Hell Drivers

For all you tipper drivers and wannabe tipper drivers, the ultimate “training” :wink: film
HELL DRIVERS
is on on BBC2
Wed 1st Aug
11.50pm - 1.35am

good film - i like the mix up with truck 3 & 13!!!

Speeded up where necessary to give the impression of speed. As I remember this was used to illustrate why bonus schemes should be banned. Hang on a minute! Deja Vu!! have we been here before? or was it another forum?

Theres a scene where the cows in a field are running at about 40 mph, still a good film though!

A true classic I’ve watched countless times! I recommend the latest DVD release - there’s a great little extra film from 1957 looking at the making of Hell Drivers.

<<<<<< Note my avatar!!! :wink:

Yep - it’s certainly the tipper driver’s training film! I can take any of the characters in Hell Drivers and find a match at the firm I work for!! :laughing:

Great film love watching it

Nice when he puts it the ditch & the foreman says." You’ve passed the test!" :laughing:

Nah, I prefer the bit when he says to the foreman “you can drive back”
and the foreman says
“Me? no, the police have taken my licence away!!”

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

glad films and reality never mix :laughing:(yes its sarcasim)

You sure films and reality don’t mix. The firm I last worked for could have used this film as its induction video!!!

Hilarious film, I cant remember whether the lorries used were Dodge Kew or Leyland Comets as the cabs were very similar it was only the radiator grills that differed.

I drove both of these years ago and I would be surprised if you could get much more than 40mph, no power steering and if I remember vacuum brakes with a four speed crash box, some perhaps would have been fitted with an Eaton 2 speed back axle.

One things for sure at 40mph you wouldn’t want to take one hand off the steering wheel for any reason

Still good film.

Kew Dodges. Definitely. :wink:

Worked for a firm in Skipton (Willy Taylors) and the drivers there thought the blokes in the films were softies and pouffs, and could not understand why they drove so slow.

My one and only foray into tippers that was, never again.

I drove tippers back in the seventies from the quarries in Somerset. Thousands of tons of stone and tarmac were leaving everyday for the M3, M4 and M5.
Obviously it bore no resemblance to the film, but it was certainly no job for the faint hearted.

I remember there was a notice in one of the weighbridges which read “If you don’t know the way, follow the skid marks” which truthfully, was about right.

A good time was had though, possibly the best driving job I had, certainly the best paid, I could take home over £30 a week for about 70 hours work.

My uncle was on the tippers in the 60’s/70’s in N.Wales. The stories he tells would make Tarmac’s Health & Safety man die of a heart attack. :sunglasses:

He told me that one day they were FOUR abreast going through the Birkenhead tunnel :open_mouth: (ok for wagons in them days I presume).

He said there were smashes everyday but (like Tobyjug) said it was the best job he’s had. Very odd. :confused:

i was taking the ■■■■

Tobyjug:
I drove both of these years ago and I would be surprised if you could get much more than 40mph, no power steering and if I remember vacuum brakes with a four speed crash box, some perhaps would have been fitted with an Eaton 2 speed back axle.

It’s a while since I watched this film but they must’ve had the 2 speed axle as I remember some scenes you can add an extra 0 to that 40mph!

When I first came back from Oz I got a job with Wimpeys building the M1. 70 AEC Park Royal tippers (6 and 8 wheelers) on dirt roads between the Trent (J24-25) and Sandiacre (J25-26) much of it single track. Average 4 smashes a night until they tried to improve things by threatening the sack to anyone involved in one - guilty or not. :open_mouth: The very next night some prat reversed into my cab buggering up the junction box and confusing the electrics so that I drove back to the yard with all lights flashing like a christmas tree. :unamused: They didn’t keep their word, and didn’t sack me. :slight_smile: . The other bloke was told to come back in the morning wearing a suit - to collect his cards and take them down the job centre. :unamused:

Semtex:
For all you tipper drivers and wannabe tipper drivers, the ultimate “training” :wink: film
HELL DRIVERS

For a real life ‘Hell Drivers’ experience you could get a job at Oran waste, my last job. flat out all day, as many loads as possible! an extra £2 for every 20 ton load you deliver of ‘cake waste’ (dried sewage sludge) they tip this into farmers fields for spreading at a later date. If the fields were to wet, no problem! simply drive into the field at around 30mph so you dont sink :laughing: