How not to split couple!

MAC !!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

PMSFL @ the last pic. :grimacing: :grimacing:

This is the message got with this ,ā€¦

Good Morning

Please see the attached photos which highlight a health and safety issue, as well as a possible cause for concern in the non-wreckage of the trailer and its load. This movement DD****A was picked up by the driver of registration 6~~~~S, who in his haste to depart quickly, did not hook up the trailer properly and as a result, dropped it while inside our yard and this incident caused a departure delay of 18 minutes.

Regards

Laura

oh my god, 18 minutes delayed departure, thats absolutely definitely the issue hereā€¦

Oh dear JIm, I fear we are going to have to sit through another egg sucking lesson again. Iā€™m definitely taking an egg in with me this time and asking the trainer if he could remind me if itā€™s the pointy end or the other one. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Still get paid for sitting and listening to ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  so not all bad.

Got a better one than that, yesterday I backed on to a double decker and didnā€™t check the height correctly. Youā€™ve guessed it Missed the Kingpin. Had to do some heavy cranking to get the trailer up a few inches to drive out and then re adjust the height to couple up. First time it ever happened and believe me it will be the last, bloody embarassing.

Paul-H:
Got a better one than that, yesterday I backed on to a double decker and didnā€™t check the height correctly. Youā€™ve guessed it Missed the Kingpin. Had to do some heavy cranking to get the trailer up a few inches to drive out and then re adjust the height to couple up. First time it ever happened and believe me it will be the last, bloody embarassing.

I did the exact same thing on Immingham dock the week b4 last! Couldnā€™t lift the trailer so had to wait an hour for DFDS shunters to start work, get a 40tonne forklift and lift the bloody thing up! Luckly it didnā€™t damage anything! And I know what you mean by ā€œbloody embarassingā€ I felt like a rite ā– ā– ā– !

c p l

is that short for couple ā– ā– ?

Paul-H:

Donā€™t want to be holier than thou - but whenever I couple up, I always lower the suspension, back partly under, lift the suspension so the legs are off the ground, and then complete the reverse. The reason for this is twofold: one, to stop the above from happening; and two, to be sure not to damage the legs if I am not perfectly aligned.

Out of curiosity can any newly qualified driver tell me if this is the way they were taught?

Santa:
Out of curiosity can any newly qualified driver tell me if this is the way they were taught?

Nope. Way I was taught was reverse upto trailer, stop about 6 inches off it, get out and check height against kingpin, reverse all the way in.
Iā€™m guessing in the real world with less than ideal conditions - uneven ground etc - your way would be much better?
Do you drop the suspension RIGHT down, go under till the 5th wheel is underneath and then lift up before backing all the way on?

Iā€™ve just got the opportunity to gain some experience shunting in the yard for a local company, so itā€™d be good if I could impress them by doing things properly :smiley:

Cheers,

way i was taught you get out and check your height, but the unit should be slightly higher than the trailer and lift the trailer legs off the floor when you back under anyway.

I was taught the sane way as SteveP, back up, get out have a look and then reverse and couple up. This was the only time that i didnā€™t get out of the cab and look what happened, no more short cuts.

Coffeeholic:
Oh dear JIm, I fear we are going to have to sit through another egg sucking lesson again. Iā€™m definitely taking an egg in with me this time and asking the trainer if he could remind me if itā€™s the pointy end or the other one. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Still get paid for sitting and listening to ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  so not all bad.

have i missed somthing neil i thought you,d retired ā– ā– ?

Cynic-al:
way i was taught you get out and check your height, but the unit should be slightly higher than the trailer and lift the trailer legs off the floor when you back under anyway.

Taught to back under?

The good old way - line it up in the mirrors and go for it, never fails - well it has once or twice :blush: :blush:

Iā€™m only new driver my self which canā€™t comment much about this, but everytime you couple to trailer you can feel the unit going under as the weight pushes down, and if you still unsure you can get out and look or just raise u suspension and watch in your mirror when the trailer lifts up and reverse, Iā€™m sure one day I will for get to do this LOL

Of course the danger off sliding under putting the suspension all up to lift the legs is wot happened to me 2 weeks ago did this, but my co driver on nightshift never put the trailer brake on !

Result as I lift it up it starts to roll back !!!
(into the goods in office that has already been hit this year when other driver forgot to put handbrake on and when done suzzies it rolled into office!) Thankfully it never hit office this time. :wink:

Anyways thankfully I noticed trailer wasnā€™t hooking in to 5wheel pressed brake and trailer skid off (no damage) put hand brake on trl and re hooked up no problem s this time !

Fallmonk:
Of course the danger off sliding under putting the suspension all up to lift the legs is wot happened to me 2 weeks ago did this, but my co driver on nightshift never put the trailer brake on !

Result as I lift it up it starts to roll back!

I donā€™t understand this - all our trailers would have the trailer brake applied by the red line not being attached. ie spring brakes. This wouldnā€™t apply if it was a split couple of course but then one would surely check the trailer brake first?

SteveP:

Santa:
Iā€™ve just got the opportunity to gain some experience shunting in the yard for a local company, so itā€™d be good if I could impress them by doing things properly :smiley:

Cheers,

Doing it the proper way? You wont last long as a shunter mate :wink:

The correct procedure is to find the cleanest truck possible, raise the suspension to near max, line up with a good 50m gap, grind it into top Reverse gear and let her rip. Do that 30 times in one night and the unit will be covered in 5th wheel grease and youā€™ll be called a total prick. See, youā€™ll blend right in with the other shunter drivers. Oh and extra points for being to high and slamming the 5th wheel into the headboard and double points for wrecking two wing tops :laughing:

Steve-o:
Doing it the proper way? You wont last long as a shunter mate :wink:

Thats the idea, hoping I wont be shunting for long! Im lead to believe there may be a full-time job on containers if i prove myself :smiley:

Cheers,

Santa:

Fallmonk:

Result as I lift it up it starts to roll back!

I donā€™t understand this - all our trailers would have the trailer brake applied by the red line not being attached. ie spring brakes. This wouldnā€™t apply if it was a split couple of course but then one would surely check the trailer brake first?

Itā€™s a old trailer mate , manual air brake valve , but your 100% right I should have checked the brake was on before I reversed into it , moral off the story always asume the other guys a idiot and you will never go wrong !!!