How the first day went..........errrr, well

As instructed by the agency, I dragged myself out of bed at 4.30, had a shower [first mistake!] then drove up to Hillington for a 6.00 start. Introduced myself to the gaffer…“Yes, and what are you doing here?” He knew nothing about the agency supplying drivers for this week, and told me he didn’t need any drivers today. :unamused:
While I was talking to him, 2 van-boys phoned in sick, so I was offerred a shift as a drivers mate! Well, at least I hadn’t got up in the middle of the night and driven 25 miles for nothing…
As it turned out, this might have been a blessing in disguise. My driver has been with Filshill for 2 years, and the lorry was a very nice Merc with loads of toys, including a modern tacho which I would have had no idea how to work.
So off we went with 7 pallets [Monday is quiet] to deliver in Barrhead, Paisley, Renfrew and Greenock. The driver tells me I am lucky that they didn’t just throw me a set of keys and tell me to get on with it, as they did to him on his first day. At least tomorrow [when I WILL be driving], I have an idea about how to do the paperwork, and how to operate a tail lift, where to get diesel, how to prevent a pallet from going over the end of the tail lift etc. etc…
Was finished and heading home before 2.00.
As for tomorrow, I think the biggest problem will be finding the drops, so it might take me a while. But that’s what learning is all about.

Al.

We always say, getting the licence is the easy bit, learning the job starts the day after and doesn’t finish till the day you retire :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

It seems like you landed on your feet there, a day out as a van boy being shown the ropes makes a big difference.
I hope you’ve got a good street map. The Philips ones of an area are pretty good. Two of them cover the whole of the central belt.

I hope today soes as well as yesterday. :smiley:

Actually had to earn my corn today, and drove a Scania 6 wheeler. Have to say, it was nothing like the lorry I did my training in. The 8 speed gearbox took me a while to figure out, with the high and low ratio switch on the gear lever. The weather today did not help much. I had to go from Glasgow to Irvine at 6am, and the van boy had to ask if I knew about the 12’6" bridge in Dalry, reminded me that the lorry is 13’0". Now that could have been nasty, because I have to admit I was too busy concentrating on other things.
All’s well that ends well though, we dropped 17 pallets in Irvine, went back to Glasgow and then did a run to Renfrew with 5 pallets.
I thoroughly enjoyed the driving bit, just not so keen on handballing all that stuff in the pouring rain!

Al.

alcraw62:
Actually had to earn my corn today, and drove a Scania 6 wheeler. Have to say, it was nothing like the lorry I did my training in. The 8 speed gearbox took me a while to figure out, with the high and low ratio switch on the gear lever. The weather today did not help much. I had to go from Glasgow to Irvine at 6am, and the van boy had to ask if I knew about the 12’6" bridge in Dalry, reminded me that the lorry is 13’0". Now that could have been nasty, because I have to admit I was too busy concentrating on other things.

I bet it’s a lesson you’ll not forget though - nice of him to mention it in the first place and not leave it 'till your up againbst it :wink: . Put it down to experience.

All’s well that ends well though, we dropped 17 pallets in Irvine, went back to Glasgow and then did a run to Renfrew with 5 pallets.
I thoroughly enjoyed the driving bit, just not so keen on handballing all that stuff in the pouring rain!

Neither am I :open_mouth: :smiley: . I’m not surpised, glad it didn’t dampen your enthusiasm too much though.

Cheers

Ian.

Good start then Al. Lucky you! Definitely recommend these Philips maps plus the Nicolson ones for the bits that are missed.
I’m having a hectic week with the Royal Mail, but plenty of reversing into docks, so lots of good experience, plus criss-crossing the Kingston Bridge in the evening rush hour. The nerves are being tested :open_mouth:
Gordy