was that all opinions were discussed - not just the ones you agree with :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It won’t happen anyway - can you imagine the headlines - Killer Juggernauts thunder faster etc .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No thanks, leave them as they are.

Why is it that often the drivers you hear advocating raising the limit from 40 to 50 are also prone to complaining long and loud about how crap the wages are, yet they want to increase the speed limit so they can do more work for that same crap money? I was listening to a driver on the train a couple of weeks ago and these were the two topics he banged on about, he wanted higher limits so he could cram more into the day yet was complaining the money he earned was poor and he could get more working in McDonald’s, although I think he may have been setting his sights a little higher than his skill level with McDonald’s. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: Makes no sense at all. :unamused: :confused: :confused:

better still reduce car speed limits down to :smiling_imp: 40 mph

keep to 40 raise 3 lane dual cabbageway to 50

Leave them as they are, I am hourly paid and dont mind being stuck behind a nice supermarket vehicle.
If its clear and safe for ME then I may creep up to 45 to ease the flow. If not I trundle along my merry way admiring the view. :laughing:

LEAVE THE LIMIT ALONE!!! :wink:

hitch:
keep to 40 raise 3 lane dual cabbageway to 50

Errr aren’t duals already 50, regardless of the number of lanes? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I do believe they are coffee m8, :laughing:

Unless the rules been changed? AGAIN! :wink:

No, it hasn’t changed, it’s still 50 on a de-restricted dual carriageway.

Shrek:

Good, I hadn’t missed some breaking news then? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Shrek:

Good, I hadn’t missed some breaking news then? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

looks like we need some sort of a regular training thing, perhaps we could call it a driver CPC, oh no that’s just a waste of money as we all know that stuff anyway :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:

Coffeeholic:

Shrek:

looks like we need some sort of a regular training thing, perhaps we could call it a driver CPC, oh no that’s just a waste of money as we all know that stuff anyway :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Denis F:
…that’s just a waste of money…

That’s alright for those that have money.
For my part, I can’t afford the price of a cup of cold tea, without milk or sugar…or tea.:grimacing:

DenisF wrote:

Smart Mart wrote:

However if you are not in favour, then please keep your opinions to yourself.
/

I thought the idea of a forum was that all opinions were discussed - not just the ones you agree with

Thats why I put the emoticons after the sentence - although I couldn’t find a tongue in cheek!

My opinion in supporting an increase (and yes I don’t think it will ever happen), is based on Lincolnshire roads and the high death rate, which may be reduced if cars did not have to risk overtaking slower moving trucks at in-appropriate places - in fact there is a case for all traffic to have a 50 mph speed limit.

dieseldave:

Denis F:
…that’s just a waste of money…

That’s alright for those that have money.
For my part, I can’t afford the price of a cup of cold tea, without milk or sugar…or tea.:grimacing:

cup ■■?

luxury :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Kenny1975:
prob make the road safer due to less driver frustration due to people desperate to get past.

Yes, it might discourage some car drivers from overtaking dangerously. However, it won’t discourage them all, and it might actually make things worse, since those who do decide to overtake now have to overtake a truck doing 50 mph instead of 40 mph, which will take longer, and mean a higher risk of a collision.

MrFlibble:

Kenny1975:
prob make the road safer due to less driver frustration due to people desperate to get past.

Yes, it might discourage some car drivers from overtaking dangerously. However, it won’t discourage them all, and it might actually make things worse, since those who do decide to overtake now have to overtake a truck doing 50 mph instead of 40 mph, which will take longer, and mean a higher risk of a collision.

I would say IMHO that it makes people think twice about overtaking a truck doing 50.
I Drive at 50 on GOOD single carriageway A roads,but advocating it for all single carriageways would be ridiculous.as some roads simply are’nt right for those sort of speeds.making it legal would only make the brainless cause more accidents due to their lack of discression and common sense.

raising the limit to 50 on some roads may be a good idea,but like has been said,I doubt it would ever happen.

i do agree that somthing needs to be done with the 40 mph speed limits some roads im happy to keep to that speed limit of 40 mph due to the bad corners etc. my pet hate is doing 40 mph on open fast roads where in the mirror ive got loads of cars/trucks trying to get past me i do my bit and pull in and let them by
2 minutes later its a convoy again trying to get past me these speed limits are out dated and would help the traffic flow better is we could do 50 mph only when its safe on (a Roads)