Hi all,

I’m 28 years of age, from Midlands and currently in the process of undertaking my C and C+E licences. I have been driving cars for 9 years.

I have worked in logistics, warehousing on supervisor/team lead roles for the last 4 years, but I am in a dying business and redundancy is looming. I have always liked trucks and there is a lot of truck drivers in my family on my fathers side. Driving and cars is also my number 1 hobby and I like being out and about on the open road as opposed to stuck in an office so these were some of the reasons ive decided to undertake my licences.

Last year I passed the medical, sent off and received my licence back from the DVLA with my provisional entitlement and then went on to pass my theory, hazard perception and CPC case studies all first time. I did not get chance to undertake the training/tests last year because I had a health issue with my stomach and they thought I may have needed a minor op, but it transpired I didn’t, the money id saved I then paid off some debts with as I didnt see me doing the training/test in that year so now I am just getting the pennys together again to undertake it this year, hopefully around may/june time as I do have points on my licence ( thought I was insured to drive a friends car when I wasn’t - a simple mistake which cost me dearly and one ill never make again! )

I have done a lot of research and learning into truck driving, the only things I need to really brush up on is drivers hours (see below), it seems everyone has there own opinion/idea of the rules!

I am currently a yards person at work as work inside is dying out and I’m a keen worker and hate being sat around so I am working loading and unloading trailers and I do around 10 - 15 trailers per day, all curtain siders so ive had a little experience using the curtains, strapping loads, weight distribution on the trailer so its even and not a risk for the driver. Admittedly ive had a few curtain poles to the side of the head in the winds we have had lately ! All learning i guess ! lol I have built a good friendship with many of the regulars as i never keep them waiting and get them in and out ASAP as nobody likes to be kept waiting. I mentioned to a few I was in the process of training to do their job and in return I have been given a few contacts for when I pass and a good word put in so that will hopefully get me on the ladder.

My only concern at the minute is any driving i initially get into will more than likely be agency, and/or irregular work, most places around me, agency want around 6 months to 2 years experience, or licence held for minimum of 2 years and must have driven for the last 6 months. Just baffles me how your supposed to gain experience when nobody will give you a chance! Now as i have a full time job Monday - Friday at present, the idea of quitting a full time guaranteed job ive had for over 4 years is a little daunting to say the least and a gamble, firstly being new to HGV driving and agency work, ive worked for agencies in the past and been promised regular work and only had the odd day or two, and when you have bills to pay etc you can’t live off £100 - £150 a week.

As i currently work 12 - 8pm Mon - Fri, im hoping with some of the contacts I have earned through my current job that I may be able to get some weekend work, driving on a Saturday night. I need to have a read through the working time directive but if i finish at 8pm Friday and didn’t start driving till say 10pm Saturday night, thats a rest of over 24 hours, but as said im not entirely sure how it works ! This is basically to gain some experience and knowledge of driving, I then hope I can build my trust with an employer or agency and then take the jump to quit my dying warehouse role in favour of driving. Some drivers at work have told me not to bother, mainly the older generation, but most of the young lads say its the best thing theyve ever done. I guess different generations will have different opinions as with everything in life.

Ill hush up rambling on! Thanks for reading and as and when i get time ill get into the other sections.

:slight_smile:

Hi. Just rushing out so not had a lot of time to inwardly digest the post so apologies if I don’t answer it fully.

Everyone has the same problems with getting work. The advice is to go and knock on doors. This beats agency every time. Your licence doesn’t have to be clean before you can train - though it wont help with getting work.

Stay away from brokers; always use a genuine trainer. Go look at the vehicles, the set up and the trainers. Don’t part with any money until you’ve done this. The only exception is to book on rock solid recommendation.

Don’t know where you are in the Midlands - I’m at Mansfield and Peterborough with residential courses as an option.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Working noon to 8pm means you can start driving job at 5am on Saturday

Driving for one day every other weekend will keep you legal for the EU weekly rest rules

You will need spare analogue cards for the 5 days you worked mon to fri before the weekend when you drive

Each card will need your name date start and finish time on it

After 29 days each card can be binned

Which training school are you going to use?

Thanks for the replies. Im Planning on training with j coates in leicester. Id probably do a saturday night as it would be more money plus i could rest from work during the weekdays. :slight_smile: hopefully i will do okay, every test in life be it theory written or practical i have passed first time. I passed my car first time and i have 7 licences at work for all types of forklift and machinery so hoping i can do just as well even though i know trucks are a whole different ball game! Cheers