New to HGV and Hiab work

Three weeks into driving for Jewsons and really struggling with the main two areas.
1, driving and parking in such tight areas where I’m been sent.
2, using the brick grab safe and fast enough to satisfy my boss.

I have till end on month, 3 weeks before it’s sink or swim, ie, asked to leave.
I will be given some shadowing days and practice time when no driving jobs required. I also plan to put extra hours I on my own in the yard to gain more experience and skills. Using the remote does not come naturally to me at all, I am having to think each move through. After an hour or so I’m completely mentally exhausted.

If anyone has and any advice for me I would be so grateful. 59 years old and absolutely new to this line of work.

Hi mate, I’ve been driving for just over a year now and I totally get where your coming from, I asked so many people for advice on reversing as that’s what I was struggling with most, and the best advice I or anyone can give you is just give it time and it will eventually click, the more you do it the easier it becomes TRUST me, your probably thinking exactly the same as me “I don’t think I can do this” but honestly mate it does get better you just need the experience and the more yards you go to its all valuable experience that you will take.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Dont actually *try* to do it fast. Just keep it steady and you will get quicker. Dont pressure yourself, your company think enough of you already, and are investing time in you now. They arent going to kick you out if you arent a sprinter already. They just might kick you out if you do damage.
Don`t worry.

I feel for you when i was a new pass i was given a 7.5 t and was expected to drive in the center of london getting to my drops etc some of witch where timed. I dont know if you will end up with regular drops like i did but if you do that is half the battle won as you wont be rushing around trying to find out where to park and where the store is.

I have never done hiab work so cat realy advise on any tips or tricks however, you seem prepaird to practise in your own time so you obviously want to learn. All i can say is practise does make perfect .

maybe when you shadow someone ask them if they can watch you using the hiab and see if they can make any suggestions or if it is just a case of practice and if you feel you have a good repor with hem ask them iff the boss tries to overload the drivers

sorry i cant be anymore help
coop

Only way to get more proficient with the HIAB is to keep using it. Remote control ones are notoriously slow compared to manual levers, fortunately I never had one.
Don’t feel pressurised into rushing. Believe me, it takes a lot longer to restack a dropped pack of bricks than the few extra minutes it takes to do it carefully. Getting used to using several levers at the same time is the art. My first 20t load of roof tiles took me several hours, in the end I could do it in 20 mins! The main bit of advice is to keep clear of the clamp release lever until you need it :smiley:

When I was on for Jewsons there used to be a number at HQ (Swindon??) that you used to be able to ring to complain about conditions at the local branch. Kinda like a driver line thing. Is that still about?
The depot managers care about 1 thing and 1 thing only…sales figures. They dont care about traffic/ tight access etc etc hence why we had the driver line to report these ■■■■■■■■■■
I use a HIAB in my current job and have done since 1993 when I started driving for a living and I tell all the new guys at our place that they MUST go at their own pace when using the crane and DO NOT LET OTHER PEOPLE RUSH YOU! You can do a lot od damge to both property and limb if you try and fly around just to please the ■■■■■■■■ running the depot.
Builders merchants is notoriously hard work. Stupidly tight site access, drivng onto peoples drives and having to use the HIAB around BT phone wires. I lasted exactly 1 year doing that crap before I lost my temper and dragged the depot ■■■■■■■■ over his desk and threatened to carve his eyes out. Not proud of doing that, in fact its the only time I have lost the plot in job and I walked away there and then. In fact as I type this I am still embarrased at my behaviour.
Stick with it just to gain the experience but do so at your own pace and if they bin you then see it as a blessing in disguise.

Hi bud, I’ve been working for a builders merchant type company for about six years
First few weeks were a mare and I always thought I was going too slow and holding everyone out.
It’s just like learning anything and things will gradually slip into place and you’ll be swinging things about quite happily.
The parking thing is a pain but don’t be afraid to ask customers to move vehicles for you and if they can’t , then explain to them why you can’t do the delivery
Don’t ever try and lift over the top of vehicles and never reverse up driveways, there not built for it.
When you get to the drop take 5 minutes to asses everything, look for overhead obstruction and drains etc on the ground.
Once you’ve finished always walk round the truck making sure everything is ok and your pads are away(remember to turn disco lights off)
Don’t ever rush beyond your comfort speed as it takes a lot more time to pick things up or even worse damaging something or somebody.

The biggest problem is all the bosses and staff care about are sales but stand your ground and explain to them why you cant do something.
If they insist tell them to put it in writing (they won’t as Saint Gobains transport department would go mental at them)

As for being asked to leave, yeah right, Jewsons and Travis can’t get drivers for love nor money despite having put rates up.
Keep your wits about you and you’ll be fine, there’s plenty of crane jobs out there
Duncan

Hi I’m a new pass last week and am now driving for an independent builders merchant . Have just finished first week driving a 12t & 18t hiab trucks. Hiab speed will only come with practice and both cranes I have been using are completely different to use and will get different results . Best advice is to not try and rush. Like one of the other members wrote its much better to take 5 mins longer than causing damage or picking up a full pallet of goods by hand. The not looking at buttons will come I’m lucky as have been using hiab in yard before my test and now rarely look at buttons . I have been explaining to customers I’m new and they have been brilliant with me . Also don’t let the general public fluster you . Once the crane is set up you cant go anywhere they have to wait . The world won’t end if they are 2 mins late . Also getting into places is just practice again and getting used to where your truck will and won’t fit . . We are in Cornwall and there has been some very narrow lanes this week but not found one yet I couldn’t get to in the 12t. I very much doubt they would get rid of you for being slow unless you were 1 delivery a day material.

An enormous thank you for all the effort put in to try help and reassure me. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so very much.
Chris.

Tell you’re gaffer to get off you’re back. Have they got a line of drivers, waiting for you’re job?
When working at builders merchants, I’ve had managers an salesman by the throat why?
The way they decided to talk to me.
So grow a set.
Access any dangers hazards at a drop off.
Never believe that ground they want u on is solid.
Agri bags u just grab with grab. So much quicker.
Put straps on timber when loading truck.
An I’m sure if you look about there’s a better paying job near you
Good luck

If someone is getting arsy about how low it takes to do something, my response is that it’ll be quicker this way than picking it up the floor.

Also if we do it safely and right we all go home at the end of the day.

It usually has the desired effect of making people stop for a minute and consider the potential danger in what you are doing and how quickly and badly it could go wrong.

Just remember to use the pads and don’t leave them at a client’s :laughing:

You will be faster tomorrow than you were today but not doing any damage to anything and not dropping the load should be worth more. 1st pallet I ever picked up broke and I had to hand ball half a tonne of shingle, I didn’t make that mistake again

Take care and wait until you start to enjoy using the crane. You’ll get there I’m sure. Best of luck

Almost forgot a quick tip.
If you’re out and about and notice a new site starting up or one that you don’t deliver to, make a mental note of it and tell your boss when you get back.
They absolutely love that. Brownie points for you
Duncan