HIAB advice for newbie

Hello Everyone

Have posted below on Newbie forum but thought I’d put it on here as well in order to get more advice from you guys.

Been collecting LGV models (WSI models) for a while now focusing on hiabs including low loaders/semi loaders (mainly ones that have hiabs) and heavy haulage and have decided to have a go at the real thing.

Got my provisional. Nearly finished working my way through an online theory database of questions. Almost read the DVSA Guide Driving Goods Vehicles. Hopefully i’ll get the theory tests done and dusted shortly.

My problem is though (i suppose because of my interest in specific models of trucks, especially hiabs :smiley: ) i don’t really fancy doing any other type of driving work. Don’t really know where the fascination came from but I suppose people collect all sorts of things. Mines hiabs.

I wondering if i have too high expectations that i’ll be able to get a class 2, maybe a class 1 as well, and walk into a job driving those types of vehicles. I know i could just bite my lip and do other types of work but i’ve got a suspicion that i probably won’t want to do that.

I suppose if i had been collecting box body rigids, drawbars and artics i might have been more inclined to do that type of work. But have never really been interested. Have i developed an interest in certain types of trucks that a newbie would have little chance of breaking into?

At the end of the day collecting those trucks has been a hobby and i suppose i’m looking at working as a driver in the same way. I just don’t think my heart would be in doing anything else, even just for a while. Am i being a bit too picky or is it important in this line of work to enjoy what you are doing?

I am also just starting to realise the amount of rules/regulations involved in this job. It’s one thing collecting them but something altogether making a living out of it. Hope i’m not making a mistake in going down this road.

Cheers.

Mark

You will have no trouble getting a hiab job, trust me!

but !! you may have trouble finding one that pays a sensible wage :frowning:

I might have to be even more picky than I thought. :laughing:

Would all three attachments be the way to go. Sort of work I would prefer eventually would be hook. Lifting more niche loads rather than builders merchants but I don’t mind builders merchant work to start out.