Help please Rog DD anyone

going into agency on Tues and when spoke to them they have asked me to bring in all ness documents and after talking on the phone to find out what will happen they have told me that I will be doing a 20 mins Q&A on Tacho rules regs now I have done a CPC course in April on Tacho and Working hours so my question is when i did said course a few of questions gave a working day and I found that I did not get my head round when they gave you an example and said where should the breaks be any tips for how i should prepare myself for this 20 mins assessment from anyone who has done this or any advise at all would help as i dont want to stall by being a numpty and failing something so essential before even got a job hope this is just me over analylsing and worrying for nowt thanks in advance jx

All I can suggest is a lot of reading and then come back with any questions on points you do not understand

EU DRIVER REGS

VOSA GUIDE

RT(WTD)R guide

Jennie:
I have done a CPC course in April on Tacho and Working hours so my question is when i did said course a few of questions gave a working day and I found that I did not get my head round when they gave you an example and said where should the breaks be

This perfectly highlights what I’ve been saying about the periodic Dcpc - there is no testing to accertain whether the trainee has assimilated the info and assimilated it correctly

A good trainer might have set a ‘quiz’ so that they could pick up on any probems but I’m not sure if that can be done on an individual basis where trainees put their name on the quiz paper so the trainer can target them for individual help ■■?

Yep already doing the reading understand it its prob just me worrying , over thinking just thought someone might of done one so would know what kind of questions they ask in Q&A sorry should of made last post clearer jx

Hi Jenny,

I tend to agree with your comment about ‘over thinking.’ :wink:

In my experience, the type of drivers’ hours tests posed by agencies is fairly basic, with some of the tests being multiple choice.
My advice is to stick to the important basics, such as:

The 15 and 30 minute breaks after 4.5hrs driving… which is first when splitting your break, the 15 or the 30?
Max driving before a 45 min break must be taken.
Min break after 4.5hrs driving
Definition of ‘week.’
Max daily driving+ how many times per week can you extend this and by how much?
Min daily rest and possible reductions between weekly rest periods. (Not the same as ‘per week.’ :wink: )
‘Compensation’ for reduced weekly rest periods
Max weekly driving hours
Max fortnightly driving hours
Regular weekly rest period and reduced weekly rest period. (Don’t confuse ‘rest’ with ‘break.’ :wink: )
When must records be handed to employer/digicard downloaded?
How many days of records must a driver have with them for production to enforcement officials?
WTD reference period and ‘average’ weekly hours.

I can’t see it being more complicated than above (but I reserve the right to be wrong :laughing: :blush: )
I just hope I got it right for you!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck at the interview. :smiley:

What are ness documents or is that a typo ?

I’m assuming this assessment you’re talking about is for an agency that you’re trying to get work from and not a company the agency are sending you to, is that correct ?

If it’s an agency assessment it will almost certainly be quite basic as most agency people have little knowledge of the regulations themselves :smiley:

Apart from what dieseldave has said one thing you will almost certainly get is a page with a picture of an analogue tachograph chart on it and a scenario of a drivers daily duty, the scenario will read like a story giving details of vehicle reg drivers name ec’t ec’t, and you will be asked to complete the tachograph chart based on what you’ve read so be prepared for that.

Good luck with the assessment :wink:

tachograph:

Hi tachograph,
After I’d used my enigma machine, I took “ness” to mean ‘necessary.’ :laughing: :wink:

tachograph:
If it’s an agency assessment it will almost certainly be quite basic as most agency people have little knowledge of the regulations themselves :smiley:

Agreed mate, but that doesn’t stop some of them from thinking that they know. :grimacing:

tachograph:
Apart from what dieseldave has said one thing you will almost certainly get is a page with a picture of an analogue tachograph chart on it and a scenario of a drivers daily duty, the scenario will read like a story giving details of vehicle reg drivers name ec’t ec’t, and you will be asked to complete the tachograph chart based on what you’ve read so be prepared for that.

That’s a fair cop Guv, cos I was aware of the ‘centrefield test,’ but I’ll come clean and own up to forgetting all about it. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I’m glad for Jenny that you spotted my error, so thanks for posting it and reminding me. :grimacing:

It’s been a while since I signed on with an agency. :blush:

A highway code test is popular with some agencies

dieseldave:

tachograph:

Hi tachograph,
After I’d used my enigma machine, I took “ness” to mean ‘necessary.’ :laughing: :wink:

Obvious really isn’t it :blush: :blush: :blush:

Think I need to upgrade my code breaker :laughing:

Anyway back to topic if only to hide my embarrassment :smiley:

Not sure if Jennie has used an analogue tachograph or not so here’s how a chart centre-field is completed.

You will only be asked to complete the centre fields based on the scenario you’re given, the start and finish lines are optional and whether or not they’re used will depend on the transport companies policy but if used should not interfere with the trace (the start line is a bit too close to the graph lines in this picture).

I’ve just done one for DriverHire,quite thorough but I found it easy enough.Multiple choice in the main,some highway code stuff ,so brush up on your signs,make sure you know about double yellows and kerb loading marks.Digital tacho,not many questions but they wanted to know which way up you insert the card and when you should do printouts etc.They were looking at a 70% pass mark.Bring your Passport or Birth Certificate because the law requires that they be inspected to prove you’re eligible to work in this country.

Cheers guys just wanted to know what to expect as never been to one before and all my questions answered jx

Deathstar:
I’ve just done one for DriverHire,quite thorough but I found it easy enough.Multiple choice in the main,some highway code stuff ,so brush up on your signs,make sure you know about double yellows and kerb loading marks.Digital tacho,not many questions but they wanted to know which way up you insert the card and when you should do printouts etc.They were looking at a 70% pass mark.Bring your Passport or Birth Certificate because the law requires that they be inspected to prove you’re eligible to work in this country.

I did one for DH about 18 Months ago, I was and still am I suppose pretty clueless on Tacho and the WTD but the chap at DH was very helpful and explained how I’d gone wrong on the Tacho questions. He allowed me to correct it :wink:

A lot of agencies still show a model of tacho. with a mode switch featuring a steering wheel.Those tachos. dont exist anymore.The bed symbol is for rest breaks, the square box with a line through it represents a packing case and is for other work. The crossed hammers is for driving makes sense ,doesnt it?

alamcculloch:
A lot of agencies still show a model of tacho. with a mode switch featuring a steering wheel.Those tachos. dont exist anymore.The bed symbol is for rest breaks, the square box with a line through it represents a packing case and is for other work. The crossed hammers is for driving makes sense ,doesnt it?

Driving symbol - virtually gone nowadays - tachos automatically go to drive when vehicle moves no matter what mode is set
Cross hammers = other work
Box with line through it = Availability
Bed = break or rest

did 1 a while ago for an agency they just wanted to know i was aware of the driver hrs & a little more was quite easy really

but did get 36 / 36 :blush: :blush: :blush:

Thanks for help guys and with rog`s little quiz that he set me i feel much more confident now thanks rog jx