Increase speed limit on A roads from 40mph to 50mph

Was doing 40 today on a welsh A road. A National Express coach behind me was trying to bully me into going faster by driving 5 feet behind me.
Then he starts flashing his lights at me when there were no laybys about. So everytime he done i just braked down to 20 mph :smiley:

LASHHGV:
Then he starts flashing his lights at me when there were no laybys about. So everytime he done i just braked down to 20 mph :smiley:

How professional… two wrongs dont make a right.

" my pet hate is doing 40 mph on open fast roads where in the mirror ive got loads of cars/trucks trying to get past me "

A483 (north wales) Good example. its at least 40feet wide,
and a favorite hunting spot for “Mr mobil Traffic Cam Man, and his little white van” :slight_smile:

Personally I always treat restricted speed Dual Carriageways with painted out lanes
as single carriageways with passing places.
( there usually identified by lack of dual carriageway markings & 50Mph speed limit signs everywere),

As I find car drivers are only to happy to pass you on the dual lane sections :slight_smile:

I’M personally in favour of increasing the single carriage limit for HGV’s
to 50Mph on certant roads ( using special markings / sign’s)
as this would also have the 2x benefit of increasing the awareness of non-HGV drivers
to the existance of a blanket 40mph limit
(as from were Im sitting, many just think your an [zb], holding up the traffic deliberately) !!

:unamused: .L.

Shrek:
No, it hasn’t changed, it’s still 50 on a de-restricted dual carriageway.

Can somebody tell the trolley drivers then?

Sit at 40 on A roads. (Which is perfectly ok)

BUT… Hit a dualled section and instead of 50, its as fast as they can go.

Hmmmm, you are either gonna stick to the limits or you aint, :laughing:

i’ve signed it but noticed only 133 signatures on petition site, will take a lot more than that before downing street do anything.

Still, wagons are a lot more stable now at 50 than they were 10 years ago so it should be raised as the majority of us are on the limiter anyway, or at least, appear to be when i’m up and down the alpha1 between Edinburgh and Newcastle…

The only wagons i’ve seen sticking to any limit is fuel tankers - everyone else seems to ride the limiter everywhere. Not sure if that’s an accurate picture though as i’ve not been doing it long.

I’d like to know the reasons why drivers exceed the legal speed limit.

To get the job done quicker?

Mike_:
To get the job done quicker?

Is that for their own benefit or someone elses?
Not much joy in going home £60 lighter and another 3 points on your licence!

I would never speed to get the job done quicker for somebody else. I did that for Royal Mail and came out with 3 points for my troubles.

But i guess when it’s Friday night and you’ve got 200 miles of clear dual carriageway to get back to base and off home then i can understand why somebody might do 56 instead of 50.

Mike_:
I would never speed to get the job done quicker for somebody else. I did that for Royal Mail and came out with 3 points for my troubles.

But i guess when it’s Friday night and you’ve got 200 miles of clear dual carriageway to get back to base and off home then i can understand why somebody might do 56 instead of 50.

Understand entirely what you are saying, but 56 on a 50 max road is a lot different to 50 on a 40 max road.

There’s quite a few single track roads that would be fine at 50, but then there’s plenty that wouldn’t be too. I guess this is the limitation of a blanket 40 limit which is sensible in some places, but too strict in others.

let’s face it, we all know it should be 50.

it pretty much already is - i drive every single carriageway at 40 and without fail am always the last lorry to get there after everyone else’s overtaken me.

either ENFORCE 40 (better signage to make car drivers aware of our restriction & clamping down on truckers who are exceeding the limit) to protect the ppl actually trying to stick to your daft law, or raise it to 50 you numpties. I personally would prefer 50

Now heres a radical thought.

How about a bit more education to let all the other road users know that various vehicles, not just lorries,are restricted by law to different speed limits.
After all, a 3.5t van cannot go at the same rate as a car or isn’t restriced to 60 mph for a lorry on a British motorway.
Reduce, rather than increase the speed limits for most vehicles in most situations and it’s safer and actually cuts journey times so why does everyone want to always go faster?
Yes, there are alot of places, motorways, good A roads and even duel carriageways where the speed limit could possibly be increased but wouldn’t it make more sense to try and get the traffic lights switched off during the night when they’re not used or needed and would speed journey times enormously!

Well zabadee, wouldn’t it of been a start if the speed limits for trucks had been put in the new highway code?

Well if they are I can’t sem to find them.

Then if only motorists would read it!!

Just reduce the car limit. Everyone is driving to fast anyway. Oh, and ban overtaking, that lot will sort all the whingers out!!!
Oh, and seeing as all truckers know how to handle their vehicles at speed, can someone tell the average 3 a day that roll over that they can slow down for bends and roundabouts !!

gb1:

To get on with the job,to get in/out of the Docks and up the road,for my overtime and night out and by doing so stand a better chance of getting home on a Friday.
We’re not all on Daywork milking the job for all its worth. :unamused:
If the Truck does’nt make enough money,I’ll get piled with another job til it does.or stiched up on a Friday.
So the harder I run,the more I make and the more the Truck makes. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I shall now go and hide

"How about a bit more education to let all the other road users know that various vehicles,
not just lorries,are restricted by law to different speed limits. "

Not as radical as it 1st appears.

My Dauther has just passed her car test,
and wasnt aware that different maxium speed limits applied to other classes vehicles on various road type’s.

So Q ask’s, why isnt this tault at the driving school.
Why no information pamphlets,
Or better still, A TV advertising campaign ( ie Public information films, broadcast on major networks)
Surely time would be better better spent educating the general public.

Major haulage organisation (Such as the RHA) could get involved…

I think are time would be better spend lobby’ing the goverment to increase public awareness to these issues.
and to this they (might) listen.

After all its a health & safely issue, and they should pay for it to be publishised.

Thats 2xQ’s pennies worth…

bikemonkey:

gb1:

To get on with the job,to get in/out of the Docks and up the road,for my overtime and night out and by doing so stand a better chance of getting home on a Friday.
We’re not all on Daywork milking the job for all its worth. :unamused:
If the Truck does’nt make enough money,I’ll get piled with another job til it does.or stiched up on a Friday.

You’re off your rocker if you truly believe that’s how it works! And more fool you if that’s how you run (I know many that do run like you say too :open_mouth: :unamused: ).

I can see where he’s coming from Rob. Look at it this way…If you don’t have enough time to get through the docks and away up the road because you’ve been pottering about the place at 40mph, then you a) lose twenty-odd quid’s worth of night out money (against a taxable tenner or whatever you’ve gained on hours) and will lose part of your driving and spread by having to run in the morning, hence decreasing your ability to get home on the Friday - especially if this happens on Thursday night! :cry:

That said, it’s well documented that I AM in fact completely off my rocker, so maybe you have a point after all… :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: