HELL DRIVERS

No.Not the daily job we all love.The 1957 movie that has just finished on the TV.Several famous faces starring; the first Dr.Who as the bent boss,Patrick McGoohan,Stanley Baker,Sid James,David McCallum,and even a youthful Sean Connery.The film industry’s view on pre HGV trucking?Various old 2 axle tippers on display,Dodge,Bedford,Thames Traders?Has tipper driving changed between then and now?From the views of some of our contributors you could be forgiven for thinking that they haven’t.!

I’ve got that film on dvd!

Still worth a watch today isn’t it? It’s a training manual for tipper drivers!!

Butcher:
I’ve got that film on dvd!

Still worth a watch today isn’t it? It’s a training manual for tipper drivers!!

Me too! My Dad was on tippers in the mid 60s, I think of the film as a documentary :laughing:

I watched it a few years ago. Those drivers wouldn’t have lasted long in the Wiltshire/Somerset borderlands…

Yes HELL DRIVERS a great cast of whos who
also check the dvd extras for interveiws with Real Drivers at what looks like j9 cafe on the m1
i gave a copy to a mate who was doing tarmac and told him it was a tippers training film

I read there was going to be a re make released in 2015 about 1980’s tipper drivers but guess that went belly up.

Interesting write-up on it here

bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news … an-connery

I’ve a copy on the pc

yup drivers training film…had to watch it again before starting on the tippers over here just to pick up pointers I had forgot. :unamused:

have the dvd as well,most of it was filmed around the Iver /Langley area in bucks,brilliant film,it would never be the same if they re made it,probably have American actors and bullets and bomb’s going off,wouldn’t surprise me one bit

parklogistics.co.uk/184547/h … volvo-fh16

pbs.twimg.com/media/Bki9nlRIMAAZaDi.jpg

Say no more…

Yes - you can see this one on the road…
Yes - pulling tipper trailer…

If you don’t get the message and have any more questions… something is wrong with you… :smiley:

But I wonder how the guy who is driving that one feels… :sunglasses:

Any SCANIA V8 “blingout” driver comments on how it feels when this one goes by… ■■? :smiley:

Great film! It is speeded up somewhat though :stuck_out_tongue:
The best driving tuitional film ever and an excellent example of keeping it lit old school…

AndrewG:
Great film! It is speeded up somewhat though :stuck_out_tongue:
The best driving tuitional film ever and an excellent example of keeping it lit old school…

My late Dad had one of these “Parrot Nose” Dodge tippers, long wheelbase, between 1963 and 67.
God, it was slow, it was unbelievably slow!! Perkins P6, 5speed box with Eaton 2 speed axle and you needed every gear you could find, especially the very low ones!
He bought one of the very first D series Fords, ordered at the Scottish motor show in Oct’65. He had it for years, and could never get over the fact that the cab was so airtight that it was difficult to close the door unless you did it gently.
He also broke the indicator stalk more than once as the Ford was so comfy and quiet compared to anything he had before, that he forgot he wasn’t in the car, which had column change and he used to try to change gear with the indicators.
Perhaps the fact that he had done a European tour in 1944/45 in a Scammed Pioneer with canvas cab had something to do with his delight at the relative luxury of his first and only new truck.