New C+E driver

Hi all,

Been driving in the military Cat C for a few years now not as my full time role but get behind the wheel every month or so and have just passed C+E (no minors!) and got my ADR ticket for all bar Class 7 (done awareness though) and tanks so thought now would be a good time to look at doing some agency work on weekends and maybe during leave. Never thought that there might be a forum dedicated to all things trucking but since searching for everything I need to get this idea off the ground I came across TNUK so thought I’d register and say hello/badger you all for new commercial driver advice!

I’ve gone ahead and booked module 2 CPC and spoke to a local training provider about using one of their vehicles for module 4 and I’ll be printing off and completing the DVSA form for a digi card (we don’t use them in the military) on Monday. I was wondering, is there anything more I should be doing now besides revision for my CPC? Is ADR worth anything in the agency world? Also, are there any agencies that people could recommend in the Wakefield/Barnsley/Doncaster/Pontefract area? <— I know that might be a tough ask judging by some of what I’ve read on here already!

Finally, are there any other serving or ex-serving members who might have some good gen for somebody in my position looking to do some casual work?

Welcome Witty, and congrats on your pass! :smiley:

Yes ADR CAN be useful on agency, which will really be pallet work for you if you’ve only ‘packages’ and not ‘tanks’. When I did it I get a £1 more and probably put my name higher on the list of limpers to keep on, compared to non ADR limpers…

Thanks! Was a company called JSM who have the contract with the MOD that got me through it but to be honest I found C+E easier than C. I guess that’s the difference between going from car to rigid and rigid to artic!

Well I’ve got tanks too so hopefully that’ll go in my favour. Not afraid of a bit of a graft and eager to learn the commercial side of haulage so looking forward to getting into it.

Also, pardon my ignorance but what is a limper■■?

Also, pardon my ignorance but what is a limper■■?

should be interesting to see how or how not diplomacy plays in anwering this one?? :smiley:

its a quiet night and the tellys rubbish…lets see how it goes.

heres a start…a limper is a nickname for those drivers employed by an agency…next question please… :smiley:

dieseldog999:
…next question please… :smiley:

Where did the name come from? :smiley:

this may help… :smiley:

limpers curse.jpg

Then there’ll be the customary earpiece, Lidl carrier bag and hi viz on till they get home :smiley: I thought that would of been mentioned already :smiley:

Awittyusername:
just passed C+E (no minors!)

Wigo91:
Then there’ll be the customary earpiece, Lidl carrier bag and hi viz on till they get home :smiley: I thought that would of been mentioned already :smiley:

its a quiet night,so we are breaking him in gently…the more he asks,the more he will learn… :slight_smile:

limpers have rules to strictly adhere to when completing a shift on any vehicle…one main rule is as follows,though there are many to remember,this is 1 of the more important ones…

even if you did not move the regular drivers seat at the start of your shift,then you must always,always,always when finishing shift,adjust every single option to make the seat only comfortable to the next driver if he is a crippled dwarf double amputee with 6 foot arms…never forget this important limper rule…

dieseldog999:

Wigo91:

its a quiet night,so we are breaking him in gently…the more he asks,the more he will learn… :slight_smile:

You’ve got to love a crybaby limpers thread, there’s one every few months, it’s almost hormonal! :open_mouth:

As for the OP, if he’s honest enough to ask what one is, he’s probably also smart enough to browse around past and present threads to see what’s what… Then we could all spend the evening annoying the Class VAN drivers! :smiley:

dieseldog999:
limpers have rules to strictly adhere to when completing a shift on any vehicle…one main rule is as follows,though there are many to remember,this is 1 of the more important ones…

even if you did not move the regular drivers seat at the start of your shift,then you must always,always,always when finishing shift,adjust every single option to make the seat only comfortable to the next driver if he is a crippled dwarf double amputee with 6 foot arms…never forget this important limper rule…

I thought resetting all the radio stations was rule one? :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

dieseldog999:

Wigo91:

You’ve got to love a crybaby limpers thread, there’s one every few months, it’s almost hormonal! :open_mouth:

As for the OP, if he’s honest enough to ask what one is, he’s probably also smart enough to browse around past and present threads to see what’s what… Then we could all send the evening annoying the Class VAN drivers! :smiley:

I agree fair play to the guy. I’m sure majority have all been in the ops position so fair play in asking and as he already stated has looked around the thread. I haven’t posted much but I gander through every day and must admit some stuff posted does help myself too.

Lol I phrased the question wrong - I got that they were temps, seen it all over the forum, just wondered where it came from :smiley: but now that that is all cleared up…

So rule 1 - ruin the seating position; rule 2 - ruin the radio; is rule 3 - leave something offensive to any or all senses in an obscure place?

Funnily enough I have experience of driving wagons that the previous driver has made a pain, in fact they’re the only wagons I’ve driven!

Evil8Beezle:

dieseldog999:

I thought resetting all the radio stations was rule one? :open_mouth:

there are any many limpers rules,but for the sake of ripping the pish out of this post,then they are all rule 1…

remember…this is what will happen once you become a limper.

pic 1…make sure your boyfriend will always love you and promise to never leave you when you start to evolve and change shape…
pic 2…you will possibly look similar to this ppe clad fanny,but it wont last long before evolving.
pic 3…limper tend to bunch into groups whereupon strange things happen round the back of the trailer…
which leads us to pic 4…the result of strange things happening round the back of trailers…just remember never to bend down and pick up a fallen rear number plate,or if you do,brace yourself and grit your teeth…oh…and wetwipes are a must have in a limpers lidl bag…it only takes 1 shift,then the rot will set in…after that ,your hooked…and not just by your gimpy foot… :smiley:

protest_wideweb__470x253,0.jpg

ppe-truckers2-300x199.jpg

images5A9P1IL4.jpg

Duly noted - this is all good stuff, thanks guys and gals! I just want to be the best limper I can be, they’ll think I’ve been at it for years on my first job now :wink:

you will save a fortune on wet wipes if you just poke your bugle and use the steering wheel…another rule 1
fulltime drivers expect all these actions and are usually more thn eager to show their appreciation on here.
theres no need to open the windows on a cold/wet day to get rid of any coffee cups or macdonalds wrappers…theres a passenger pit there for your convenience.just use it.
if your on waiting time,and are looking for something to read…just rummage around under the bed for the chug mags,or anywhere else you can think of to pass the time…never any need to clear it ll away,the regular driver nows where it all goes anyway

I’m getting this all down to take in my Binder of Importance: it wasn’t mentioned but I think it’ll go great with all the brand new PPE :smiley:

I do have a legitimate question though and one which seems to come up a lot but can see a definitive answer for me. So I’ve been driving Cat C vehicles for 2 and a bit years now but C+E just for a couple months. When add say 2 years experience, what do they mean? Is it 2 years in Class, 2 years driving HGVs in general or 2 years driving commercially? I’ve obviously never had to navigate a busy depot or work my way down p!say little back streets looking for some newsagents - I have however driven in complete darkness off road with no lights down hairy country tracks!

look them straight in the face,and lie through your teeth,as thats what they will all be doing to you on a daily basis…if you think you can get away with it and have the confidence to jump in,find a gear,limp it out of the gate and wing it as you go when nobodys watching then just lie…if your ex army then quote the official secrets act or some vague reference to it and wing it.