hell drivers

I was thinking along the same lines Tipit, its a good story line, pity it hadn’t been updated during the Seventies or Eighties. Today might be difficult with our congested roads, the film really would need speeding up! Like someone mentioned I wonder what happened to the models used in the latter stages of the film, surley they didn’t end up in the bin. Michael Caine’s Billion Dollar Brain used Seddon 30:4 tractors, probably with the AEC engine, however when they sank into the ice at the end they used an older unit in the main scene (ERF I think) and again models for some of the other action scenes, what would have happened to those real motors as well as the models! Cheers Franky.

I heard they were going to use Smith of Blechington motors for the re-make of Hell Drivers but even when they speeded up the film Smiths motors were still too slow !!! Anon 1.

hi anyone out there remember drinkwaters from ther depot in willsden the wher the hell drivers snowey the boss,drivers lofty bob english bob willby jimmy white alan black & lots more

Did any of you spot the deliberate mistake,whilst the Dodge was balancing on the cliff edge.

Ocean Clipper:
hi anyone out there remember drinkwaters from ther depot in willsden the wher the hell drivers snowey the boss,drivers lofty bob english bob willby jimmy white alan black & lots more

A bloke who used to do a bit of fitting for my dad was an ex drinkwater fitter. Retired now but still in touch with my dad.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I have watched it several times,& have it on a CD. I read somewhere that the camera was sped up to give the impression of the tippers hurtling along at high speed, great film, mind yoy those parott nosed Dodges were pretty fast in there day, I drove a one for a brief period at Baxters on the Quayside in the 50s, it was Ex BRS. It was a good old motor, Regards Larry.

I worked for 2 real life Hell Driver companies in the 60’s & 70’s…Stanley John, coal,coke deliveries & H.E.Payne 24 hour veg deliveries!!

I remember going to see the film at our local cinema when it was sharing the bill with “Genevieve”. Must have been around 1958? After the show I bought fish & chips for one and thruppence!
Them was the days.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I remember going to see the film at our local cinema when it was sharing the bill with “Genevieve”. Must have been around 1958? After the show I bought fish & chips for one and thruppence!
Them was the days.

I remember buying sausage beans & chips on a plate from the chip oil in Kington for 1s&3d in 1963 Casey,those were the days.
Cheers Dave.

Your prices stayed lowered for longer than ours, Dave, probably because you were further out in the sticks!

hi all we have a dodge as used in the film hell drivers perkins R6 etc we could always arrange a test drive get a feel for old days

Here’s yours Joe,seen between the Bedfords and Leyland Comet at Gaydon 2010.

Gaydon 2012.

Dave the Renegade:

Here’s a closer shot of it Dave, also the Hell Drivers theme on the side of the Scania.

bartletts helldriver.JPG

nigelhunt:
Did any of you spot the deliberate mistake,whilst the Dodge was balancing on the cliff edge.

Haven’t watched it for years, but I always thought the Dodge that went over the top looked like a Ford.
Bernard

Hell Drivers by fryske, on Flickr

1952 Dodge tipper NTT72 by fryske, on Flickr

1960 Thames Trader and 1952 Dodge by fryske, on Flickr

nigelhunt:

Must have watched that film a dozen times over the years, and never noticed that!
Well mspotted.

Joe:

Dave the Renegade:

Here’s a closer shot of it Dave, also the Hell Drivers theme on the side of the Scania.

Nice one Joe.
Cheers Dave.

This is the company I served my time with, started there in 1962 as a 15yr old. (photo by Tipit)Paul Hartley.
1Thomas Lamb 1962-68 Parrot Nose.JPG
One or two more here
Dodge Kew 1.jpg
Dodge Kew 3.jpg

This one is still around doing the shows,I took this at the Sandbach festival 2011