Job offer!!

Phew, things happen so quickly!!

I had an assesment drive today with a local haulage company, Pawsons of Braithwell Rotherham, and the upshot is they offered me a job!!

I reckon I am going to bite the bullet and take it but would like the panels view also.

Its a family run firm, they do invest in new kit and seem to take pride in the fleet (I wont get a brand new truck just yet ). I would be having a 3 day induction and then onto tramping in my own truck . I think the main contracts are with Cadbury & Nestle pulling Chocolate yumyum.

The money is another thing - the rate is 6.80 per hour for the 1st 48 hours then 1 1/2 times. + 19quid per night out + 15 per week bonus for paperwork?? + 10 meal allowance, they also pay parking. The guy said the average was about 24K per year which I guess is feasable based on 60+ hours per week.

Now I know I can get a better hourly rate at an agency but I think this would be a good introduction to the industry. ok the money isnt brilliant & many of you probably wouldnt get out of bed for that but I could live on it I guess.

What do ya reckon?? I have to let the guy know tomorrow.

Cheers,
Paul.

If you are happy with the money why not go for it. There is a lot to be said working for a smaller family run firm rather than a big concern and if nothing else it would be good experience. Personally if it was that or agency I would take it.

go for it mate,otherwise someone else will :wink:

My experience of Small Family firms do tend to treat you like a person. They know who you are and your strength and weaknesses. You are also likely to be working for somebody who has done the job and understands, (they also know the dodges though :laughing: )
Agencies are great for getting a range of work and earning more money, but working in a different place each week and a different truck,.

As a newly qualified driver ( 4 months class1 ).
I would say take the job.
I have been lucky enough to work for a reputable
company for the last 2 months.
Good points: You know what you will be driving
every day, you get to know the other drivers who are
always pleased to help when you ask the hundred
questions ( that you will ) , you know you are
getting paid regularly every week.
Usually any faults reported on units are fixed
straight away or vehicle is put VOR.You relax on your days off
knowing you have a job to go to next week.
You are gaining experience of driving every day
you work.
Bad points: still thinking

speaking to one of there Guys Friday. Seems happy with work but says they work you to max hours at every oppurtunity (everyone needs to make money i guess) other than that happy with work/conditions etc. :slight_smile:

See alot of there units about at moment so i guess things must be going well for them.

I decided to go for it & handed in my months notice on Friday (felt good but was a little emotional) Confirmed my start date with Pawson’s in the afternoon. I will be doing a 3 day induction from Weds 13th October and starting proper on Monday 18th :smiley: :smiley:

Now I need to sort some kit out, particularly some kind of fridge/coolbox, would a 24v one be best?

good luck bepto. try the search facility on here for the fridge info. rgds jon

Good luck at Pawsons, Bepto.

Let us know how you get on. I see their wagons regularly and have often wondered what they would be like to work for.

Last year, I was offered a job at Polypipe, just a few miles down the road and that was about the same money so it is probably about right for this area.