Another girlie learning

Hi there
I am the young age of 45 :unamused: and have decided to do something I have always wanted to do…drive a truck.
Believe it or not only sat in one three times but have always wanted to drive one.
Now got the chance so going for it.
I sat my theory and hazard perception in feb and passed with flying colours, although didn’t expect too at all…was bag of nerves.
Now got my course booked for 25 th June. I know it a while away but need lots of tips and advise please. Have been reading posts on here and learnt a lot already.
Any tips anyone can give me while driving my car to get me used to the bigger thing would be great. :smiley:

Greetings Littleannie, you go for it, all the best for the 25th June :wink:

Loose the rear view mirror on your car and in turn that should force you to use your wing mirrors more. Who is your training booked with?

Congratulations on following your dream!

Thanks for that will do that tomorrow first thing. Booked with bassetts in stoke .

Well, Bassetts is on the list of recommended training providers on the forum here so you should have no issues with them I imagine. Have you had an assessment drive with them yet? One thing you will be told is mirrors mirrors mirrors, every third telegraph pole etc and sometimes this can be every 3-5 seconds! You still need to concentrate on what’s happening in front of you while doing this.

Mirrors before you signal, before you maneuver, before you accelerate/change gear, before you brake etc, i’m sure you get my drift.

There’s plenty of reading and training material on here and don’t be afraid to ask any questions, we’re all here to help and most of us have gone through it all recently especially in this Newbie forum. :slight_smile:

You go for it girl Just remember after you pass (which you will ) and become a fellow trucker a sweet girli smile will get you a long way lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: ja x

msptstop:
a sweet girli smile will get you a long way lol :laughing: :

I tried doing that, people just laughed at me… :frowning:

littleannie:
Any tips anyone can give me while driving my car to get me used to the bigger thing would be great. :smiley:

Welcome along Little Annie,

A few tips before starting lessons…

Look at all of the things that don’t normally concern car drivers. Weight limit signs, low bridges, width restrictions.

Look at turnings, roundabouts, junctions. What line would you take in a larger vehicle?

Ask questions on TruckNet!

Welcome, in a similar situation , in my mid to late 40’s and have recently started my new journey to, just waiting for the provisional to come back.

Donna

Welcome to the mad house

Oh btw loose the “girlie” bit you a lorry driver or a girl :question:

Hello littleannie, welcome to the forum, and good luck wiith your rigid training. I think Bassetts have quite a good reputation. And they are now a private test centre, so you do your test in and from Bassetts yard. This in my opinion is a distinct advantage
Have you had a assesment drive before you booked. What sort of gear box has the training lorry got.
It will have at least eight gears. Once you have mastered this everything else becomes much easier during your training.
Good luck keep us informed how you get on.
Lots of helpfull people here, just don’t ask anything about Stobarts!
Mike

welcome littleannie ,

Dont worry about the training all will explained by ur instrutor, thats the most important listen to him, when you start if anything u need to ask come on here theres always someone who knows the answer or can offer another way of looking at something , when you are following a lorry in your car take the line that he has taken at a junc rbt etc will give you some idea of the angles you have to take in a larger veh and I lost my rear view mirror when training to make me get used to looking in those mirrors all will become clear week beginning 25th june and dont forget a diary :wink:

all the best

jen x

Best of luck to you in June. As others have said, we are here to help and support you on your journey.

All practical advice above is good. You will not really see the benefits of more mirror checks and changing your approach speed and angles until you have 30 ft of lorry behind your seat but keep it in mind now as it will certainly give you a head start.

I know how daunting it feels. I was there 2.5 years ago. I haven’t looked back :slight_smile:

A diary of your training would be good so we can help you along the way.

Dean

Welcome and good luck for June.

Little tip, adjust your mirros slightly so you have to turn your head more when looking at them, if you can just move your eyes to see through them the examiner may not see so it gives you a way to show him your looking.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Welcome little annie.

