HIAB Training Courses

I`m thinking about gain my skills and get HIABs. I need an advice how to pick a decent training course, and how much does it cost ?

Hello mate

Firstly I would ring round the people you want to work for and ask what certificstes thry will except.:
ITSSAR
RTITB would normally be recognised by places like Build Centre etc etc

NPORS
CITB normally recognised by construction companies.

For ITSSAR/RTITB you would be looking around £180/£250 per day. If done at the correct place it will also count towards DCPC.

Have you used one before if so without double checking its a 2 day course.

Your biggest problem will be finding a company with a HIAB. Where are you based?

Thanks for reply.
Im from Manchester. Seeking jobs by jobcentre website - theres always some HIAB-related ads.

I’ve recently been put through mine, but would recomend you go either
CPCS or Allmi, as nearly all building sites will only recognise these 2, and the bigger ones Crossrail etc will only accept CPCS

Hope that helps
Owen

I rang about a job hiab job yesterday and said was about to do my licence and was told to be careful which one I got because some were as good as useless. She reeled off a few suggestions like, “you need an ABCDE or a QWERTY or a FFS licence”, which I wasn`t fast enough to make a note of.
Reading this thread there are the following,
ITSSAR
RTITB
CITB
NPORS
CPCS
ALLMI

Does anyone know what you need just to get a job in a builders yard? (FFS)!

£300 a 1 day course seems to be the cost round here Durham?N/Yorks.

Has there been any progress towards the unification of all the different HIAB tickets into 1 singular one??

magik:
Thanks for reply.
Im from Manchester. Seeking jobs by jobcentre website - theres always some HIAB-related ads.

Almost exclusively these ads are agencies that don’t actually have the work.

Just wondering how many hours hiab would go towards driver training?

peirre:
Has there been any progress towards the unification of all the different HIAB tickets into 1 singular one??

Allmi and CPCS have a link now.
Acording to our training provider if you have a valid allmi card you can sit a H&S touch screen test which will then entitle you to get a red cpcs card . As before the red card is only valid for 2 years after which you would need to sit an nvq to upgrade to a blue card or give up altogether and let the whole thing lapse. :confused: :confused:

Good Idea
Who pays?

cpcs card. 3 tests, first h and s , easy enough, second verbal test with an examiner, i found this a bit hard, doing it is easy, explaining it isnt, thirdly an assesmant of actually doing the job for about an hour, found it fairley easy, but been doing it 4 yrs now, on and off, cost about £600 all in, have rtitb and allmi, if sites ask they only recognise cpcs nowadays, been refused entry with a rtitb and allmi card. good luck, quiet at the minute, but when the building does pick up, it will be a nice earner again.

I was put through the ALLMI and CSCS courses last November when our firm took delivery of an eight-leg rigid with a 60 ton/metre HIAB and work-wise, it’s the best thing that’s happened to me. Our work is very varied and is literally anything that needs a crane, from cabins to boats and allsorts of stuff. (I’m off to London tomorrow afternoon for an early monday tip of fancy timber for a school, and I’m in the middle of an induction for some serious petro-chemical work that’s coming up soon.)

Our work might pick up even more if one of local competitors gets sent down for drug-smuggling :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

“ALLMI registered instructors hat on”

having recently qualified as an instructor i would gr for an ALLMI registered course then as Alfaman said you do find you need a cpcs ticket then you can get the upgrade for a couple of years
most of the major builders merchants prefer ALLMI tickets as ive just done a refresher course for a couple of lads who work for travis perkins

the other thing to consider is aswell what kind of hiab work youll be looking for as with ALLMI theres several different catgories for the cranes and the attachments

“ALLMI registered instructors hat off”

our lot have 4 hiabs starting at 14t/m and the biggest is my wagon with its 66t/m fassi and i love the job you never know what your doing from one day to the next normally and every job is different in someway to the previous one

alfa man:

peirre:

Allmi and CPCS have a link now.
Acording to our training provider if you have a valid allmi card you can sit a H&S touch screen test which will then entitle you to get a red cpcs card . As before the red card is only valid for 2 years after which you would need to sit an nvq to upgrade to a blue card or give up altogether and let the whole thing lapse. :confused: :confused:

i took my allmi yesterday and this scheme finishes in march (12th ithink)