hell drivers

if anyones interested or a bit bored this afternoon the film “hell drivers” is on the BBC iplayer at the moment fred m

If you get it on DVD you can watch it any-time…

Managed to copy it perfectly this time, previous attempts have had the last five minutes missing or some cockup in the recording. It was on BBC 2 too so no adverts to spoil it, might slow it down a bit though and watch them drive at the proper speed! Classic film. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Managed to copy it perfectly this time, previous attempts have had the last five minutes missing or some cockup in the recording. It was on BBC 2 too so no adverts to spoil it, might slow it down a bit though and watch them drive at the proper speed! Classic film. Franky.

Drove a few Dodges with the Perkins engine and the eaton two speed in but i could not get them to perform like that.
Must have seen the film 10 times,

f troop:

Frankydobo:

Drove a few Dodges with the Perkins engine and the eaton two speed in but i could not get them to perform like that.

What do you reckon the actual speed would have been prior to them cranking up the speed of the film ? Bewick.

Bewick:

f troop:

Frankydobo:

What do you reckon the actual speed would have been prior to them cranking up the speed of the film ? Bewick.

Thats a tough one,i would probably say a maximum speed of 30 mph.
i beleive that the drivers in the film did there own driving.

I have watched it several times,& have it on a CD. I read somewhere that the camera was sped up to give the impression of the tippers hurtling along at high speed, great film, mind yoy those parott nosed Dodges were pretty fast in there day, I drove a one for a brief period at Baxters on the Quayside in the 50s, it was Ex BRS. It was a good old motor, Regards Larry.

Yeah some good old stalwart actors, as well as some up and coming that became Hollywood stars. Another film called The Hi-jackers has some good footage of late Fifties and Sixties motors and scenery, starring Anthony Booth (Scouse Git from Till death us do part), script is a bit lame but worth it for the nostalgia. Victor Matures’ The Long Haul of course driving a Leyland Octopus. Hi-jackers must be due a re-run on Channel 4 or Film 5 sometime soon!
Cheers Franky.

Hi-Jackers features the Lupin Cafe on the A30 at Bagshot, in 1963.

Frankydobo:
Yeah some good old stalwart actors, as well as some up and coming that became Hollywood stars. Another film called The Hi-jackers has some good footage of late Fifties and Sixties motors and scenery, starring Anthony Booth (Scouse Git from Till death us do part), script is a bit lame but worth it for the nostalgia. Victor Matures’ The Long Haul of course driving a Leyland Octopus. Hi-jackers must be due a re-run on Channel 4 or Film 5 sometime soon!
Cheers Franky.

The Hijackers is available on a double DVD from Renown Pictures Ltd with a film called Smokescreen.

watched this film a few times,my dad did this job in the late 40s when a one transport of leeds first started,30 loads a day .have a look at page 7 on a one transport thread,keith

Saw the title and thought it was a thread about Earthline :slight_smile:

:unamused:

Suedehead:

I think there known around Oxford as The Red Arrows…saw a couple of them racing around Winchester last week like scud missiles. :unamused:

I think Nathan fancies his chances driving one of those parrot nosed Dodges !! Well it would be an improvement on the Foden !! Anon1.

IMG_0021 (640x440).jpgHell Drivers Derbyshire Style.Walter Berries R6 Dodge parked up for the day in Cromford Market Place when most drivers took their lorries home.
IIRC Neville Wright was the driver and I think the Dodge was an ex Denniff motor,taken around 1958ish.
Poor photo but what the heck I like it.Regards Mike.

thelongdrag:
0Hell Drivers Derbyshire Style.Walter Berries R6 Dodge parked up for the day in Cromford Market Place when most drivers took their lorries home.
IIRC Neville Wright was the driver and I think the Dodge was an ex Denniff motor,taken around 1958ish.
Poor photo but what the heck I like it.Regards Mike.

Fantastic picture Mike…real nostalgia.

Suedehead:

It’s their training video. :laughing: The quarry looks like Tuckwells…circa last week. :laughing:

If you want to know more about Hell Drivers try looking on www.britmovie.co.uk and put Hell Drivers in the search window. Franky.

Frankydobo:
If you want to know more about Hell Drivers try looking on britmovie.co.uk and put Hell Drivers in the search window. Franky.

Hi Franky.Yes good site that, new one for me,some good old interesting films on it.
Thanks for the info .

Mike.

Does anyone else recall reading in an 80’s or early 90’s Truck mag, that they were planning to film an updated version of Hell Drivers.
I think it mentioned Jim Davidson was to be in it, I was eagerly waiting to see what lorries they were going to use, and then plans were scrapped.

I like that photo Mike, never mind the quality at least another from that era was saved.

Paul.