ADR

I have been offered an ADR course by the agency. It is a one week course at a cost of £350.00. Is this reasonable? as it seems a bit steep to me but maybe I am a bit tight lol. The agency said that they deduct £25 per week from your wages to pay for it, me thinks that may mean they will have to keep me in regular work until they get their money back. Or am I just wishfull thinking?
I am going for my class 1 training on Jan 16th so if I could get that and ADR maybe I will be more employable. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. And also a happy and prosperous new year to you all.
cheers
Ant

Good luck with class 1 ant and the adr
if you choose to do it :smiley:

With an ADR you are VERY MUCH MORE EMPLOYABLE. Many transport companies require it and if you already have it, you are miles ahead of somebody that does not when it comes to getting a job. Every job I’ve been for or phoned up about, there has always been the question “do you have your ADR mate?”.

ADR is a good qualification to have, essential for many jobs, but most companies who offer you a course, even agencies, will only charge you for the training if you leave them before an agreed period of time.
Remember it benefits them aswell as you, they can send you for ADR jobs and probally charge a premium for it.

Agreed Muckles.

If your agency wants you to pay for the course, tell them “not a chance”.
By employment law (I believe), they pay for the course.
They recoup their money by charging a premium for your extra qualifications, you should get extra money too.
It is normal for them to ask you to pay them something for it, if you should leave within two years of doing the course.

£350 is a fair price for the standard ADR course, ie tanks and packages, all classes except radioactives and explosives.

Simon:
£350 is a fair price for the standard ADR course, ie tanks and packages, all classes except radioactives and explosives.

sounds good to me. i thought it was £50 per module and that was going back 8 years. thats why mine expired plus i had no idea where to do the refresher course (i had explosives)

scanny77:

Simon:

sounds good to me. i thought it was £50 per module and that was going back 8 years. thats why mine expired plus i had no idea where to do the refresher course (i had explosives)

They tend not to let you in most places with explosives. :laughing:

Lol@Muckles
£350 is a fair price for your ADR but you may find your class 1 is enough to concentrate on for now.

Ladytrucker679:
Lol@Muckles
£350 is a fair price for your ADR but you may find your class 1 is enough to concerntrate on for now.

As Ladytrucker says concentrate on your class 1 for now and when you have got that under your belt go for your ADR. I wish I’d taken mine when it was offered to me, as previously mentioned it makes you a much more attractive candidate to prospective employers

The main point of the ADR course, is to give you the answer to this question.

What steps do you take, in the event of an incident :question: :question: :question:
(Always assuming the incident involves you, with an ADR load)

The Answer.

Great big ones, very quickly, into the wind.
:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

I would like to do my ADR sometime this year, anyone know of any sites with some detailed info about what is required, etc?

Thanks

Been speaking to DriverHire about the ADR myself - going to do it if I have not been too late getting a place…

… since it is pretty slack at the moment the chance of a guarenteed weeks wages whilst you are on the course looks pretty good. £350 seems pretty cheap for the ADR, and finally … … … when work is short who are they more likely to want to keep happy a HGV driver with or without ADR ■■..

Still no guarentee of work with them, but they have been pretty good since June when I started so see you on the course if you decide to take it.

Best of luck with the class one by the way !!

G

Additional training can only be a good thing, I have never used my ADR but I don’t regret doing it and will probably re-new it when the time comes.

been looking at local evening classes and found that City College Manchester do hgv training inc C, CE, ADR and also, CPC.

The course fees quoted seem rather cheap tho -

HGV Cat C/CE - £350 if employed, unemployed = free
ADR - £149.00
CPC - £142.00

Here’s a link ccm.ac.uk/courses/ccm_gatewa … lassList=0

As a not so newbie!

If an agency or a company will not employ drivers without the requisite 2 years experience, what is the point of having an ADR?

If many posts on these forums are correct that a driver cannot get work without experience even to pull toilet rolls in a shopping trolley, why would having an ADR get you more work? surely these reputable agencies would not send a bloke out with no experience with a load of hazardous.

I was very lucky in my early days getting a start driving, but I had to wait 2 years for the ADR. Now I do not want to see another one :stuck_out_tongue:

Only had problems getting work from agencies now that there is less work around, since passing my class two in June, then class one in August I have been working constantly until the new year - when there is less work about.

G