Help With A Hiab Training course

Hi there all

Any help on this subject would be much appreciated, i passed my class 2 last year and im thinking of doing my Hiab to improve my job prospects, could any one tell me which is the most in use, remote ect and whats the most commonly recognized as regards to accreditation because the company i did my class 2 with SRTS training in exeter offer a citb accredited course but after digging about a bit i heard that some company’s wont accept this accreditation.

Thanks In Advance, any help on this would be great…

Sniz, i’ve found over the last couple of years, having operated hi-abs on most contractors sites (Balfour Beatty, Wates, McNicholas etc) the most widely accredited organisation is ALLMI. Beware of some outfits that will train you and give you a card that is about as much use as a bus pass. Not sure whereabouts you are, but EP Training (Surrey) Walker Cranes (Essex) are two that I could recommend in the Southeast. Good luck

Thanks MRHAPPY
im curently living in cornwall but job prospects are bleak to say the least here so me and the misses are moving to Hereford, whats the best course to go for Remote hiab ?

Cheers SNIZ808

Yeah, personally i’d go for remote, most of the kit you’ll operate these days will be remote, apart from some builders merchants. My advice would be to think about the line of work you want to get into and do the appropriate course, ie if you want to drive a grab think about doing the clamshell attachment bit, if you want to do portacabins then see what is best for that and so on. Basically, work out what you need or even better do as much as you can to give yourself more options. And most importantly, once you’ve got your ticket carry it with you at all times. The amount of drivers I see turning up at a job who say “Yeah i’ve got a ticket but i’ve left it at home” or some other excuse, most sites now will just wave you goodbye if you can’t produce all the relevant stuff.

Have you tried R&R near Redruth? I loaded out of there last year and i’m sure they run a few hi-abs on the pre-formed concrete.

ye R&R seems to be the main haulage company down this end, i tried them and they do have a few rigids but its the same old story being a new driver they don’t want to know, im committed to moving to Hereford now and with Worcester 30 mins away and close links to the M5 im thinking it will be better all round for work, im also a joiner/shopfitter and have all my forklift tickets so finding work isn’t that hard but i really fancy doing the hgv thing so gonna keep plugging away and i know something will come up…

Thanks again mrhappy Your advice is much appreciated…

No problem mate, good luck :smiley: