On The Scrapheap

@37 :frowning:

As all you regulars will know I’ve tried several companies with the hope of getting a job,all to no avail.The reason…I had a heart attack in November 2007(never smoked,reasonably fit,6ft 2" and 14st)which led to me having a triple by pass :frowning: :open_mouth: . I have had the all clear from the consultant who carried out the op; and have had the treadmill test as required by the DVLA,passed that and had my licences reinstated…YAY! However whenever I apply for a job and answer(honestly)the medical questionnaire it is always met with a nervous “we’ll have to notify our insurance company”(fair enoough)and so far EVERY job has been a no! I have come to the conclusion that my "Tramping and Class1"days are over,quite prematurely :frowning: . Anyone got any advice? Let this also be a lesson to you all…It can happen to anyone at anytime!! Take it easy and chill,and please consider getting a regular check-up with your GP,if not for you,but for your wife/partner and children. :smiley:

lie every ■■■■ else does :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

that’s totally ■■■■! I hope things turn around for yot soon. Lying sounds good you’ve got nothing to loose

If the DVLA medical say your are fit then you are !!! Your medical problems have been taken care off, I only tell them of current problems and not the problems that I have had, and believe me I have had a few. Think of this how many drivers have drug or drink problems and dont say, or are ex addicts.

Keep schtum & keep the job. A large part of a pro drivers skills is to be a first class liar. :laughing:

harry:
Keep schtum & keep the job. A large part of a pro drivers skills is to be a first class liar. :laughing:

theres your answer m8, at the end of the day you need to live ! If you have the all clear, then dont tell em unless you still want to be out of work!

Thanks boys :smiley: It seems the general concensus is to be economical with the truth :wink: :wink: Once more unto the breach.

Hexenhammer:
Thanks boys :smiley: It seems the general concensus is to be economical with the truth :wink: :wink: Once more unto the breach.

If you had done that in the first instance you could have been well fixed up with Virginia and the likes now,… Gud luck to ye

routier:

Hexenhammer:

If you had done that in the first instance you could have been well fixed up with Virginia and the likes now,… Gud luck to ye

Thanks routier. Fingers crossed,and here we go again :smiley:

Best of luck with your decision, Hexenhammer. Meanwhile, I was only a week from doing rare, niff-naff & occasional agency stuff to going full-time on a career change from HM Forces. Then, four weeks ago I crushed a vertibra (technically a broken back) in a cycle prang. Let’s not go into the ‘blame’ lark, but I’m bricking-it in case I’ll not be up to tipping supermarket cages. I’ll keep zip too, methinks…unless you guys have any sage-like advice, please…

Happy Keith:
Best of luck with your decision, Hexenhammer. Meanwhile, I was only a week from doing rare, niff-naff & occasional agency stuff to going full-time on a career change from HM Forces. Then, four weeks ago I crushed a vertibra (technically a broken back) in a cycle prang. Let’s not go into the ‘blame’ lark, but I’m bricking-it in case I’ll not be up to tipping supermarket cages. I’ll keep zip too, methinks…unless you guys have any sage-like advice, please…

Sorry to hear about your prang HP,take it easy and,by the look of it we all have to “gloss” over certain aspects of our past.Good luck with your job(s).

Hexenhammer:
Thanks boys :smiley: It seems the general concensus is to be economical with the truth :wink: :wink:

You’ll just be doing as our wonderful politicians do. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Stan

Stanley Knife:

Hexenhammer:
Thanks boys :smiley: It seems the general concensus is to be economical with the truth :wink: :wink:

You’ll just be doing as our wonderful politicians do. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Stan

PMSL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,However,it’s sadly true

If you do lie and you have another Heart Attack and God forbid die, your spouse and children will end up with nothing… :frowning: :frowning:

Deepinvet:
If you do lie and you have another Heart Attack and God forbid die, your spouse and children will end up with nothing… :frowning: :frowning:

which theyll all end up with if he stays unemployed?
the way some people drive,i reckon they tell porkies about actually havin a licence!
treat it as a harsh warning,im sure youll stay in better shape,an after bypass etc,no reason why you cant be fitter than before?
all the best :wink:

Deepinvet:

There you have it ! Positive or negative . Live a life or a suffer a slow death : The choice is yours…? Not a real brainer. :laughing:

harry:

Deepinvet:

There you have it ! Positive or negative . Live a life or a suffer a slow death : The choice is yours…? Not a real brainer. :laughing:

Look at this way I am 47 unfit not been near a quack for yonks …you have had surgery and all the tests and aftercare to confirm you are now OK and fit to drive :smiley: :smiley:

How many are like me and don’t know the state of the old ticker…

Im in the sod em camp mate your not a danger so crack on and good luck… :laughing:

thecoder0:

harry:

Deepinvet:

Look at this way I am 47 unfit not been near a quack for yonks …you have had surgery and all the tests and aftercare to confirm you are now OK and fit to drive :smiley: :smiley:

How many are like me and don’t know the state of the old ticker…

Im in the sod em camp mate your not a danger so crack on and good luck… :laughing:

Thanks buddy :smiley: I appreciate the attitude,it is deffo the right one,as you said…sod em :smiley: Hex;

Deepinvet:

How so ?

Okay, so the firm, or rather, the firm’s insurance company, may well baulk at paying their bit; but I would imagine (hope) the guy has some proper life insurance of his own, so missing out on the 3 - or 5 grand from the firm shouldn’t be too big an issue ■■

An I agree with thecoder() - Hexenhammer is probably more “fit for purpose” than many of us !!

Don’t be disheartened. (oops, bad choice of word. :laughing: )

Some months ago, talking to an Agency driver, his medical was due and, because he had previously suffered a stroke, he had to do the ‘treadmill test’, which has nothing to do with the brain but, it seems, is the only test that they can realistically do for the condition.

Obviously, he passed that because he was back in working for the same firm again.

However, within weeks, whilst driving, he felt unwell, parked up the vehicle and called an ambulance, and was admitted to hospital. Another minor stroke. And the vehicle had to be ‘recovered’.

I never expected to see him working again but, about four or five months later, he is in again on ‘Agency’, at the same the customer, with a clean bill of health.

He’s not overweight. He’s not particularly of a significant age. He’s not someone who gets stressed.

And the ‘customer’ is apparently more than happy to welcome him to drive their vehicles.

Don’t give up too easily. :wink: