hypothetically

if you’re parked on an industrial estate over night, do you leave your driver card in the tacho? if you need to move the truck after say 5 hours what’s the proceedure with the tacho? on the old analog system you could just open the tacho and your rest wouldn’t be broken. I’m guessing that you can’t simply pull the card? maybe a note on the printout?

I have a mate who passed his test in an auto, he has an assessment drive tomorrow and the wagon has a 6 over 6 box. given that its unladen, how should he go through the box? I’ve never driven one, so its complete guesswork, but I said about 3rd or 4th to pull off, then 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th.

Take card out as it also reminds you to do the correct end and start of shift bits

Ask assessor if its company policy to start in 1st then skip gears as necessary

thanks rog :slight_smile:

but I said about 3rd or 4th to pull off, then 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th

Lets not worry about Knackering up the gearbox…lol and you’ll find a lot of trampers who sleep in there cabs tentatively leave the card in the tacho… just need to make sure that you put it on rest…

Leave mine in 24/7, 365 days

Swampey2418:

but I said about 3rd or 4th to pull off, then 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th

Lets not worry about Knackering up the gearbox…lol and you’ll find a lot of trampers who sleep in there cabs tentatively leave the card in the tacho… just need to make sure that you put it on rest…

also end country :wink:

Overnight I take my card out, you never know in case you have to move the lorry in the night for an emergency of some sort, to let a fire engine for example.
Leaving it it may cause a problem if the ignition is turned on for a window or the radio and the tacho mode may be wrong.
If loaded, never pull off in third gear, it will damage the clutch.
If going abroad, some countries prefer the card in to show daily rest.
Does your mate know how to do manual entries to match up the shift times to work records to the tacho times.?

cheers for the replies, he got the job so he did something right.