Help or advice on which path to go

Am looking for some advice off you experienced guys if possibe.
I’m in the process of training for C and then C+E straight after that.
I was then going to do some tac training and hiab/tanker adr course to give me
i) a fair chunk of periodic cpc and
ii) a fair bit of ammunition to actually get me working
Now having spoke to another training centre they think that the tank/adr course is a waste of my money at this point.
What does anyone recommend I take (if anything) to ‘help’ me along?

Also,
speaking to another training centre they will give me 35 hrs of cpc within the training time if i pay full amount for training but not if i get it discounted a bit. How can this be?
Thanks in advance
My head hurts today

12 months ago i done my class 2 and then 1 back to back,whilst waiting for for my licence to come back i done my adr in tanks and packages.12 months on and im using my adr on class 2 job,it definately gave me the edge over everyone else although the company would have put me through it.i havent seen many jobs for newbies on tankers however it doesnt mean there arnt any.
research your local job market and do whats best for you

Check out the JAUPT website for ADR approved courses so you get the hours towards your driver cpc
Same with any other course

Dazzlerx:
Am looking for some advice off you experienced guys if possibe.

Hi Dazzlerx, does ‘experienced’ mean old?? :laughing: :laughing:
If so, you’ve come to the right place mate. :grimacing:
I’m old, experienced, ex-tanker driver and presently a SQA/JAUPT approved ADR instructor. :wink:

Dazzlerx:
I’m in the process of training for C and then C+E straight after that.

That can be a very good idea, because you’ll get to test standard on Cat “C” then go straight on to Cat “C+E” whilst you’re in ‘training mode.’
TBF though mate, even if you get both licences, please be prepared that you might not get a “C+E” job straight away and may have to work your way up the vehicle weights step-by-step to get to your goal.

Dazzlerx:
I was then going to do some tac training and hiab/tanker adr course to give me
i) a fair chunk of periodic cpc and
ii) a fair bit of ammunition to actually get me working

IMHO, that’s very sound thinking mate. :smiley:
By my reckoning, you’ll probably get at least 28 hours towards your 35-hour target if you do both HIAB and ADR.
Once you add another 7 hours for Tacho training, you’ll probably have hit the target, or maybe even exceeded it, so please check because you can get away with the Driver CPC upload fees once you’ve collected 35 hours’ worth of approved training. :wink:
:bulb: If it happens that you’re stuck for the last 7 hours, wait four years, then do your ADR refresher, which will give you the last 7 hours you need. :wink:

Dazzlerx:
Now having spoke to another training centre they think that the tank/adr course is a waste of my money at this point.

I have to say that I completely agree with their opinion, but I’ll give you TWO reasons why I agree with them…

1. The ADR tanker course (currently 1.5-days) does NOT count towards driver CPC, no matter which training provider you choose. That is JAUPT’s ruling and isn’t open for any ADR provider to alter.

2. IMHO, your chance (being a very new driver) of landing a job on tankers is very remote indeed.
    If I were you, I’d look to save the course fee for that, because you can add the tanker module at any time.

TBF, I’d suggest that you research the job market in your area, because demand for drivers is patchy at the moment, and I’d say it’s probably not a good idea to spend that particular fee at this time.

Dazzlerx:
What does anyone recommend I take (if anything) to ‘help’ me along?

Answered above, I hope.

Dazzlerx:
Also,
speaking to another training centre they will give me 35 hrs of cpc within the training time if i pay full amount for training but not if i get it discounted a bit. How can this be?
Thanks in advance
My head hurts today

Without the benefit of hearing exactly what they said to you, it’s difficult to comment on this.
Maybe they’re just playing a numbers game?

My advice to anybody considering taking any kind of a course is to do a proper like-for-like comparison in which you ask each potential provider the following questions:

• How much is the actual tuition fee?
  • Is V.A.T. included or extra? (Ask for both prices.)
  • Does the fee you have quoted me include any exam/upload fees/charges?
  • Do I have to pay extra for books/handouts/course materials?
  • Is your organisation/course on the JAUPT approved list?
    (That’s if you intend it to count towards driver CPC.)

If you need an ADR provider, then please say whereabouts in the country you are, and how far you’re prepared to travel to attend a course, then I’ll have a look at my master list of approved ADR providers for you. OR send me a PM if you prefer. :wink:

I hope that helps. :smiley:

PS, Good luck with your training and driving tests. :smiley:

I came across this company when I was looking into ADR training… altrainadr.co.uk/ I don’t know anything about them and would like a recommendation if anyone has had any dealings with them.There is also mention of funding if you are in their catchment area.Unfortunately I live in Liverpool so don’t qualify but residents of Cheshire,■■■■■■■ and Manchester do.

Deathstar:
Unfortunately I live in Liverpool

Or fortunate !!!

www.thejobgym.co.uk and it’s not just for those made redundant