Hello from newbie

Hi everyone!! I’ve been searching this fantastic site for a while now and just wanted to say hello.
I went for an interview last week with Exel Tradeteam and was offered the job as class 2 driver starting with 2 weeks training (So they say) as a drayman. Problem is just after the interview i got a phone call from Greggs asking me to go for an interview next week (I applied to Greggs 5 months ago and NOW they dicide to phone me!!) :imp: .

Now if i end up with both job offers, i have no idea on which to take :confused:

Question: Do Greggs start at silly 0’clock like British bakeries?, and do you get the same run everyday?? Some of those little Greggs shops seem to be in silly places like in middle of a market etc :open_mouth:

Also at the interview with Tradeteam one guy did a demonstartion on how to get a beer keg off a truck, and he basicaly Judo throwed this huge keg over his shoulder and crashed it onto a mat :open_mouth: Looks a bit of a back breaker, but he said it’s all about teqnique Hmm also i’m fit guy but quite slim 11 stone so dont have the body wieght behind me, and the 2 other drivers who are to start training with me are built like brick ■■■■ houses :open_mouth:

Any info on working at either of these two companies would be great.

Cheers all

from what ive seen of gregs about , it is ealry mornings with you having to open the shop yourself and wheel stuff in and out (woolwich early doors blocking the road :smiling_imp: ).

tradeteam first you dont see a fat drayman and usually you have a mate with you to help you chuck it off.it is all about technique and if there owt like ours your back in the yard by 2pm :sunglasses: .

also if you do go for that one have a word with the monkeys in the warehouse to pull there fingers out there arses :laughing: :laughing:

good luck beanpole
jon

:slight_smile: Welcome to TruckNetUK

Never fancied dray work as it does look like hard work, it is probably not too bad when you have sussed it out, as gravity is on your side.

Welcome to TruckNetUK Beanpole
and good luck :smiley:. I think warrior of
this forum works for exel tradeteam
but at sheffield depot. Maybe worth
a pm to see what the works like and
the barmaids :smiley:

Thanks for the welcome everyone :smiley:

ive seen of gregs about , it is ealry mornings with you having to open the shop yourself and wheel stuff in and out (woolwich early doors blocking the road ).

I was wondering about who opened the doors hmm it’s looking more and more like i will be a drayman after all :wink: Only concern i have about dray work now, is some pub locations i.e on corner of a busy junction with double yellows all around it and with heavy kegs you have to park as close to pub as possible, which is easier said than done in London. I suppose it’s all part of the fun though, isnt it? :open_mouth:

Maybe worth
a pm to see what the works like and
the barmaids

Convoy, knowing my luck they will all look like Betty from Cornation st :open_mouth:

Hi,

I’ve run a pub for 15 yrs and being a drayman is more like a way of life… lots of fiddles and craics.

It is very hard work tho and the number of guys with bad backs is worrying. A good wage can be earned but is money everything? I’d say the actual driving is secondary to the skill/work involved in handballing 5 tonnes of kegs & cases down a 15 foot near vertical cellar drop.

Hope this helps…!

Thanks for the advice Thestonesman. After both interviews i decided on starting the job with Tradeteam after all. Mainly because i prefer working part of 2 man crew on multi-drop and would be good chance to bulk up a little as i dont go to the gym.

I will let you all know how i get on over next few weeks.

Cheers everyone :smiley:

good luck beanpole :smiley: :smiley:

jon