ADR

Hi guys. Was thinking of may be doing my ADR while im still looking for jobs. Passed my c+e on march there. Handed out as much cvs as possible. Knocking on doors etc. But i was just flicking threw my local job centre here in ireland and seen few jobs ADR money didnt look to bad. Was thinking of going for it if get the money up. Was just wanting to know what the main one to go for is. Im thinking main one is class 3 flammables?? Just want you guys good advice. Thanks guys :smiley:

davy1111:
Hi guys. Was thinking of may be doing my ADR while im still looking for jobs. Passed my c+e on march there. Handed out as much cvs as possible. Knocking on doors etc. But i was just flicking threw my local job centre here in ireland and seen few jobs ADR money didnt look to bad. Was thinking of going for it if get the money up. Was just wanting to know what the main one to go for is. Im thinking main one is class 3 flammables?? Just want you guys good advice. Thanks guys :smiley:

Hi davy1111,

I can tell you ADR is taught a bit differently in NI than it is in the rest of the UK.
Therefore, what follows is only general advice that I’d give for the UK mainland.

If you’ve no intention (or opportunity) to drive tankers, you can usually leave that bit out and save some money because it’s a stand-alone module.
You could come back an do it at a later date if you wish.

In order to get an ADR qualification covering you for the general spread of the commonest UN Classes, I’d advise you to take what the rest of the UK calls “Core, Packages and seven UN Classes.”

In short, the Core module gives you a general knowledge.
The Packages module gives you knowledge (and the right) of carrying dangerous in a packaged form, or in bulk (= unpackaged and loose loaded,) but NOT in a tanker.

I’d advise that you take UN Classes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 (leaving out Classes 1 and 7,) which would give you an all-round qualification for all of the commonest dangerous goods.

That’s normally three full days of tuition, plus half a day for the exams, but I’d add that you’d need to make enquiries at an NI provider so that they can explain exactly how it works in NI.

I wouldn’t want to give you duff advice, so I’m saying very clearly that I’m not sure that an NI ADR course can be customised to just cover UN Class 3 as you’ve asked, but I do know that it can be done like that in the rest of the UK.

Has that helped?

Thanks dieseldave apprecate it bud. Its helped a lot mate. Ill make sure i choose right one here in n.i. again thanks for explaining it for me mate :smiley:

Go for as much as you can afford, except radioactive and explosives.

NOVE:
Go for as much as you can afford, except radioactive and explosives.

Im going to do mine soon, but why not radioactive and explosives?

I would guess cause radioactive or expolsives are very unlikely things to be carried compared to the rest. Have a look at the same post that i have put up twice for some reason its ADR again on down from this one. Dieseldave has explained it in more detail :smiley:

Just not the sort of gear you’d be expected to run on everyday haulage.

davy1111:
I would guess cause radioactive or expolsives are very unlikely things to be carried compared to the rest. Have a look at the same post that i have put up twice for some reason its ADR again on down from this one. Dieseldave has explained it in more detail :smiley:

Hi davy1111,

I’ve merged the two topics together to keep the discussion all in one place. :smiley:

You’d double-posted for some reason, and that happens quite often, so I’ve just tidied it. :wink:

Thanks dieseldave. It seems to do this all the time. Everytime i write one post it comes out double. Dont why its my smart phone or not. Hsve to figure it out

Dave

I did just core and class 3 tanks package with swift training in Belfast. Shop around mate get some quotes. If I remember it was 3 days plus exams

Toddy

Thanks toddy mate. I did mine tests in boucher as well mate. Only i did my c+e with lyods. How you find it mate? Handy enough?

Dave

It’s ok just listen and read the booklet they give you take a few notes and the exams are multiple choice (multiple guess). Dieseldave can correct me here but it gives you basics but you will need a company to take you on and train you up with the practical side of things. Maybe this will be oil deliveries on class 2 then move up from there after experience. Not many ADR c+e jobs about in NI mate to be honest unless you know more than me which ain’t too difficult it’s just my experience on things.

Toddy :smiley:

:laughing: cheers toddy. I Check lyods training website where i did my training they do the ADR. That swifts good as well there down stockmans lane. check JOBCENTRE ONLINE mate. Loads jobs on at. Think seen few ADR. You working at minute? I went fordriver assement last week in montgomerys and didnt get it. Whats that ADR cover you for mate?

I’m just working agency building up experience then will try for a few jobs in meantime. The ADR core tanks and class 3 only covers flamible liquids in tanks. You got to do the other classes if you want to carry them. Sorry your assessment didn’t go to plan. Can I ask was it class 1or 2? What was it like?

Thanks mate. Ill look more into the ADR. It was for class 2 mate. My mate works for montgomery driving forklift. But he told me before i went to interview they said they wouldnt give me go at class 1 cause need 1year experince class 1. But guy rang me but didnt have my digi card at time. But got it send it. Pay is shocking mate. £6.70. Terrible. He failed me on assement cause i crossed my hands while driving. Them mercedes axors. Auto. they are handy enough. Said my driving was spot on just crossing hands. He was marking me like examiner would. Told him id passed my tests didnt think it matterd crossed my hands or not. Stupied things. I asked him tell me the truth was it lack of experince he said yes. I hear the only way is agencys? What they like work for mate? I hear man power good. And grafton. You heard of them?