Hi just introducing myself

Hi i am another wannabe! i am 43 !!! is that too old to start? reason being i am a qualified carpenter and been doin ok for the last 20 years, but as you read in the papers things are goin down hill for certain reasons , i cant earn the money i used to and am really fed up an dissillusioned so i need to do something i like! as a kid i wanted to be a lorry driver but never knew how to or got round to it, my mates dad took us to sheffield at 4am in a atkinson gardener 180 ! see it made an impression on me at 9 years old that i remember it well, it was an ash tipper. any way to get to the point i passed the medical and waiting for my provisional to return, i bought the theory book and have suprised myself i feel i am doin ok at the moment, anyway if i pass that i am planning to take my C+E in enfield, with a firm called 1st class trucking, then hopefully get some experience, i am looking to be able to earn 25k i hope this will be posssible, anyhow i am glad i found this site thanks to truck & driver mag. i would appreciate any advice as i am keen to learn from experienced guys, cheers Paul…

You aint to old mate. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Ive just passed my C and im 42. Ive got my C + E next month. Age is not a problem, if you consider as long as you have your health you will still have 21/22 legal driving years left in you. Good luck with the training and keep us posted.

Hi donpablo

WELCOME.

There’s an easy answer to your question- NO. You’re not too old to learn a new skill. A good training provider will tell you that age is no barrier to learning.

So, good luck with your training. There’s plenty of good folks on here, and most will offer you any help you need. Just ask :exclamation:

:smiley: cheers lads its good that i can ask any questions or sort any worries i have on here, i am really up for it, i am finding learning the drivers hours a bit tough but i will get it in the end! has anybody any views on 1st class trucking of enfield, i have chosen them to train with just ahead of sterling, i did get a lot of pressure selling i felt from pathway but each to their own, i am looking forward to it and if i put my mind into it i am sure i will succeed in the end, i have seen lots of work advertised for agency drivers for tescos and sainsburys, not sure if they were class 1 or both , and every week there are plenty of jobs in our local paper for proffessional drivers which is what i want to become but none for carpenters! which i am fed up with! thanks for your support guys, i feel i will gain a lot from you on here.

"i am 43 !!! is that too old to start? "

Well if you are then I am :open_mouth:
I’m just about to start training & I’m 49 (nearly 50 :smiley: ) You’re never too old to learn something if you’re heart is really in it. It ain’t going to stop me anyway.

I would recommend you get the Hazard Perception DVD (if you haven’t already) as well to help witn the test. I got the one with 400 clips on it (made by Focus). It really opened my eyes to what you need to do to pass the theory. Costs £9.99 & well worth it.

I’m in a similar position to you in that I’ve been a self employed tiler & bathroom fitter for a while, but it’s getting increasingly difficult to make the money & I’ve stopped enjoying it. So, I’ve finally decided to make a change to something I’ve always wanted to do.

Driving has always been something I’ve loved, and the ultimate for me is to be a professional driver, & drive HGV’s. So I’m starting training in a few weeks with Tockwith Training in York to intially get my C licence.

Good luck to you mate. Just go for it. :smiley: