How hazardous is water?

I’ve been following the news on the flooding as I used to live in Cheltenham and have family in Gloucester. Responding to the complaints about bowsers running dry a Severn Trent spokesman explained;

“The tankers that are available are large articulated tankers and it’s difficult to navigate around small streets to refill them,” he told BBC News.

“The second problem we’ve experienced has been the number of drivers that are qualified to drive tanker lorries of this nature.”

Now, I’ve never driven a tanker but understand the theory of how to avoid them having a lie down at roundabouts etc. but didn’t think any axtra qualifications were required for water! My guess is that it’s nothing to do with the driving, more a question of needing to attend a 5 day H&S/induction course in working the taps when you get there.

Can anyone convince me this isn’t just an excuse?

I’m off to Gloucester later to drive said tankers. £30/hour min of 15 hours B&B paid for. Kerching! Now apparently I was told “doesnt matter if its a rest day” so I may be correct in thinking that these are tacho exempt for some reason.

They are different to drive. They want me to pump water away so I’m guessing these are going to be unbaffled tankers (non foodstuff ones) not delivering to the bowsers.

The last thing that they want is some trumpet turning a tanker over. I only drove milk tankers for a while but they are there to catch you out. Its going to be differnet as there will not be a great deal of other cars (cept the ones floating past you) that you have to avoid.

The problem is that there aren’t many people who are happy with the thought of driving tankers.

At my spot, I’m the only agency driver out of the dozens that go there who pulls tankers. Non of them will even pull them even though they have nothing to do at either end, let alone be interested in using the pumping gear.

No quals needed - it’s just the lack of people willing to drive them that’s the problem.

I’d be quite happy to do it, it’d make a nice change from the supermarket stuff and working pumping gear has to be better than wheeling off tons of food and drink. Yes, I’d be a bit nervous to start and in no hurry to get anywhere but everyone has a first time.

Sockpuppet, did this just come up as agency or did you approach ST direct?
at £30/hour I’d be happy to take some unpaid leave to go help out! Probably wouldn’t want the B&B though - I’m only an hour’s commute away and would rather get home for a shower!

Aye and me for £30 p/h I’d be up for it .
Driving a tanker wouldn’t bother me , just take your time with it til you get used to how it reacts .
I would imagine not to different to having to coast round a roundabout with 28500 T of kegs on .

Yep, I’ll have a crack at that for £30/hr.

See? Its always rained like that in Gloucster. Thats where the nursery rhyme “Dr.Foster went to Gloucster in a shower of rain, he stepped in a puddle right up to his middle and never went there again” ! Its always been like that there.

Sockpuppet:
I’m off to Gloucester later to drive said tankers.

For that rate I’d join you, and I’d take the B&B in cash. :smiley:

P.M. me contact details.

Mike-C:
See? Its always rained like that in Gloucster. Thats where the nursery rhyme “Dr.Foster went to Gloucster in a shower of rain, he stepped in a puddle right up to his middle and never went there again” ! Its always been like that there.

succinct, topical analysis - another direct hit mr.c :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ever thought of joining sky “rolling” news mate? :laughing:

£30 an hour plus B+B, I’m up for that. I’ve driven sewage tankers down in cornwall (all be it rigid)
Does that mean I’m experienced■■?
:smiley:

Sockpuppet:
I’m off to Gloucester later to drive said tankers. £30/hour min of 15 hours B&B paid for. Kerching! Now apparently I was told “doesnt matter if its a rest day” so I may be correct in thinking that these are tacho exempt for some reason.

Got any details?

Conor:

Sockpuppet:

Got any details?

I doubt it :wink: :unamused: :unamused:

On the subject of ‘Driving’ tankers, some years ago Steve Sharpe wrote a very informative article for T&D entitled “It’s a Rollover”.

I have an abridged version of it on my hard drive formatted in Word.

In view of the current crisis, and at risk of getting my wrists slapped over Copyright, :blush: for the purposes of Health and Safety regarding anyone inexperienced in driving tankers, I will risk offering to forward it as an email attachment.

If you haven’t got “Word”. You won’t be able to open it.

No need to post email addy, as I have access to that through the Admin level.
:slight_smile:

It might take a couple of days. :wink:

Dr Foster went to Gloucester
In a shower of rain
He stepped in a puddle
Right up to his middle
And never went there again

Bit of a coincidence isn’t it……

2007 Version

PM Brown put on a frown
And got up in the morning
Sent out a fax
“Increase the Tax”
And blame it on global warming

My agy got me this gig.

Phoned me at stupid o clock last night (I get the feeling ST were starting at Gloucester and working northwards on the agencies). Managed to get a massive 4 hours today!

They decided that by the time they had got thier finger out (midday) it wasnt worth it today. Now I have a feeling they are not as organised as they would like to make you think. Infact I have a feeling the words arse and elbow are going to get put together here.

Try again tommorrow.

Was looking forward to taking some pics of a fairly different job. Instead I went down the gym.

You what !!!

You went down on jim :open_mouth:

Sockpuppet:
My agy got me this gig.

Phoned me at stupid o clock last night (I get the feeling ST were starting at Gloucester and working northwards on the agencies). Managed to get a massive 4 hours today!

They decided that by the time they had got thier finger out (midday) it wasnt worth it today. Now I have a feeling they are not as organised as they would like to make you think. Infact I have a feeling the words arse and elbow are going to get put together here.

Try again tommorrow.

Was looking forward to taking some pics of a fairly different job. Instead I went down the gym.

and we’ll look forward to them - shame ST reckon they have some mains water back on already :laughing:

jj72:
and we’ll look forward to them - shame ST reckon they have some mains water back on already :laughing:

Good news! Going down the Gloucester.

Sockpuppet:

Good news! Going down the Gloucester.

Bad news. With the TA. Unit been called in. We’ve already got some guys down there but we are going to replace the ones that have been there for a week to continue dishing out the water.

You’ll shift more with buckets than dishes mate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ref Quals for those tankers, may not be the driving of the tankers but the checks required for and of the contents ie " Hydrachlorination" checks (spelling of it a bit wavey), basically making sure the water is fit for drinking after it has been in the tanker, the same checks as required on aircraft water bowsers.