Good luck with following your dream. I decided to follow mine a year ago. Passed my class 2 in October and Mod 4 in Jan. Just got to get the class 1. I failed that in April. :frowning:

I lost the rear view in my car too before I started training and was a big help.:slight_smile:

Hi Little Annie and welcome to the forum.
You have already had lots of good advice on here but I liked dars comment as it is difficult to explain just how different it is to driving a car.

dar1976:
All practical advice above is good. You will not really see the benefits of more mirror checks and changing your approach speed and angles until you have 30 ft of lorry behind your seat but keep it in mind now as it will certainly give you a head start.

Like you I looked at lots of posts giving advice before doing my cat C last October, I never did get around to taking my mirror out of the car and it was never a problem, I never once while driving the truck tried to look for a central rear view mirror. It was so different that I never for a moment forgot I was in a big truck, but lots of people on here recommend it so it can’t hurt to try. I will leave the truck tips for others on here but I would suggest one very useful thing and it may sound strange or even insulting at first though that is not my intention, it is this :-
Make sure you know how to drive a car correctly.
Now before you get upset at that let me explain what I mean. When I did my course it was 2 on 1, Two learners in the cab sharing the days driving. the other guy learning had to be given a refresher course on not crossing hands, not riding the clutch,how to use box junctions, when to indicate at traffic lights, and a whole range of other things that he should have known to pass his car test. he probably used up a lot of time relearning basic driving rules and skills that could have been better used learning how to drive a truck. These courses are expensive, why waste money on stuff you can re learn for yourself (if you need to) in the weeks coming up to your course for free in your own car and let your trainer see that he/she can focus on truck driving skills as you are already up to speed on all the rest.
hope this helps, it’s something positive you can do for yourself right away.
All the best and really good luck
Rich

Welcome to the forum !
one thing id add was try and rid yourself of any bad driving habits you may already have :unamused:

such as resting your foot on the clutch pedal ,not holding the steering wheel at ten to two position etc ,

all the best with the training /test

cheers Mike

Make sure you know how to drive a car correctly.
Now before you get upset at that let me explain what I mean. When I did my course it was 2 on 1, Two learners in the cab sharing the days driving. the other guy learning had to be given a refresher course on not crossing hands, not riding the clutch,how to use box junctions, when to indicate at traffic lights, and a whole range of other things that he should have known to pass his car test. he probably used up a lot of time relearning basic driving rules and skills that could have been better used learning how to drive a truck. These courses are expensive, why waste money on stuff you can re learn for yourself (if you need to) in the weeks coming up to your course for free in your own car and let your trainer see that he/she can focus on truck driving skills as you are already up to speed on all the rest.

How very true. We spend far too long teaching basic driving to folk who have been driving cars for ■■ years. Most turn up for a professional driving course never having consulted a Highway Code since they passed their car test. It’s not the best when the desire is to become a professional driver.

A lot of stress and money could be saved if people really took the trouble to make sure they were driving their car correctly. I know it sounds patronising, even rude. Sorry, but it’s a fact.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

RedlorryMan:
Hello littleannie, welcome to the forum, and good luck wiith your rigid training. I think Bassetts have quite a good reputation. And they are now a private test centre, so you do your test in and from Bassetts yard. This in my opinion is a distinct advantage
Have you had a assesment drive before you booked. What sort of gear box has the training lorry got.
It will have at least eight gears. Once you have mastered this everything else becomes much easier during your training.
Good luck keep us informed how you get on.
Lots of helpfull people here, just don’t ask anything about Stobarts!
Mike

Good luck littleannie and Bassetts are a smart outfit, I deliver into them and are a very smooth running and safe company, not ott on h&s just professional about it. This can only rub off in how they train new drivers, got some smart trucks too even the older ones and trl’s are well kept.

Hi there

Wow thanks for all the advice.
No offence taken about knowing how to drive the car properly have already re positioned my hands on steering wheel …the right way. My rear view mirror has gone. And I am now concentrating on mirror signal manoveour. So true how we get into bad habits like signalling same time we check mirror.

Will start a diary when course starts. Bassetts do have their own test centre, getting excited but oh so nervous.

Have been watching how trucks drive to and trying to understand why they do certain things in certain ways. Just trying to get as much knowledge as poss. Also reading the DSA guide to truck driving.

Thanks again all of you