Hi all.....

Just thought I would introduce myself… My name is Sarah and I have just passed my theory test on Monday :smiley:
All my friends think I am mad being a female wannabe trucker!!!
I cant wait to get behind the wheel… got some training booked for 10th December :smiley: Anyone got any tips on how I can prepare myself??
Thanks all :wink:

Hey, welcome. Im just going through training myself so cant realy offer much advice at the moment. Welcome to the forum and congrats on passing your theory test.

Congrats.Never be afraid to ask!

Welcome, apart from throwing your interior mirror away, I’m sure Rog will come along with his cut ‘n’ paste training tips!

Have a look at the posts on gear layouts too. They’re not that difficult to handle. My old Merc 207 van was a pig to drive, but that didn’t have any power assisted steering :smiley:

Just don’t do your training in Coventry, can’t think of a worse place for uninsured, clueless, agressive drivers, that and the ring road is crap, 3years and I can still never remember which way to get on or which exit is which.

Hello and welcome :wink:

macplaxton:
I’m sure Rog will come along with his cut ‘n’ paste training tips!

…and here it is :smiley:

Welcome Miss Candyblack :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857 & Please leave a comment on the end of it once you’ve read it — thank you.
ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote: “Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what I have to do to start with so I can tick off on paper?”

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:
Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:
Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training School. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
For some idea of cost try trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

If you have the time then this very long thread from a newbie who went through theory, C & CE might be worth a read trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … sc&start=0

Kiowan:
Just don’t do your training in Coventry, can’t think of a worse place for uninsured, clueless, agressive drivers, that and the ring road is crap, 3years and I can still never remember which way to get on or which exit is which.

The LGV training company I work for is based in Coventry - I, or the trainees have never had a problem with driving there. The trainees know the area better than me as I live in Leicester. I am with the majority of others on this site, with the view that instructors should train people to drive LGVs and not to just “know test routes”. A lorry driver must be able to assess a situation, no matter where that situation is.

Miss Candyblack:
Just thought I would introduce myself… My name is Sarah and I have just passed my theory test on Monday :smiley:
I cant wait to get behind the wheel… got some training booked for 10th December :smiley: Anyone got any tips on how I can prepare myself??
Thanks all :wink:

I have sent you a PM (Private Message)

Welcome to the forums Sarah

Congrat on passing your theory test

Your not mad there are plenty of female truck drivers out there I would be if I wasnt on the sick and there are a few more on these forums

:smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: great good for you an good luck, i have seen many an artic with a lady at the wheel, when you pass how proud you will feel that you can do something a lot of guys would want to be able to do.

Welcome to the madhouse Sarah

When I started trucking in the 80’s there were very few of us sgirls on the road over here in the UK but i saw plenty of them driving in Europe and nobody batted an eyelid.

Its a good career Sarah, so disregard your friends ideas and go for it. Let us know how you get on.

Is that Sarah or Sara? You’re not also known as Ella are you, and have a myspace page called girlietrucker with naughty pics? :laughing: :laughing: If so, welcome back :laughing: :laughing:

Hi sara ,the only advice i can give you at moment is up to and between lessons when on road in car observe position and actions of hgv’s in situations on the road for example small islands,left turns,splitting lanes etc

ROG:
The LGV training company I work for is based in Coventry - I, or the trainees have never had a problem with driving there.

Girlfriend lives in Longford so I’ve spent far more time than i’d like to in Cov, in the car, the van and on the bike (try to avoid it in the truck) and as I said, really is full of dangerous drivers, problem isn’t just clueless ones, it’s the aggression behind them. Only the other month a friend was cut up by a driver there on his bike and when he pipped the horn the guy rammed him and knocked him off his bike mashing his arm up in the process, wasn’t suprised in the least given my experiences driving there. Got to be one of the worst places for uninsured and unlicenced drivers too.

Most people I know thought I was mad to give trucking a go.
And
I am male.
:arrow_right:

We need people like you to break down another macho world.

:wink:
Whoops.
MotherTrucker is a lady.
:smiley:

Welcome to the forums

Congrat on passing your theory test :smiley:

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome :smiley:

Well done on your pass Sarah aka Miss candyblack :smiley:

My advice to you is when you start your training take your time and take it all in your stride. At the end of your training day reflect on what you have been taught and think about it. This way you absorb it better in my opinion. Good luck.
:smiley: Nige

Hi

For your test make sure its a
Low shirt , and high skirt :stuck_out_tongue:

I did and i,m a 30 year old male :smiling_imp: