Hidden dangers!

After the shocking news of Mal and the disturbing news of PaulGY I’m going to make it 3! :open_mouth:
My best friend and trucknet member Datapost who has been a long term member and infrequent poster has looked grey lately, I put it down to working too hard and a young family but I did have the desire to start nagging and stated that he’d got that Penrith face about him (the jock runs from the midlands leave a definate stamp of exhaustion and strain!) Datapost rarely moans but a phone call on wednesday night he informed me that he was suffering from pain in his leg (but don’t tell the wife, I don’t want her to worry.)
My birthday call on thursday reveiled that on awakening in the morning he couldn’t stand up so a visit to the doctors resulted in immediate referal to the hospital and a diognosis of DVT (deep vein thrombosis). DP is in his early 30’s doesn’t smoke or drink (heavily!) but he does a lot of mileage and just trailer swaps at his destination which limits his physical activity at work.
The doctors asked:-
Do you suffer from head aches?
Well yes I breathe in diesel fumes all day, the eye strain and tiredness don’t all drivers?
So the doctor asked:-
Do you suffer from back pain?
Well yes I’m a driver, many drivers have back pain isn’t that an occupational hazard?
So folks please be aware that there maybe a more serious reason for normal complaints be aware of hidden dangers, DVT is life threatening, DP is young and active outside of work, ok I admit he only eats junk but all the same his job is suspected of causing these health problems so please don’t ignore symptoms!

LT, it just goes to show we aint doing ourselves any favour being grin and bear it merchants, Ive been the worst in the world for it. Hope your mate is ok LT, and sees it as a warning, it’s just a job really aint it?

I hope your friend is OK LT, please pass on my good wishes for a speedyrecovery to him.

There is avery simple way to avoid DVT, apart from physical activity, just take one asprin every day, this thins out the blood. :exclamation:

I hope your friend get sorted :wink:

Hi pat just a small comment about your idea of medication…having had heart problems i am on a daily intake of drugs including aspirin…but…the doctors told me that long term use will damage the lining of the stomach…so therefore i have to take an additional drug to counteract this…so beware…
have a nice day

Red wine is also supposed to be good for thining the blood, and much nicer to take than asprin. Mind you if your blood gets so thin it won’t clot if you cut yourself you may have taken too much red wine. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Red wine is also supposed to be good for thining the blood,

sounds good to me :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

LT i hope your mate gets better soon :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Red wine is also supposed to be good for thining the blood, and much nicer to take than asprin. Mind you if your blood gets so thin it won’t clot if you cut yourself you may have taken too much red wine. :wink: :smiley:

Personally, I think I’d prefer the aspirin :exclamation:. Red wine is like drinking vinegar :imp: .

Cheers.

the trouble with taking aspirine every day is it doesnt all get used by the body
with prolonged use it builds up in the body and will eventually get to dangerous levels :cry: this effect gets worse the older you are and can cause internal bleeding liver problems etc so please dont take it unless your doctor knows about it oh it can also raise blood pressure as well …just great for the medical :open_mouth:

taking 2 now and then for a headache though is not a problem ( :blush: thought id better add that before glaxosmithclyne sued :smiley: :smiley:

For daily use of Aspirin, you should be taking the 75mg enteric coated tablet.
The normal dose of aspirin is too high for daily use and also dissolves in the stomach, not a good idea.
The enteric coating allows the tablet to travel through the stomach into the duodenum(small intestine) and then dissolves in a much safer environment.

However, I will add very firmly, before you embark on this sort of self treatment, you must go and see your Doctor due to the potential dangers involved.
Aspirin does not “thin” the blood, it reduces its ability to clot, thereby helping to prevent the potentially lethal effects of DVT.

LT, best regards to your friend.

Coffeeholic:

I’ll chance it! :wink:

I would like to say thanks to all of you for the kind regards and well wishes…

I am on a speedy recovery thanks to a Darling Wife (Also a fellow trucker)…

Thanks to Ladytrucker for the kind words…

A Warning to all… This is the second time i have had this problem in the last 2 years and i have only just turned 31…

I have very active hobbies so dont take it for granted that because you are active outside your vehicle that you will not be affected…

look for the signs !!!

HEADACHES
BACKACHES
PINS AND NEEDLES OR CRAMPS IN YOUR LIMBS
SHORTNESS OF BREATH
TIGHTNESS OF MUSCLES (Other than exercised muscles)

Hope this is some help to you all

Thanks again and i will update you as to my well being soon

I was watching a safety video on the plane to Greece last year which mentioned moving your feet in circular motions to keep the circulation going to help prevent DVT on long flights. Since then I have got in the habit of doing it on long runs. Fine if you’ve got cruise-control. It does stop the legs getting stiff and numb after 4.5hrs on the motorway, so must do some good.

Maybe red-wine every night, followed by aspirin in the morning for the hangover gives extra protection. :wink:

Has anybody else suffered with DVT?

Not in a big truck, no. I did have one when I was a van O/O. ■■■■ A&E didn’t believe me… but I happened to know the signs well enough to know.

Warm, Red blotches on your leg are a significant sign. Keep an eye out.

Some good infomation here.