First day tomorrow

Hi All

I have my first day as a class 2 driver working for co-op tomorrow, very excited to finally have got the breakthrough, was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips to share?

cheers

Make sure your cages are strapped in, take your time and enjoy yourself.

Just dont panic and you will be fine… Remember if in doubt ask, most drivers will help if they are able to and its better to be a little cautious than to ■■■■ it up…

Check everything you was taught, assuming your a new driver?? Tacho, daily checks, route, paperwork in order. Go Trucking… :smiley:

Tell EVERYONE you come across that it’s your first day on the job, you’ll be amazed how most people will willingly give you a helping hand.

As above tell everyone your new, it puts you at ease and people are then fine if your taking your time. Anything that you are unsure of ASK, you mite feel awkard at the time but it will make your working day far less stressful. Dont leave that yard unless your 100% sure about what your lorry does and how to do the work, you’ll look a bigger ■■■ when it all goes wrong. Dont except to be as quick as the other drivers. Take your sat nav and maps with you and make sure you have enough money so if you go somewhere and havn’t got a map to cover that area you can buy one. Come across as keen and willing, if your waiting to be loaded and havn’t got anything to do, ask for something to do, this will go along way!

Well I had an interesting first day, arived at harthill depot had 3 drops 1 to carron village in falkirk and 2 to great western road glasgow, found the driving to be no problem at all felt comfortable in the scania that i was provided with but found the unloading at the first drop a bit daunting as it was my first time, (no training or advice given at depot despiting knowing it was my first day) had to get the shop to help who werent best pleased although realised it wasnt really my fault, got that out the way and made it to glasgow had to go to my 2nd gwr stop first as lorry had been packed with all pallets and cages for that shop infront, managed to do unloading there fine felt more comfortable but when i got to the other gwr shop it was closed and had to take the load back, all in all felt good on my first day and looking forward to more days (hopefully get more from the agency)

Hiyyaaa edinburgher_driver, sounds like your first day went well for you - glad you’re enjoying. Happy trucking :smiley:

Glad it went well.

Good first day and its outa the way brill , always better to be slower and get truck back in one piece and remember once you have done a drop once you know what to expect next time and will be like an ol pro in no time :wink:

jen x

remember my first shift in an artic managed to dertoy a set of traffic lights right out side Falkirk police station :blush: :blush: :blush: