First day on bin lorries

Just an account of my day, wanted to tell someone as I know the mrs wont understand/be interested lol!!!

I was asked by my agency to go to two (three once we’d waited and half hour and I’d been half hour too keen lol) hours unpaid training yesterday thinking id get the odd days work out of it.

The depot is ten mins drive from my house and I was free so thought why not. Then I got a call from the agency asking me to work today, and an hour into my shift I missed a call asking if I could do next week to. Result.

I was given my (new) log book, defect book, roundsheet, keys and introduced to one of the loaders and told to meet the other on the round as on friday his house is one road into the round.

It was a nerve racking start seeing an extra few feet of hopper swinging about the place but I soon got used to it. The company has a “No reversing without banksman” policy, and a rear camera, which helped with the nerves of squeezing a truck, in reverse, through a gap lined with cars/walls and I got it down a narrow street I would have hesitated taking my car down.

The loaders were great, really helpful. When I asked if i was stopping in the right places for them to load they said stop where you like and we’ll walk up.

We had another truck sent out to us as the first one’s hydraulics struggled with the heat. The replacement packed up to due to a faulty switch and fuse so we had another hour wait for the fitter to come and fix it.

Only three hours late back (who cares I’m on hourly rate) but all done and dusted and looking forward to another week :slight_smile:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

jamesfwpurdy:
Just an account of my day, wanted to tell someone as I know the mrs wont understand/be interested lol!!!

I was asked by my agency to go to two (three once we’d waited and half hour and I’d been half hour too keen lol) hours unpaid training yesterday thinking id get the odd days work out of it.

The depot is ten mins drive from my house and I was free so thought why not. Then I got a call from the agency asking me to work today, and an hour into my shift I missed a call asking if I could do next week to. Result.

I was given my (new) log book, defect book, roundsheet, keys and introduced to one of the loaders and told to meet the other on the round as on friday his house is one road into the round.

It was a nerve racking start seeing an extra few feet of hopper swinging about the place but I soon got used to it. The company has a “No reversing without banksman” policy, and a rear camera, which helped with the nerves of squeezing a truck, in reverse, through a gap lined with cars/walls and I got it down a narrow street I would have hesitated taking my car down.

The loaders were great, really helpful. When I asked if i was stopping in the right places for them to load they said stop where you like and we’ll walk up.

We had another truck sent out to us as the first one’s hydraulics struggled with the heat. The replacement packed up to due to a faulty switch and fuse so we had another hour wait for the fitter to come and fix it.

Only three hours late back (who cares I’m on hourly rate) but all done and dusted and looking forward to another week :slight_smile:

My loaders are all a bunch of lazy ■■■■■■■■ and go mental if you even slightly run past their bin by about 2 metres, kid you not :unamused: i know some of them are heavy because I’ve done and presently do it myself sometimes but I can understand that even with a camera it’s not easy to stop on the marks.

Well in James, sounds like a breeze compared to Sams :laughing: :laughing:

Update…

Ended up with two weeks work covering a green waste driver’s holiday.

It was all going swimmingly untill the last two days when we lost time for breakdowns. Two hours due to a damaged air dryer leaking air and keeping the parking brake on, and then the next day 1 1/2 hours due to a kerbstone stuck between the rear wheels!!! Apparently its my fault because i was in the driving seat. If Id have been out of the truck and noticed it wouldnt have been my fault!!!

Alright end to the week though, I asked the manager if they ever had any regular jobs going and he said “Funnily enough we were just talking about you. I dont want to get your hopes up but we may have a vacncy in the near future as we’re very happy with you”!!! Woo hoo so fingers crossed.

Sounds like good news on the horizon, hope it goes well for you mate.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

My idea of a lorry driving job isn’t really being a bin wagon driver, but it it’s what floats your boat then why not :slight_smile: even i guess if it’s just something until something else come up.

They said the same for me where I’m driving the bin wagons but I don’t really enjoy it to be honest. Constantly looking for something else.

Totally agree but its a foot in the door and £22,000 a year for 35hours a week seems a little better than £8.50 as and when works available.

jamesfwpurdy:
Totally agree but its a foot in the door and £22,000 a year for 35hours a week seems a little better than £8.50 as and when works available.

Congrats on the work,

I have to agree with your sentiments, you start at a regular time know what you are doing etc, no doubt will be OT if you want it etc, good wage and good hours what more do you want,

Oh I know 19k a year living in a tin box mon - fri never seeing the family running to end of hours daily.

Trust me if you get the job take it you will be better off in the long run.