HGV medical (Google=saving monies)

Checked for very first steps to make into LGV world, most schools charge £150-£200 for medical test, booking theory test. Called my local GP who charges £125 for medical test and eye test isn’t included, wtf.

Googled HGV medical, inserted my postcode and woalla, medical test for 50! Seriously, is this real?

I’m not pointing finger at schools, they make money for their rounded package deal but local GP do take a ■■■■, don’t they?

p.s. I did read sticky topic with Fool and his money but hey ho, feel the need to vent.

Yeah my GP didn’t laugh along with me either, hence I went down the £50 road.
It seem that they price the medical almost as if they don’t want to do it■■? :confused:

I done mine with a company called “Doctors on Wheels”
Cost me £51

I went with drivermedicals for £58 after googling and phoning my surgery … they wanted £150. Whoever you choose, make sure your D4 medical form is less than 18 months old (says on the bottom the issue date) as some places won’t accept it if it’s older. The first one I got from my local P.O was 2 years old and had to order a newer one from DVLA.

We charge £250 for a starter pack. But it includes:

Medical
Online theory training
Classroom theory training - 1 day
Mod 2 training - half day
Intro to drivers’ hours and tachos - half day
Multiple choice theory test
Hazard perception test
Mod 2 test

Yes, it can be done cheaper by dispensing with the training days. But, for me, it’s not just about knowing the answers to pass a test. It’s to do with actually understanding the subject. Just look at the number of relatively simple drivers’ hours rules/tacho questions that are asked on here and you’ll perhaps realise the importance of learning the subjects properly before entering the world of truck driving.

Just my thoughts, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I went for a package deal with a training school when I first started out. No theory training days as Pete provides, but they did provide the medical (Doctors on Wheels), book the theory and hazard perception tests, supply DVDs for home training on the theory and HP. There might have been other stuff too, but the mists of time and creeping age make memory hazy.

When you’re entering a whole new world for the first time, you don’t know what’s what, and the experience is a little intimidating, it can be nice to have someone package the first stages up for you like this. Yes, it can be done cheaper if you are prepared to shop around and work at it, but like a package holiday it is sometimes just worth paying someone to do it for you.

The beauty of the package I offer is that you pay nothing extra; in fact there are substantial savings by having the package. It is very popular and this is no surprise. But it wont appeal to the ones who are only interested in passing tests. It’s much more interesting to those who want to start learning essential skills for work.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I went with doctors on wheels too, would have been good and cheap but when he filled my eye test in he put the wrong figures in, I got a letter from the DVLA asking if this was correct as his figures made out I was virtually blind lol, worked out in the end but was a little hassle I didn’t need.