Hiab is it worth while/where to get the training

I’m thinking of doing this course just to get better working hours and being more active. Can any one advice please. Currently doing 30 hrs over two days and 2 nine hour breaks away from home. So these are my reasons of thinking of doing the hiab. Any constructive help most appreciatated.

Nice thread mate, I’m thinking of doing Hi-ab, I have all the same questions you have.

Is it only 7hours Dcpc you get out it? How long is the course? How much extra time do you get for your £35 x each attachment + £40 for the remote? Does that extra stuff count towards your Dcpc?

Good luck with the course

If you can get a start with any of the larger builders merchants, they will usually put you through.

Think about this…

If you go for brick grab/remote it covers you for hook, grab, remote and manual control which if you are going agency you will most likely encounter all of these if you go working for builders merchants.

As an ex tipper (non grab) looking in, I’ve noticed more bucket or “clamshell” grab firms starting and expanding than standard tipper hire companies. I think this is down partly to increased skip hire costs (you need planning consent to leave a skip on the public roads whereas a grab can just park up and load). It’s cheaper to hire a grab wagon per load than renting a digger with driver plus a standard tipper for the same job.

Are there any recommended course providers for HIAB training? Any recommendations? Thinking about adding this to my quals when I come back to the UK.

Hi all

I am thinking of getting my Hiab ticket.

Firstly is it going to be a worth while excersise and secondly where is the best place to get some training. I live in Berkshire but dont mind a little bit of traveling.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Richard.

If lorry loader is the same as HIAB then this might be worth it for 7 hours (1 day) or 14 hours (2 days) of driver cpc

Blackapple Lorry Loader Training
Account Number AC00892
Phone 07503 284453
Email leotaylor@talktalk.net
Contact Leo Taylor
111 Lacey CloseStreet
Thorpe Lea
Egham
TW20 8DX
Surrey

Depends if there are many outfits with Hiab in your area have you done any research into that kind of jobs market :question:

Have a look at some of the local training providers to see if they do it

Also important… Make sure they have their own Hiab or equivalent as some will only train on your equipment at your work premises.

Dean

Thanks for the quick replys.

The reason I am considering Hiab is because a number of the agencys I have been round to there first question was “do you have Hiab?”. It is difficult enough to get a foot in the door and thought it would be an advantage. There are also a number of builders merchants that are local.

There are two training companys close to me one I would not want to use as I have not heard good things the other one does not do the training at the depot local to me. A search on google brings up a number of options but they are not known to me. So looking for some recomadations.

Rog

I will give blackapple a call and get some info, i’ll let you all know how it goes.

Richard.

Ok. I spoke to Blackapple today sounds very promising.

The training will count towards CPC which I think is a bonus. Although it has thrown up a few more questions…

Which qualification should I go for Hook, Brick Loader or Bucket with/without remote control or do the lot and be done with it?

I would kick myself if I heard the words…if only you had remote…if only you had Brick Loader ect.

Still waiting for some exact prices and got a couple more companys to call.

Edit
I have taken the plunge and booked my course I will let you know how it went.

dilligaf:
Which qualification should I go for Hook, Brick Loader or Bucket with/without remote control or do the lot and be done with it?

I would kick myself if I heard the words…if only you had remote…if only you had Brick Loader ect.

Edit
I have taken the plunge and booked my course I will let you know how it went.

Would be interested to hear what the best type to have would be, I thought courses would have covered various types. :confused: :slight_smile:

Redrorry

In doing my research no one will say which is best! I would guess there is work for all types but the agencys I have spoken to are not that keen to commit to what they will need/want.

There is apperantly a lot of work on its way with Hiab around the Reading area as all the agencys I have spoke to seem to need or want drivers with it.

I have decided to do a course that includes it all and counts towards my CPC the ticket is valid for 5 years and I should get some use out of it. Hopefully it might make me more employable?

The basic course is for one type of attachment only (hook) and then you can add on the extra attachments if you want for an extra cost.

When I have done the course (on the15th) I’ll post a report/diary for those that are interested.

Just out of interest how much are they looking at for each extra module?

I am having the same problem pinning agencies down to a ‘best’ option.

Dean

I was quoted £35 for each extra attachment and £40 for the remote control.

I have just started this week with a national chain of builders merchant ( not agency i hasten to add ). Most firms in this area require remote and grab tickets (including agencies ). Be aware that most of this work is seasonal,so come october it goes quiet.

I would be happy with seasonal anything to get some experiance and to get away from what I am doing now!

My course is going to cover it all. Hook, Brick Loader, Grab bucket and Remote and get it to count towards CPC.

The simple answer here is to go for as many as you can afford, to broaden your options. Unless there is one particular thing you want to do of course. Most builders merchants/grab firms will require you to have clamshell/brick grab, but are mostly not remote control. if your looking to do general haulage hiab work ie portacabins then remote control would be the way to go. If you do the lot, all bases are covered. think about what you’d like to do and what employment opportunities are available in your area. Do your research and you may save a few quid, but personally, I would say in the current climate, if you’ve got the dough, do the lot

dilligaf:
Redrorry

In doing my research no one will say which is best! I would guess there is work for all types but the agencys I have spoken to are not that keen to commit to what they will need/want.

That is because they don’t have any jobs, they are just fishing to get names on seats.

In my local paper there is a standard job advert, normally about every two weeks for a hiab pilot with experience. The job is always the same, it is just the agencies that change their names.

What is the betting that if you pay for Hiab training, it will be the wrong sort or you don’t have enough relevant experience. Ring Graham or Buildbase and see what they would ask for.