Hi all (Almost new trucker)

Hi all, I’m Ben I’m 21, just about to take my practical test for C licence then go on to do my C+E and D plus my CPC ect. I’ve always wanted to become a trucker. One question i would like to ask, is what else comes in handy for being a trucker? Like i’ve been reading about doing my ADR licence which i believe is for driving petrol tankers ect? What else would come in handy and help me out? :smiley:

Thanks alot

B

A full frontal labotomy :smiley:

benyyo:
Hi all, I’m Ben I’m 21, just about to take my practical test for C licence then go on to do my C+E and D plus my CPC ect. I’ve always wanted to become a trucker. One question i would like to ask, is what else comes in handy for being a trucker? Like i’ve been reading about doing my ADR licence which i believe is for driving petrol tankers ect? What else would come in handy and help me out? :smiley:

Thanks alot

B

Hi benyyo,

To answer your question, an ADR Certificate is only one of a number of extra qualifications that you can take to enhance your employment prospects.
Some other ideas for “handy” qualifications are:

• HIAB (for operating lorry-mounted cranes) and
  • FLT (for operating Fork Lift Trucks.)
  • Moffett (for operating Fork Lift Trucks, which are carried at the back of a lorry.)
  • There are others

:bulb: My advice is that you take all the necessary steps to gaining that all-important “C” licence first, because the training and test fees might seriously eat into your budget.

If funding isn’t an issue for you, then you can take any of the above at a time to suit yourself.
As for ADR, and having considered your age and experience, I’d advise you that you could leave out the tanker module to save yourself some money, because you’re unlikely to be offered tanker driving work.

Since you’re in Southampton, I’d suggest this ADR provider:
:arrow_right: http://www.roadsafeeurope.com

My suggestion for an ADR course in your case would be:
Core module, Packages module and UN Classes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 &9.
If you take this suggestion, you would need to be available for tuition from a Monday morning until lunchtime on the Thursday.

You can take an ADR course at any time, because an ADR licence automatically follows whichever category of driving licence that you hold, with no further action necessary from yourself even if you pass further driving tests after your ADR course.

I hope this info helps. :smiley: