Tacho, drivers hours, wtd agency test?

Hello all, I’m mike, I’ll introduce myself in the welcome section when I’m at my PC, writing this on my phone so I’ll keep it short,

I’m currently in full time employment,
Doing a dead end job I hate for close to minimum wage,
So the last couple of years I have been saving up and finally passed cat c, and my CPC with 2 modules, anyway I’ve pretty much realised finding a permanent position isn’t going to be easy, so I registered with an agency a couple of weeks ago, and as the title states there sign up process involved a tacho, drivers hours, wtd, test, to which I failed miserably, so there unable to offer me work until I go back and pass this, I feel I’ve worked hard to achieve what I have so far and I’m pretty gutted none of my CPC training, tests prepared me for it, so basically, is this standard procedures for agency’s to do, or did I just land unlucky picking this agency, as anyone else came across this sort of thing?

I have read the books and gov website on these subjects, but I’m having a hard time remembering all the hours when I’m not using it daily for my current job, I have trucktimer on my phone and figured that would keep me within the law…

Again, I’ll update this post once on my PC,

Thanks in advance for any replies

Ment to post in the new drivers forums… ■■■■…

Most agencies will give you a short test on basic drivers hours and working time regulations ec’t, drivers hours is something you need to learn the basics of before you start working so it’s worth doing a bit of studying.

Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

Hi Mike,It seems crazy to me that the government introduced the DCPC to educate new drivers (and old) yet whoever you did your course with didn’t bother to spend at least one session on drivers hours and regs…but it’s done now.

All you can do is swat up on the regs yourself or alternatively book a local CpC course for a day on drivers regs,which will add 7.5hrs towards your next CpC anyway,tbh the rules and regs ain’t that hard to remember once you know them and most trucks nowadays are digital taco anyway so that will show your driving time after that is your wtd breaks then weekly rests,the working time breaks are simple to remember,the weekly rests can be more complex but as long as your having 2 days off together every other week you will be fine.

Maybe if you tell us which area your in someone may know of a local place to get a CpC day done on everything you need to know.

Welcome along btw.

Ahh okay yeah, I believe I failed on a question to do with the weekly rests, something like how many hours rest you must have in a 26 week consecutive period? Thanks, I had considered booking one of these courses but I’ve already blew my budget could do with some money coming back first to be honest :slight_smile:

I will read that PDF again, cheers tacho… I actually have it printed out.

I’m surprised that if you’ve passed your CPC that you’ve managed to ‘fail miserably’ on a standard agency test!

Ones I’ve done in past weren’t exactly rocket science ! And your statement as to how many hours rest in a 26 week consecutive period ■■? Means you’ve missed the point entirely ! No such thing

You say you’ve done your CPC modules ? If so you covered more than enough for an a agency test so how come so far off the mark ■■

Sadly the CPC theory modules you passed are woefully inadequate when it comes to preparing someone for the real work of driving for a living.

Read the pdf that Tachograph gave you, also check out some of the sticky topics in the new driver section, and read dome of the threads on drivers hours and the WTD.

Then go back and take agency’s “test” again, and and start earning some wedge.

MinkyMike:
Hello all, I’m mike, I’ll introduce myself in the welcome section when I’m at my PC, writing this on my phone so I’ll keep it short,

I’m currently in full time employment,
Doing a dead end job I hate for close to minimum wage,
So the last couple of years I have been saving up and finally passed cat c, and my CPC with 2 modules, anyway I’ve pretty much realised finding a permanent position isn’t going to be easy, so I registered with an agency a couple of weeks ago, and as the title states there sign up process involved a tacho, drivers hours, wtd, test, to which I failed miserably, so there unable to offer me work until I go back and pass this, I feel I’ve worked hard to achieve what I have so far and I’m pretty gutted none of my CPC training, tests prepared me for it, so basically, is this standard procedures for agency’s to do, or did I just land unlucky picking this agency, as anyone else came across this sort of thing?

I have read the books and gov website on these subjects, but I’m having a hard time remembering all the hours when I’m not using it daily for my current job, I have trucktimer on my phone and figured that would keep me within the law…

Again, I’ll update this post once on my PC,

Thanks in advance for any replies

try downloading this guide its very easy to read and gives you all the basics plan and simple.

gov.uk/government/publicati … rking-time

xichrisxi:
All you can do is swat up on the regs yourself or alternatively book a local CpC course for a day on drivers regs,which will add 7 hrs towards your next CpC anyway,

FTFY

MinkyMike:
I feel I’ve worked hard to achieve what I have so far and I’m pretty gutted none of my CPC training, tests prepared me for it, so basically, is this standard procedures for agency’s to do, or did I just land unlucky picking this agency, as anyone else came across this sort of thing?

Yes its a standard test that any agency worth its salt does and these are basic things which you are required to know for your job, they’re not trying to catch you out. Its all well and good having an app on your phone but they frequently can let you down especially when you’ve got other things on your mind and forget to change the modes etc on the app and if you change the mode on the tacho before the app or changing the app before the tacho, depending on what you’re doing you can end up doing things like not taking a full 45 minute break. Do not rely on them.

