Newbie with a few questions

Hi, New on here (you probably guessed that!)

I’m getting on a bit, not young, but nice to hear that I shouldn’t really see that as an obstacle. Like the independence of the job. Never really wanted to be cooped up in shop/office/warehouse/etc…

Got licence sorted. Just need to do theory tests.

A couple of quick questions:

1. Is it a good idea to do the module 4 before C training? If anything just to get it done and dusted. Obviously bit cheaper than C training so I’m thinking treat it like the theory tests and get it sorted first.

2. If I did it first does the certificate have an expiry or does it remain valid indefinitely until such time you pass the C then they send you your DQC?

3. Is there anything I can do in the meantime such as familiarising myself with the questions and model answers? Does the examiner mind if you’re just repeating a model answer that you have memorised or is that just the nature of the test? Is half a day training really enough to be taught what you need with test at the end?

4. I have heard people on here talking about doing 10 years worth of CPC hours but in the book it says any hours over the 35 are disregarded and don’t contribute? I know its probably better not to spend money like that anyway as who knows if you are going to be in the game that long. Probably best to do it as they recommend 1 day a year over the five years.

5. I have been meaning to search through all of Tachograph and ROG’s posts learning about driving hours as they seem to be site’s resident experts on this matter. Just wanted to make sure I have got my head around a small aspect of the rules:

i) Don’t work more than 6 hours without a 15 minute break
ii) If you work over 6 hours need at least 30 minutes of breaks
iii) As ii) over 9 hours at least 45 minutes of breaks
iv) driving breaks count towards this
v) unlike driving breaks you cannot end shift without the break if it is required
vi) never forget i) as could still fall foul of that even if you satisfy ii) and iii)

I think it is the hours that give me the most trepidation as seems so much to remember. I can see myself sitting in the cab racking my brains as to what I’m doing, how long I’ve got left to drive, when break needed, pressing the buttons when i should, how long before i need to end the shift, etc… I don’t suppose Brexit is going to help me out on that so i can start the job using domestic rules :question: Strictly speaking if we are leaving the EU whether it’s a hard brexit, soft brexit or a runny brexit surely we should use our own domestic hours?

Anyway would appreciate any advice, tips etc…

Thanks.

Equus:
I’m getting on a bit, not young

Car test before or after 01/01/1997 :question: - need to know as you may not need mods 2 and 4

Equus:

1. Is it a good idea to do the module 4 before C training? If anything just to get it done and dusted. Obviously bit cheaper than C training so I’m thinking treat it like the theory tests and get it sorted first.

During C training is best so you do not get extra lorry hire cost

Equus:
2) If I did it first does the certificate have an expiry or does it remain valid indefinitely until such time you pass the C then they send you your DQC?

Pass C then DQC gets sent and starts from then - not set time between passing mod 4 and mod 3 if done that way as far as I know

Equus:
3) Is there anything I can do in the meantime such as familiarising myself with the questions and model answers? Does the examiner mind if you’re just repeating a model answer that you have memorised or is that just the nature of the test? Is half a day training really enough to be taught what you need with test at the end?

YES - check out the links contained within the link in my signature below especially the mod 4 video link

Equus:
4) I have heard people on here talking about doing 10 years worth of CPC hours but in the book it says any hours over the 35 are disregarded and don’t contribute? I know its probably better not to spend money like that anyway as who knows if you are going to be in the game that long. Probably best to do it as they recommend 1 day a year over the five years.

Example = ok
Get first DQC with 5 years on it then the following week do another 35 hours = covered for almost 10 years then no more will count until first five years is up

Equus:
5) I have been meaning to search through all of Tachograph and ROG’s posts learning about driving hours as they seem to be site’s resident experts on this matter. Just wanted to make sure I have got my head around a small aspect of the rules:

i) Don’t work more than 6 hours without a 15 minute break
ii) If you work over 6 hours need at least 30 minutes of breaks
iii) As ii) over 9 hours at least 45 minutes of breaks
iv) driving breaks count towards this
v) unlike driving breaks you cannot end shift without the break if it is required
vi) never forget i) as could still fall foul of that even if you satisfy ii) and iii)

You got it :smiley:

I think most issues you may have with hours, breaks, end shift etc. will come easier as you do it for real mate. The easiest way I remember when I need to end shift is to picture a 24 hour clock, knowing my start time ( eg: 06:00), I can quickly figure out at what time on that clock I need to take daily/ weekly rest, so if it’s a 11 hour rest I’m thinking of, I need to get off the road by 7 P.M (11 hours before the 06:00 24 hour period from when I started) if it’s a reduced rest, I have up till 9 P.M. I don’t mess about with max hours for this or that, I just keep this easier method in mind - each to their own but it works for me.

It used to be the case that the second period of 5 years cpc would be issued with a long dated card immediately. But they have now changed the procedure and the second period card is now issued shortly before the expiry of the first one. But, for your peace of mind, you can check your periodic training hours online so you know you’re ok.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for responses.

I kind of got the gist of thinking ahead so when I start shift would have to know if I have a regular rest only available or if I still can have a reduced one. That would tell me when I MUST end shift.

Bit confused though about 60 hour maximum week. By my reckoning an 84 hour week is possible. I hope never to do that :exclamation: but am I right in thinking that would be possible if you have a total of 24 hours of driving/WTD breaks and POA? And you could not do that regularly because there is the maximum 48 hour averaged over the reference period to worry about?

Do you think it would be possible to do a 4 hour lesson and have the instructor cover module 4 with a test at the end. Maybe a bit of time out on the road as well?

I had C1 on a pre 97 licence but no cpc. So I did mod 2&4 as it was cheaper and quicker than doing 35 hrs cpc, yes you can fail them but it’s hard too.

Equus:
Do you think it would be possible to do a 4 hour lesson and have the instructor cover module 4 with a test at the end. Maybe a bit of time out on the road as well?

Many schools incorporate the mod 4 training and test into the basic practical LGV training course at extra cost