A.D.R certificate

i got my class 2 liscense and job about 8 months ago. Its fairly good for my first job (only using a 12.5T though) but i want to try and start working up the ladder in my career.

I was thinking of trying to get my ADR certificate by the time this year is up to expand my reach of jobs and i was just wanting some advice to see if this would be a good move or not.

If so is it a difficult thing to achieve? i know the basic costs and ins and outs of what it is about, just dont want to waste money on something that wont help my career. Cheers

weerab84:
I was thinking of trying to get my ADR certificate by the time this year is up to expand my reach of jobs and i was just wanting some advice to see if this would be a good move or not.

:smiley: Hi weeab84, WELCOME. :grimacing:

I’d say it depends on several factors, such as:
What work there is in your area?
Whether you want extra responsibility for only a very modest (or no) increase in pay?
Are you good at taking in a lot of info over just a few days?
It might be a good move in terms of broadening your appeal to emplyers, because if there’s an ADR job to do, you can’t do it at the moment, whereas if you hold the certificate, at least you get to choose. :grimacing:

weerab84:
If so is it a difficult thing to achieve? i know the basic costs and ins and outs of what it is about, just dont want to waste money on something that wont help my career. Cheers

In terms of the degree of difficulty, the ADR course is levelled as the same as a GCSE, so that’s level 2.
All the ADR exams are multi-choice, so the correct answer to every question is actually written in front of you, the trick is to pick the right option. :wink:

Whereabouts in the country are you??

im in central scotland which means im 30mins from glasgow, edinburgh and perth so ive got plenty of scope to look. is there any practical work involved or is it all just theory? the reason why im going for it is because i would love to go down the fuel tanker route. theres a shell depot in perth and i always see small class 2 vehicles that i would be more than confortable driving.

your thoughts…

Is it because you’ve now found out how much tankers drivers get paid? :smiley:

I reckon they deserve every penny (and more) for driving a mobile bomb :open_mouth:

weerab84:
im in central scotland which means im 30mins from glasgow, edinburgh and perth so ive got plenty of scope to look. is there any practical work involved or is it all just theory? the reason why im going for it is because i would love to go down the fuel tanker route. theres a shell depot in perth and i always see small class 2 vehicles that i would be more than confortable driving.

your thoughts…

Hi weerab84, There used to be a couple of practicals, but they’ve now been deleted from the course.

Now I know what you’re after, one way of saving some money is to just do ‘Core’ and ‘tanks’ and ‘class 3.’
Classroom attendance time for those is: Core=1.5 days + Tanks=1.5 days + Class 3 = 1.5 hrs
(Plus exams: Core = 40 mins, Tanks = 30 mins, class3 = 25 mins. )
It is possible to do it the way I’ve set out above, but you’ll probably have to attend on different days to achieve all 3 parts.

Alternatively, you could do ‘the whole lot’ ( = Core, Packs, Tanks and 7 of the 9 classes) to maintain your appeal to the maximum number of employers.
I’d suggest that you do the packages module, just in case the tanker job doesn’t materialise. :wink:
That way, you’ll still end up with a useable qualification for approx the same amount of your own downtime. :grimacing:

cool thanks for the help. keano1 is partly right. I think i would prob do the whole lot. do you have any idea where to go to book these courses… they seam to be very difficult to find.

weerab84:
cool thanks for the help. keano1 is partly right. I think i would prob do the whole lot. do you have any idea where to go to book these courses… they seam to be very difficult to find.

www.gtg.co.uk
or
www.lagta.co.uk

thanks those are a big help. think im gonna go ahead and do it. need to wait a few months though… getting married in a month. Will let u know how the training goes though

cheers

weerab84:

Not forgetting Walter Ritchie’s in Glasgow. :wink:

http://www.ritchiestraining.co.uk/

“Now I know what you’re after, one way of saving some money is to just do ‘Core’ and ‘tanks’ and ‘class 3.’
Classroom attendance time for those is: Core=1.5 days + Tanks=1.5 days + Class 3 = 1.5 hrs
It is possible to do it the way I’ve set out above, but you’ll probably have to attend on different days to achieve all 3 parts.”

Anyone know of a training company that does just this?? Around the midlands

Anyone had any experience of friendberry.co.uk ■■

Thanks

Jim

truckerjimbo:

dieseldave:
Now I know what you’re after, one way of saving some money is to just do ‘Core’ and ‘tanks’ and ‘class 3.’
It is possible to do it the way I’ve set out above, but you’ll probably have to attend on different days to achieve all 3 parts."

Anyone know of a training company that does just this?? Around the midlands

Anyone had any experience of friendberry.co.uk ■■

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, As I said, they’ll all allow you do just the bits you need, but you’ll probably need to attend on different days to cover the necessary modules.

Very few providers do a completely customised course these days due to the numbers being uneconomic. :wink:
Imagine a large fuel company like Shell whose drivers just need Core, Tanks and Class 3.
Somebody with large numbers of drivers needing the same modules can approach an ADR training provider and ask for a customised ADR course.
One of the providers that I work for does exactly that, but it will be subject to demand. (And sufficient numbers to make it economic.)

Mr Friendberry is no different, and yes, I do have experience of their course, because I teach it. :grimacing:
IMHO, it’s as good as the other ADR courses, like Chemfreight, LRT and the Consortium, because they all need SQA approval before they can be used. :smiley:

ive just passed my adr mate and its quite easy im in scotland to and i done it through mcphersons was a good course and would recomend them but depends if you want to stay away from home for 4 days were up in aberlour in morayshire if youj need a phn number just let me no well good luck with it

jokey g:
ive just passed my adr mate and its quite easy im in scotland to and i done it through mcphersons was a good course and would recomend them but depends if you want to stay away from home for 4 days were up in aberlour in morayshire if youj need a phn number just let me no well good luck with it

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on gaining your ADR jokey g :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for posting that jokey g, I’m happy to see that you praise Mc Pherson’s, cos I don’t get much ADR provider feedback news from Scotland. :smiley:

For anybody who needs any ADR provider’s phone number, I have a list of every approved ADR provider’s address and phone number. :grimacing: