Ejecting your Tacho card at the end of your shift?

Good evening All,
I’ve been talking to one of our drivers recently who insists that it is illegal to leave your card in over night as a day driver or tramper, even if you set the mode to rest. I’ve searched the internet but can’t find any clarification so thought I would ask the question?
TIA

Day driving eject your card as If some one moves the truck and it defaults to other work you’ll get an insufficient rest violation on your card
Tramping you can do either

That’s exactly what I thought. We are day drivers with our own trucks, keys are at home with me. I just can’t find any credible info on it.

I find 99% of the time a driver says “Thats illegal” you wont find anything in black and white as it’s what a mate told them. Normally a way of getting out of a job they don’t like.

The other classic is “Is there a law…”, again normally they want something to get out of a job.

As far as…

I’m aware, there’s no legislation dictating whether it should be left in or out. I’m willing to bet that your driver friend also believes that if he doesn’t wind the landing legs up all the way, he’ll pay a fine of £10 per turn until they’re right up.

FWIW, the Spanish and French coppers (I’m going back a few decades) wanted to see 24 hour cards for time off over weekends and stuff. I can only assume they’d insist the card stays in 24/7. I’ve never been pulled over with a digital tacho, so I don’t know what the DVSA’s view is.

yourhavingalarf:
As far as…

I’m willing to bet that your driver friend also believes that if he doesn’t wind the landing legs up all the way, he’ll pay a fine of £10 per turn until they’re right up.

God above, do you know my mate■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If the card is left in you should do a manual entry for ‘End country’ at end of each shift and another for ‘Begin country’ at start of next shift.

yourhavingalarf:
As far as…

I’m aware, there’s no legislation dictating whether it should be left in or out. I’m willing to bet that your driver friend also believes that if he doesn’t wind the landing legs up all the way, he’ll pay a fine of £10 per turn until they’re right up.

FWIW, the Spanish and French coppers (I’m going back a few decades) wanted to see 24 hour cards for time off over weekends and stuff. I can only assume they’d insist the card stays in 24/7. I’ve never been pulled over with a digital tacho, so I don’t know what the DVSA’s view is.

From my experience they don`t much care whether card is in/out now, since they will download the head as well as the driver card to check for discrepancies.

I always “pop mine out” and never had any complaints…

Always take mine out at the end of a shift and do a manual entry for the overnight rest period the next morning.
Never had a problem with it wherever I am in Europe .
As Mr.larf says, back in the day always had a card in the head to prove a rest period( but he worked for dodgy outfits) but not the same with a digital card .

It’s not illegal to leave the card in overnight, in France particularly they have preferred this since the days of waxed paper tachograph cards. You are recording your activity, which is “rest” so why would that be illegal?

Did your mate also tell you that if you don’t wind the trailer legs fully upwards, it’s a £10/ £35/ £50 (insert other random amount here) fine for every turn of the handle?

I worked for a place one they said on night out eject your card as otherwise it screw’s up there tacho download…don’t ask me how.

Wildy:
If the card is left in you should do a manual entry for ‘End country’ at end of each shift and another for ‘Begin country’ at start of next shift.

Absolute load of Horlicks

There is no law against it, the only law there is is that any records on your tachograph must be true and factual and comply with hours regulations.

And whilst you may take the keys home I can guarantee they’re not the only set. Never rely on the fact you take your keys home as a guarantee your truck won’t be moved when you’re on your daily/weekly rest.

Suedehead:

Wildy:

Does it not depend on if it’s EU or Domestic rules■■? :question:

Suedehead:

Wildy:

Not at all. Absolutely correct.

“When driving a vehicle that is equipped with a digital or smart tachograph, drivers must:”

“record the country in which they begin and end their daily work period. This must always be carried out at the time of the start or end of the period, even if the card is not to be withdrawn or inserted (for example if the card is left in overnight)”

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … raph-rules

RIPPER:

Suedehead:

Wildy:

If on GB domestic rules…? :exclamation::bulb:

Franglais:

RIPPER:

Suedehead:

Wildy:

If on GB domestic rules…? :exclamation::bulb:

Well @Franglais…in this instance we are talking about GB Domestic rules so i didn’t feel the need to be specific…PEDANT :smiley:

RIPPER:
Well @Franglais…in this instance we are talking about GB Domestic rules so i didn’t feel the need to be specific…PEDANT

Wikipedia
domestic
/dəˈmɛstɪk/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
existing or occurring inside a particular country; not foreign or international.

Entering a country on domestic rules is indeed unnecessary

Suedehead:

Wildy:

legislation.gov.uk/eur/2014/165/article/34

Quote:The driver shall enter in the digital tachograph the symbols of the countries in which the daily working period started and finished

Also: It shall not be necessary for drivers to enter the information referred to in the first subparagraph if the tachograph is automatically recording location data in accordance with Article 8.]

Franglais beat me to it.

Wildy:
Franglais beat me to it.

Franglais paid 135euro to learn that lesson… :smiley:

Never met anyone who has, but I bear witness it can happen.