Fair enough, well I best get it sinking in then :slight_smile:

The main points are easy and the agency tests will want to know that you understand the following:

Tacho:

Know symbols for work, rest, driving, PoA. You may be asked to complete a paper chart although they’re phasing that out as most lorries are now digi card.

45 minutes rest for every 4.5hrs driving which may be split into two with the second being no less than 30 minutes.

No more than 9hrs driving in a day which may be extended to 10hrs twice a week.

No more than 6 driving periods in a week

No more than 56hrs driving in a week, no more than 90hrs in a fortnight.

Daily rest is 11hrs which may be reduced to 9hrs three times a week. (maximum 13hr duty time which can be extended to 15 three times a week)

When double manning it is 9hrs rest out of every 30hrs (you can work 21hr shifts)

Weekly rest is an uninterrupted 45hrs which may be reduced to 24hrs with a full 45hrs every other week.

Working time directive:

No more than 6hrs work without a break which must be 30 minutes.

No more than 60hrs work in a week,

No more than 48hrs a week averaged over a 17 or 26 week reference periods.

The above are not the full set of regulations but are pretty much everything you’ll be asked about in an agency test. Its also a good idea to familiarise yourself with the geography of the UK so you can identify roughly where major cities are on points on a map as that is a test some agencies do as well and it tends to be places like London, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and major ports like Felixstowe, Southampton, Portsmouth, Hull.

I have to say these agency ‘tests’ are all pretty basic stuff and if you cant pass one then you will be struggling to stay legal if you do ever get behind the wheel. I’m fairly sure that you will have had all the information you need in gaining your licence. As for relying on any kind of gadget to keep you legal forget it, they are a useful guide but they are not 100% reliable.

Conor:
Working time directive:

It’s no surprise guys new to hours rules get confused when experienced guys still make the odd mistake.

Minimum of 15 minutes break every 6hrs.

DearBoy:

Conor:
Working time directive:

It’s no surprise guys new to hours rules get confused when experienced guys still make the odd mistake.

i wish there was a like button on these forums lol I missed that classic mistake when quickly read the other posts lol

I spotted that mistake as well, and I’m a Newbie! :laughing:
Although I was also questioning myself, as I often only ever take a 15 within the first 6 hours.
So for a second I though I’ve got an awful lot of infringements I’ll need to be signing off! :laughing:

I’ve done 3 agency assessments in the last 6 months, and everyone has been different. Some harder than others…
Contrary to what has been said above about the DCPC covering/encompassing these sorts of things. They simply don’t! :imp:
I’ve done a Tacho CPC module and (from memory) it didn’t cover all the sorts of things you might get asked as part of the agency’s arse covering test, and that’s what these tests are in my opinion. They are just to show that the agency haven’t sent someone out why doesn’t have a clue!

Don’t beat yourself up about failing mate, as I’ve not got every question right when I’ve done the tests. And while I haven’t failed one, only on the last one, did I feel they actually cared about my marks. So maybe you were unlucky mate and got a harder test, from a more stringent agency! :cry: - Just read up, improve your knowledge and try again, you’ll get there in the end! :smiley:

My last one covered an analogue Tacho, and I didn’t really have a scooby do, as I’ve never used one, so didn’t really put much effort on learning, as I didn’t/don’t expect to ever need to know. But have a quick look at that, as it does come up in tests, and will continue too until the tests are updated…

The one you really need to learn is how to read a DigiTacho printout, and you will be asked questions like Start time, total shift time, distance traveled, drive time, other work, etc…

As said above, you will also get a geography test, and routes to get to these places. Just focus on the major cities, the counties they are in, and the trunk roads/motorways linking these.

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

DearBoy:

Conor:
Working time directive:

As soon as I read that I heard wind whistling, a church bell ringing in the distance, and saw the Grim reaper surrounded by blowing tumble weed. :laughing:

The funniest and most ironic thing about Dearboy’s post is that it is usually (one of ) the things that Conor is famous for saying on here when he is defending his beloved DCPC, …although admittedlly his version is usually more patronising. :smiley:

Could this be the year when we see Conor eating humble pie on here :open_mouth: …or will he do his usual thing when someone directs an ‘uncomfortable post’ towards him, just ignore it and pretend he hasn’t read it. :smiley:

To the OP - if you are anywhere near my area (Burnley) I’ll offer a ‘free’ DCPC 7 hour course on drivers hours. Just pay the £8.75 upload fee. If this is of interest drop me a PM.

As has been pointed out, and as you have realised, the Mod 2 can be passed without the actual knowledge you will really need in the real work place - which needs a full in depth understanding of drivers hours and tachographs.

I have raised this point with the DVSA expressing my thoughts that new drivers realistically need detailed training in a few subjects rather than Module 2 and their reply is that Module 2 is sufficient and it is up to employers to train the driver further

Yes this is standard for an agency they want to know if you do know & understand the rules so you will be legal have done a few never failed have got some questions wrong mind but hey

The dcpc Drivers Hours course can also be wrong depending who you do this with & how good your tutor is for example I & another member on here both done this same day different area while I must say I had a good tutor knew his stuff while the other member wasn’t so lucky ( his tutor said you could not do 2 x 10 hr drives on consecutive days :unamused: ) when questioned he just said you can’t even though you can this is part of the problem with the dcpc as a lot of us know

But this also gives the good instructors a bad name which is not fair to them