First agency job starts Monday

Got a call from the agency this morning. Offered me work next week with a cash and carry in Hillington, near Glasgow. Gratefully accepted! Although I am starting a call centre job on 20th December, I want to go out driving a class 2, just for the experience and to see whether I enjoy it or not. [Since I only passed my test last week].
No idea what kind of lorries they have, so I hope it is similar to drive as the one I did my training in.
So if any of you see a Filshill lorry looking lost in Scotland next week, please help!! The agency said I will have a drivers mate, so hopefully he will keep me right.
Any tips for a total newbie will be much appreciated…

Al.

Take your time and as questions.

If in doubt check with the office and try to get clear directions from them to the drops.

When I 1st started had a fear of finding my way to drops - if the office gives you directions it makes it easier. Also when you get to a drop tell them you are new and they should help you out.

ALLWAYS ASK

Not a lot to say Mezz, bar good luck and enjoy :wink: . Being cash and carry, it’ll probabley be to high street store, and if you’ve got a drivers mate, garunteed it’ll be handball :open_mouth: . You can get seom very good drivers mates and some [zb] poor ones. Keep the poor ones in line. Hope you enjoy it :wink: .

It sounds like gobbldeygooke, I know, but this the drivers hours regs might save you a lot of grief :wink: . Print them out and take them with you, having read and digested the important bits. IE Driving hours, daily rest, weekley rest, breaks etc :wink: . Their are abridged versions knocking around, but these are straight from the horses mouth :unamused: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: .

good luck al i remember my first job i was pooin my self for the day again good luck i know u will enjoy it

Good luck alcraw62 :slight_smile: , Have fun and let us
know how you get on.

yes you normally do double man as it’s mostly if not all handball into shops etc.they are based on the left side of hillington ind est,you’ll see there name as you drive up hillington rd.good luck,might see you in and around that neck if i’m in hillington area,normally get the odd kooltech delivery on the other side of ind est.good luck,take a towel to wipe the sweat of your head :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for all the encouraging messages, especially to Liberace for the link to Drivers’ hourd and tachograph rules. I have printed them and will find time to look at them over the weekend.
Looking forward to Monday, and the start of the steep learning curve which is bound to follow.
Will let you know how it goes…

Al.

Good luck and try to resist the temptation to rush if you get behind. My office would never give directions so before i left one drop I would plan the route to the next and write it down on a note pad. But I do have the attention span of a senile goldfish.

Good luck.

alcraw62:

Al.

I recommend one of these

:wink:

Denis,

can you tell us exactly what the Hour Guard thingy does and how much it costs please.

Cheers

John, have a shuftie around the Hour Guard Users Forum :wink: .

Thanks Liberace,

I have now had a look, ta. Sounds good. More readies to stump up, just ordered a TomTom today!

Denis F:

alcraw62:

Al.

I recommend one of these

:wink:

That’s always assuming you can actually get one! I placed my order back at the end of October, and I’m still waiting…

Which tom tom are you getting JayHoe.
PDA or the go version. Also Roymondo
I found the Hour Guard site back in
early October when I joined this site and
they was sold out then.

Convoy,

I have ordered the standalone unit. Why? Bigger screen than using a PDA (I haven’t got one of those anyway), voice is better from the standalone than using a PDA’s speakers. Good mount with it, I will buy a 2nd mount and leave in the car (i.e. 1 mount perm in my car, the other to take with me and swap between trucks). No wires… Free downloads of low bridges, service areas speed cameras etc.

User Reviews here globalpositioningsystems.co. … lprods.php

In-depth Review here
globalpositioningsystems.co. … ewprod.php

Some (!!) available free downloads here
poihandler.com/overview.asp

Oh, and also a nice shiny new toy to have before Christmas that I actually CAN justfiy to the Mrs :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

PS. I have ordered it now using the Currys discount voucher in another thread on this site. SHould arrive by the end of next week.

Well done on passing the test mate, sorry I haven’t been on sooner, too busy truckin :smiley:
The first shift will be the worst then it gets better, honest.
I’ve been out with the Royal Mail this week and its a good job although I’ve been in a 7.5 tonner. Very good for getting local knowledge built up and the drivers have been very supportive. The patter at the drivers rest room is great…
My maps are my biggest asset. Went down to Nicolson in Largs and they sorted me out with everything I need for Central Scotland.
I might get a drivers hours thingy because I keep forgetting to switch my tacho back from rest to drive, doh.
I hope all goes well and you get time to get out on the divvy
Gordy

Although I am starting a call centre job on 20th December, I want to go out driving a class 2, just for the experience and to see whether I enjoy it or not. [Since I only passed my test last week].

Ah, tis the work of the devil :smiling_imp: :imp:

Dont ring me trying to sell something I dont want at a price I can’t afford at a time which is unsuitable :open_mouth:

Maybe you could sell Davey Drivers hour guards to haulage companies :laughing:

JayHoe:
Convoy,

I have ordered the standalone unit. Why? Bigger screen than using a PDA (I haven’t got one of those anyway), voice is better from the standalone than using a PDA’s speakers. Good mount with it, I will buy a 2nd mount and leave in the car (i.e. 1 mount perm in my car, the other to take with me and swap between trucks). No wires… Free downloads of low bridges, service areas speed cameras etc.

I have been reading loads of posts to do with
sat nav and find it very difficult to choose between
pda and go version. I am wanting voice more than
the screen and want it for car and eventually trucks.
I did want one for the new year but I used auto route
and a map to find what i wanted but would like one just for when
I get in to towns ect but still use a map aswell. The go version
is cheaper than a pda bundle. I dont need anything fancy like
mp3 or to surf the internet but dont want to pay over £300 and
it being limited in what it can do. I will have to see what things
can be added to the pda and do I really need them.

Convoy :confused: