HGV/PCV medicals - please advise!!

Hi all,

I am a GP who is trying to set up a cheap, affordable and rapid access HGV/PCV medicals service. I plan to work from my private clinic (at home) or probably have mobile sessions in a truckers’ club or meeting point.
I would like advice on the following: 1. is there a need for this service or is the market saturated? 2. are there any truckers’ club or meeting places where I can hold regular sessions in South East England?
My apologies if this is not the kind of topic you would hope to see but I am sure this will be a good service for your members.

My advice would be to try and get an afiliation with a couple of HGV driving schools. When I took my test a few years ago by own GP wanted to charge me £80, but I was given the details of a doctor close to me who did medicals at £34.

Also would be worth having a look for a few trucking cafes and asking if you could put your details up on the notice board etc.

I’ve answered in an identical post - HERE :slight_smile:

my doctor charged over £60, the one the training school used charged £40. Although i think he was more interested in filling in the form and getting his money than my fitness for the job.

eaxaminations at home or at a club ! :wink:

i think its a good idea you have but the fee has to be kept to an affordable level. my doctor charged me £30 which was ok but i have since lost my hgv/psv licences after 30 years because of an eye defect, this was because she was not up to date on new eec regulations regarding field vision. my point being is if this is all you are going to do, make sure you keep abreast of legislation because it seems obvious that ordinary gp’s dont seem to. at the end of the day its peoples lives that are at stake. (not that i’m bitter or anything!ha,ha!)

Thank you all. Your advice has been taken on board.

bloom:
Thank you all. Your advice has been taken on board.

If you are going to keep popping in from time to time doc then we get a few medical queries in the HEALTH & FAMILY forum which you may be able to give insights to - I don’t mean a diagnosis, just general accurate info.

If you are in the Southeast, and owing to the fact that medicals are every 5 years after the age of 45, then I would suggest being more central, ie if in Kent then be based in Maidstone, fees to a minimum, this should give you a good base.

I assume you will be doing general GP work as well, or are you Hospital based…

Now while you are here what about this um problem I have with premeture… :blush: :blush: