HGV licence renewal.

I am after some advice please lads, and am pretty certain that you can help. My HGV licence is due for renewal next month, the form etc has arrived through the post this week, but the question is will I have to take a driver CPC? I haven’t driven a truck since 2002 (I am my wife’s carer) but would like to retain my licence just in case I need to return to driving for a living, unlikely I know, or even to take a friends truck for repair for instance, and at the age of 60 it will possibly be my last renewal anyway. A local garage chap mentioned that I may have to take the driver CPC at extra expense and to be honest if this was the case then I probably wont bother renewing it. So any advice will be welcome, or am I better ringing the DVLA?
Thanks for reading.

Pete.

I think you are OK until September 2015 Pete,but someone on here will know.
Cheers Dave.

windrush:
I am after some advice please lads, and am pretty certain that you can help. My HGV licence is due for renewal next month, the form etc has arrived through the post this week, but the question is will I have to take a driver CPC? I haven’t driven a truck since 2002 (I am my wife’s carer) but would like to retain my licence just in case I need to return to driving for a living, unlikely I know, or even to take a friends truck for repair for instance, and at the age of 60 it will possibly be my last renewal anyway. A local garage chap mentioned that I may have to take the driver CPC at extra expense and to be honest if this was the case then I probably wont bother renewing it. So any advice will be welcome, or am I better ringing the DVLA?
Thanks for reading.

Pete.

Ive renewed mine lately and you dont need it for a few years yet

Renewing your licence is possible regardless of whether you do the dcpc or not. Your ‘grandfather rights’ expire in Sep 2014 but your licence entitlement won’t expire then. If you do wish to drive commercially after that then the dcpc is required.

Thank’s for all the replies, looks like I will give it one more try then! Just got to soft soap my doctor now to get a cheap medical ha ha!!! Photo card is up for renewal as well, more expense. :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
Thank’s for all the replies, looks like I will give it one more try then! Just got to soft soap my doctor now to get a cheap medical ha ha!!! Photo card is up for renewal as well, more expense. :unamused:

Pete.

Medicals do not have to be by your own doctor viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19955

Also - if you are not intending to use your LGV licence for some time then you have the option of doing the medical and getting the 35 hours of dcpc at any time in the future

Hiya pete…i’am with you I’am (60) not even thinking of doing any truck driving now.
BUT i have my play toy (AEC) so for the next 5 years i’ll keep my HGV.
I don’t need to do my cpc thing untill 2014…its only 35 hours of sitting in the class room.
I’ve today renewed my digi card. you may just be able to help someone out
by moving a truck for them.one of the potteries lads could be unwell in Dover. we could
help someone out …like we always did…will i see you at Astle park in 2 weeks.
John

Hi John and Rog, thanks for that. Not going to Astle Park John as I will be doing Driffield and Lincoln, going to Cromford tomorrow though.
Never had a digi card, dont think that I will bother with one either! :wink:

Pete.

Pete, I renewed my licence a year ago in april, and my photocard was up at the same time as my class one, but I phoned them up and only ended up paying the once. Make a phone call yourself and make sure you dont pay for two renewals.

espresso:
Pete, I renewed my licence a year ago in april, and my photocard was up at the same time as my class one, but I phoned them up and only ended up paying the once. Make a phone call yourself and make sure you dont pay for two renewals.

I SHOULD be ok, I sent my photocard form and pic off today and on my HGV renewal form it has a box to tick if I am just renewing my (free) entitlement instead of photocard as well. I cant do anything for my HGV until I get my licence back from Swansea anyway which should be within three weeks, I can then send it all back again! :slight_smile: Fun aint it?

Pete.

Hiya …that DVLA are going from strenght to strength…i have 4 motrbikes on sorn and
usually get 4 seperate reminders but yesterday WOW all four sorn notices in one envlope
now i’ve got to sort out all the welsh and english copy’s. they must cut some forests down
just sending MY paperwork out. everything and i mean everythging is in both languages
leccy/ gas/ tele/ voting all double paper work for the same job.and they say recycle paper!!!
John

There was some talk a few weeks ago about the time it was taking for the return of your licence if having it renewed.
When mine was not returned after 4 weeks I sent an email to the DVLA and I had an automated answer that said they would reply in three days.
.I heard nothing for the best part of a week,but my new licence arrived today,5 weeks after sending it.

bestbooties:
There was some talk a few weeks ago about the time it was taking for the return of your licence if having it renewed.
When mine was not returned after 4 weeks I sent an email to the DVLA and I had an automated answer that said they would reply in three days.
.I heard nothing for the best part of a week,but my new licence arrived today,5 weeks after sending it.

If there is a delay at DVLA they usually send out a covering letter authorising you to carry on driving until it is sorted