HIAB work

Hi, I passed my class 2 last September, and I was wondering if I should do my HIAB? Or my class 1? And what is it like getting HIAB work for a newbie? Or class 1 for that fact! I live in the Bradford Leeds area, also if you know of any HIAB courses near me and the cost ECT I would be grateful thanks. :smiley:

HIAB training is not generally that expensive, but even if you fund it yourself you could end up in the no experience, no job situation. Some companies will put you through it if they like you, for the little it costs them they can get the driver they want, trained the way they want it done.

It is a good skill to have though and once you have got experience it becomes a real asset. When I was looking around last year, one company that were advertising went from being interested in me as one of about 30 phone calls to please can you come in on Thursday when they heard I had HIAB.

If you do decide to do it, hunt around and ask what training they actually provide. If possible get one that covers basic signalling, that way when people start doing things like pointing at the sky wiggling their finger in a circular motion you’ll know what to do.

thanks, for the info ,ive seen a job advertised saying HIAB preffered but training given so i might try one of those ! :laughing: finding it a bit dead so far this year ,i only do fridays cos i work shifts in a factory and ive only worked 2 times this year so far with the agency ! :astonished:

Try it, don’t blag or bluff it. Just be professional and smart and tell them that you are willing to learn and will get the job done with the minimum fuss whilst staying legal.

If you’re good tell them, but don’t give it the big I AM.

If they ask about any thing you are not 100% on, tell them and the chances are they’ll like what they see and want to put the time into you. How about offering to do a day for them with one of their other drivers as a trial.

You’ve get everything to gain and nothing to lose.