I need some help from an Operator

hi guys i’ve been ask by a friend of my who owns a big printing company if I wanted to do the transport for him, he offers me work for 3 artics a day and for 1 26 ton too, I’ve been looking and I have the guides to apply for an operators licence, but there are a few things that I don’t get so I would like if any operatos out there would help me with some of the questions in a real life point of view I don’t want to ask vosa just yet, about the requirements FITNESS AND GOOD REPUTE is the TC checking you driver card and records when you apply for the licence?, I know you have to specify any convictions like if you have driven over your time limit, vehicle overloading, etc, unfortunately I’ve have broken the rules a few times but my transport manager haven’t told me anything when vosa comes around every month, the other thing is OPERATING CENTRE do I have to own or rent the O/C before I apply or they just want the address of the possible O/C’s, UNITS AND TRAILERS do I have to own then before I apply cause I know they want the details of such vehicles on the application or is the same as the O/C’s possible units and trailers I just want to know this cause I don’t want to spend the money buying units and trailers and get the license refuse, TRANSPORT MANAGERS can I be my own transport manager,owner and driver at the same time or do I have to employ someone for it, mind you I would have three artic loads a day so yes I will employ drivers, but I just want to know if I could do the three jobs under my Operators Licence, I know there are other things like FINANCIAL RESOURCES, MAINTENANCE CONTRACTS, CPC which I hold, ADVERTISING my application and I’m sure there are others things that I’ve forgot but If you could get me through it would be really appreciated.Thanks for reading my post everyone and I hope my questions would be answered.

I don’t see anything wrong in asking VOSA, as that’s what they’re there for, and at least you’ll get it from the horses mouth, whereas asking on a forum, you’ll get 4 answers all different from 4 people.

You’ll need to speak to your local office, wherever that may be.

Ken.

if i was you i would forget the trucks but take on the work!
give the actual haulage away (some willing punter will bite your hand of) have a cut out of the rate for
yourself, simples ( you will have more proffit for less work)
if the rate wont stand this then it will never pay to run your own trucks !

Rosbergg:
hi guys i’ve been ask by a friend of my who owns a big printing company if I wanted to do the transport for him, he offers me work for 3 artics a day and for 1 26 ton too, I’ve been looking and I have the guides to apply for an operators licence, but there are a few things that I don’t get so I would like if any operatos out there would help me with some of the questions in a real life point of view I don’t want to ask vosa just yet, about the requirements FITNESS AND GOOD REPUTE is the TC checking you driver card and records when you apply for the licence?, I know you have to specify any convictions like if you have driven over your time limit, vehicle overloading, etc, unfortunately I’ve have broken the rules a few times but my transport manager haven’t told me anything when vosa comes around every month, the other thing is OPERATING CENTRE do I have to own or rent the O/C before I apply or they just want the address of the possible O/C’s, UNITS AND TRAILERS do I have to own then before I apply cause I know they want the details of such vehicles on the application or is the same as the O/C’s possible units and trailers I just want to know this cause I don’t want to spend the money buying units and trailers and get the license refuse, TRANSPORT MANAGERS can I be my own transport manager,owner and driver at the same time or do I have to employ someone for it, mind you I would have three artic loads a day so yes I will employ drivers, but I just want to know if I could do the three jobs under my Operators Licence, I know there are other things like FINANCIAL RESOURCES, MAINTENANCE CONTRACTS, CPC which I hold, ADVERTISING my application and I’m sure there are others things that I’ve forgot but If you could get me through it would be really appreciated.Thanks for reading my post everyone and I hope my questions would be answered.

The TC will not be interested in downloading your digital card, nor will he be interested in a few indiscretions, however if you have any convictions, pending or spent, The TC should have been notified by you, not the courts. That comes under “good repute”

You would not want to rent, buy or lease any land for an operating centre if you are not going to have a licence granted, nor would you purchase, lease or hire trucks until it is granted. However part of your application requires a newspaper advert stipulating the operating centre, number of trucks and trailers, so you do need to have a look around first. Probably the simplest way is to have a word with another haulier, possibly with spare capacity and a workshop, as that will be part of your application.

You say you have a CPC, I take it this was by grandfather rights because if you had passed any examinations, you should know the answers to these very basic questions.

