HIAB training

Got class 2 training early Feb and are currently looking at ways to broaden job opportunities when I apply for positions. The HIAB training has its advantages but I’ve seen online that the choice of awarding body is something to think about. ALLMI seems to be most recognised, especially concerning the construction industry, but there are others such as ITSSAR etc.

Seems that certain organisations will only accept the cards from a particular awarding body, so this makes me consider whether my location in the north west is also relevant when deciding on which body to be certified through.

The company providing my class 2, do the HIAB training, with ITSSAR the awarding body but having read online reports, ALLMI appears to be more recognised.

Can anyone shed any light on whether it is actually that important which awarding body certifies you?

Wouldn’t it be nice to think that if your HIAB trained, then your HIAB trained !

The only time I’ve had people specify an awarding body it’s been ALLMI, and that has been for construction site work.

Hi
I did my Hiab shortly after passing my Class 2. I was mislead abit when doing mine as I got something called an NPROS. This is just like an ALLMI but not as well know. its a full remote ticket that I have.

If I know now what I should have know then I would have defo done the ALLMI. However I have been for a few Hiab jobs and no one wants to touch me. Yes you got it. its that bloody two year exp thing again. I do know your likely to get offered a job for someone like Jewsons. However you will have to go up near B-ham on a weeks course to unlearn everything you did in ALLMI course for them to train you their way.

It like any trucking job is a ball ache to get in too. I dont mean to sound negative but I think even with an ALLMI you might have trouble getting a job in it.

Good luck.

I’ve done hi-ab work and hated it, the places your sent, ya can get that in here drive we have had them in here all the time ■■■■■■■■ and bang goes a gate or wall! Be prepared for a challenge if you do decide to go for it

I can well imagine.

Just had a quote for a 2 day novice with their vehicle and remote £700 :open_mouth:

remote with us is less at £574 - ALLMI CSCS approved.

It would appear that £700 is rather cheeky shall we say, based near Warrington I wouldn’t be looking at spending a penny over £400, especially considering I’ve had a quote of £220 + vat for the same course but with ITSSAR as the certification rather than ALLMI. Madness

Superhampton1980:
I’ve done hi-ab work and hated it, the places your sent, ya can get that in here drive we have had them in here all the time [zb] and bang goes a gate or wall! Be prepared for a challenge if you do decide to go for it

Never have more honest words been spoken!

Been to a job today, 2 mile single track road then an acute right turn into a driveway (the drop off point) - the truck, Class 2 26 ton with a 26 foot flat bed wouldn’t fit through the gate never mind negotiate the turn!

“We’ve had 'em in here before drive” were the immortal words I heard spoken?

Further enquiries revealed indeed they had - but alas they were 7.5 tonners!

Hades3000:
I can well imagine.

Just had a quote for a 2 day novice with their vehicle and remote £700 :open_mouth:

That’s us total madness £700!! I paid £250 for my NPROS. The thing is like me you can shell out this money & still be no closer to getting a job in it. £700 could be saved towards your a class 1 if you yet to do it.

Madness :open_mouth:

andy288*:

Superhampton1980:
I’ve done hi-ab work and hated it, the places your sent, ya can get that in here drive we have had them in here all the time [zb] and bang goes a gate or wall! Be prepared for a challenge if you do decide to go for it

Never have more honest words been spoken!

Been to a job today, 2 mile single track road then an acute right turn into a driveway (the drop off point) - the truck, Class 2 26 ton with a 26 foot flat bed wouldn’t fit through the gate never mind negotiate the turn!

“We’ve had 'em in here before drive” were the immortal words I heard spoken?

Further enquiries revealed indeed they had - but alas they were 7.5 tonners!

I think if I ever found myself in a situation where it was touch and go whether the truck would actually go through a questionable entry, It wouldn’t interest me what anybody else says, such as “we’ve had them down here before”.

Only if the owner of the truck im in, authorises me to “give it a go” will I do so.