An application will take between 9 and 12 weeks although Paul, Repton on here had a much longer wait as his application had some errors or unanswered questions.

All the answers you need are in this guide G74 to operator licensing, without ever picking up the phone to Harehills House.

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … V%2074.pdf

And of course you can be the owner, driver and transport manager. That is what an owner driver is.

For the financial requirement, you will require at least enough to meet your fuel, wages and other costs

It will also cost you:

Standard International Goods Vehicle Licence

First vehicle £8,100.00

Each additional vehicle £4,500.00

£250 application fee and I think £391 when it is granted.

It may be worth you reading that guide I linked to and tell your “mate” you will think about it

Moose:
give the actual haulage away (some willing punter will bite your hand of) have a cut out of the rate for

This ^ although would need a bit more refinement to get the best out of it.

No money in running your own trucks these days unless you’ve got a huge fleet and getting the blue chip contracts.

why has he asked you to do the transport when your knowledge is very limited? Sounds as if he wants it on the cheap…Think you wud be diggin yeself a big hole if ye get involved in transport

If ye savvy enough, ye wud take the work an sub it out takin a cut, ye’ve a lot less headache… trust me

Moose:

Just what this industry needs another un-regulated “Brass Plaquer” FFS

Sounds like it would be easier for you to just sub it out and take a cut like has been suggested although you need to be careful the firm you offer it to actualy turns up and is reliable. What if your gaffer rings the firm you are using to do the work direct and cuts out the middle man?

Why are VOSA coming round every month? Sounds like he’s in difficulty and wants shot of the transport. If you use his yard as your operating centre VOSA will be up your arse from the get go, not a very good start. You could find somewhere local to rent then you would not be associated with the firm on paper so they may leave you alone for a while although they tend to visit every new start up after a couple of months to ensure you are doing everything right.

If you decide to do it yourself, read every post on this entire owner driver forum as you sound a bit of a newbie to me. Make sure he will pay a good rate with a fuel escalator or it’s not worth the grief believe me. He wants you to do it, you don’t need to inherit his problems.

Do you have an operator’s certificate of professional competence (CPC)? Gaining this (if you can pass!) and getting the Operator’s licence takes at least 6 months.

Do not buy the equipment, only short term rent everything till you know it’s a good 'un, then you can buy. Short term renting from Hill hire means you can walk away at the drop of a hat. Get them to sign a contract. Credit check the company and do so every 3 months. What if they go bankrupt and don’t pay you?

Get 30 day credit terms, most will want 60 but he’s asking you, remember.

You did say this chap was a friend so some of the above precautions may be a bit ott but going in to business with someone can be the quickest way to end a friendship…

If he will pay good money i’d rather do it myself than sub it out but that’s just me. You need to bear in mind you don’t seem to have much experience. You can get in to mega grief.

No one seams to have asked this !

Do you have any contacts for backloads to the area. I doubt your mate will want to pay you round trip as this would cost him more.

Many others have said it and i’ll repeat it too… Sub the work out and take a cut, Phone a few local companies up and get some quotes. (Add 5% - 10% thats your cut and rate to your mate). Get it in writing also From the subby and your mate ! Dont pay the subby before you have been paid so you want as short a payment terms as you can get. pay the subby a week later or as long a payment term you gen get out of them. you then have intrest for a week or whatever the difference is on that cash sitting there in the bank and your not getting billed for using your overdraft facillity from the bank. get a credit check done on the customer every three months. Dont use an invoice factorer as they will take a 5% cut off you also. Make your you have all your insurances in place, Good in Transit etc. If you sub it out and theres an incident… your still liable and then you counter claim off the subby. As its only 4 loads a day too this wont take up much of your time so you could get a full time job also !

If you do decide to do it yourself make sure you have a fuel escalator. If you dont you wont last long in this game. If your base cost for fuel is a £1 a lite and it goes upto £1.05 then this may not seam a lot but its an additional 5% on your fuel bill… this cant be absorbed. Its the difference between a profit and a loss ! Be warned…

Oh and good luck.

fly sheet:

I love it!!! :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

fly sheet:

I love it!!! :laughing:

he is aveing ya pants down tell him to jog on