Heavy Goods Vehicle - Instructors Course

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a reputable driving school, where I could obtain certified HGV driving Instructor status.

I have 30 years HGV driving experience. but would like to obtain certification for teaching purposes as the engine is getting worn out.

I have received a list from the DSA, but living in Ireland I dont know who would be the best.

Many thanks for any info

John :slight_smile:

alright mate. i did all my lessons with the airport driving school in dublin and they were extreamly helpful and i managed to pass every thing 1st time due to them taking time to explain things in detail to me and there teachin techniques. Id say give them a call and see if they do the course.

ROG may be the best person to give advice on this, he will no doubt see this thread at some point or you could PM him.

jr-1:
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a reputable driving school, where I could obtain certified HGV driving Instructor status.
I have 30 years HGV driving experience. but would like to obtain certification for teaching purposes as the engine is getting worn out.
I have received a list from the DSA, but living in Ireland I dont know who would be the best.
Many thanks for any info
John :slight_smile:

Hi John, this is one post you may like to read trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … +instuctor

You do not need to be DSA registered to do LGV instructing - you just need the talent to teach and a driving school that will let you in :exclamation:
Companies like to put “DSA registered instrutors” on their advertising as it sounds good to the punters.
IN MY OPINION, and that of many other instructors I know, the DSA LGV instuctor test only proves that the instructor can pass a test and has little or no bearing on being a “good instructor”.

When I started instructing (back in the dark ages :laughing: ) I spent many weeks sitting in the passenger seat listening to the experienced instructors taching.
I was also allowed to give lessons while another intructor sat with me listening to what I was saying.
I think that was a good way to learn so try to find a local driving school that is willing to take you on and teach you what is required.
As Rog has stated - the DSA register is only volountary at this time and does not prove the instructor is any better at his/her job

This is great news. I could run a school with all the add ons like ‘how to tax your load’, ‘where to get rid of pallets’ and all the unanswered questions ike that , that drivers have to find out the hard way. Just got to get myself an old FL10 now for lessons, what would one of them cost you roughly? I can get a trailer for free.

Mike-C:
This is great news. I could run a school with all the add ons like ‘how to tax your load’, ‘where to get rid of pallets’ and all the unanswered questions ike that , that drivers have to find out the hard way. Just got to get myself an old FL10 now for lessons, what would one of them cost you roughly? I can get a trailer for free.

roadtransport.com/Classified … l-reg.html

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:

Mike-C:

Thanks Den. I have a buisness plan now. I can now offer HGV driving school franchises for about 20k, i will supply the vehicle and all the training you need to know to get yourself up and running with a succsesful HGV training school, and i’ll supply some advertising as well. All any prospective franchisee will need to do is pay me 20k and insure their vehicle. Anyone who is interested can just pm me, make sure you can pay by paypal. It really is that easy. And don’t forget, there are thousands of prospective HGV driver vacanicies going so your potential market is massive, and the average age of truckers is over 50 and they are all going to die soon. I can do pay monthly terms as well. Contact me for more info !!!

Mike-C:

Denis F:

Mike-C:

Thanks Den. I have a buisness plan now. I can now offer HGV driving school franchises for about 20k, i will supply the vehicle and all the training you need to know to get yourself up and running with a succsesful HGV training school, and i’ll supply some advertising as well. All any prospective franchisee will need to do is pay me 20k and insure their vehicle. Anyone who is interested can just pm me, make sure you can pay by paypal. It really is that easy. And don’t forget, there are thousands of prospective HGV driver vacanicies going so your potential market is massive, and the average age of truckers is over 50 and they are all going to die soon. I can do pay monthly terms as well. Contact me for more info !!!

I’ll have some of that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mike-C:
Just got to get myself an old FL10 now for lessons, what would one of them cost you roughly?

Probably about the same as a Ford ■■■■■■ of the same age!

Found this-

LGV/HGV DRIVING INSTRUCTOR MDS/13803

LocationDETLING, MAIDSTONE, KENT
Hours36-40 HOURS PER WEEK, MONDAY TO FRIDAY, BETWEEN 7AM & 5PM
Wage ÂŁ10.00 PER HOUR
Work PatternDays
EmployerGordon Springate Transport Training Services
Closing Date29/11/2007
PensionNo details held
DurationPERMANENT ONLY

Description
Must have held an HGV Class 1 licence for at least 3 years as this is the legal requirement for instructing purposes. Must have good written and verbal communication skills as will be dealing with students on a face to face basis. Duties will be to teach people how to drive LGV/HGV lorries. Previous experience not required as training will be given. EXEMPTED VACANCY - EMPLOYMENT EQUALITY ACT (AGE) REGULATIONS 2006

How to apply
You can apply for this job by telephoning 0162 2736803 ext 0 and asking for Alan Spokes.

Mike-C:

PMSL :laughing:

Help the coder0 out here folks !!

Are we really sugesting that anybody with the right number of years driving experience and the right amount of dosh to buy a unit and trailer can teach someone to drive an LGV :open_mouth:

And that no CPC or restrictive legislation applys to the above :astonished: :astonished:

thecoder0:
Are we really sugesting that anybody with the right number of years driving experience and the right amount of dosh to buy a unit and trailer can teach someone to drive an LGV :open_mouth:
And that no CPC or restrictive legislation applys to the above :astonished: :astonished:

I have just phoned the DSA LGV dept on 0115-901-2626 and they informed me that all I have to do is buy a lorry that conforms to DSA test standards, have held the relevant licence for more than 3 years, register a business in the usual way (same for most types of businesses) and BINGO - I have my own LGV training school :open_mouth:

ADDED - I would imagine that the cost in setting up such an enterprise would be quite high - I am not a business type person but Mothertrucker could probably give you a better insight.

ROG:

thecoder0:

I have just phoned the DSA LGV dept on 0115-901-2626 and they informed me that all I have to do is buy a lorry that conforms to DSA test standards, have held the relevant licence for more than 3 years, register a business in the usual way (same for most types of businesses) and BINGO - I have my own LGV training school :open_mouth:

Its tempting … what sort of prices are driving schools asking these days ROG for class 2 and class one.

thecoder0:
Its tempting … what sort of prices are driving schools asking these days ROG for class 2 and class one.

Varies on which part of the UK you are in - been a few posts on that subject on this site fairly recently - you could try a SEARCH :slight_smile:

found this trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … lgv+prices

:smiley: Thanks everybody for your replies appreciated
John :open_mouth:

Mike-C:
… and the average age of truckers is over 50 and they are all going to die soon. I can do pay monthly terms as well. Contact me for more info !!!

Wouldn’t do monthly terms if they’re all going to die soon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ADDED - I would imagine that the cost in setting up such an enterprise would be quite high - I am not a business type person but Mothertrucker could probably give you a better insight.

Dont talk to me about running costs!!!
I will sweasr we were far better off when we were working for other driving schools. If the flaming thing breaks down and you are employed you just go home and wait for a call to say its mended again.
If it is your own - you panic ,work all night to get it sorted then offer compensation to the trainee :unamused: and remember to keep smiling and be polite to the customer :unamused:

This is great news. I could run a school with all the add ons like ‘how to tax your load’, ‘where to get rid of pallets’ and all the unanswered questions ike that ,

Now why did I not think of that!

Check out all the websites for prices - and then phone to check up for the hidden extras

Then set yourself up and prepare to take your life in your hands :laughing: :laughing:

i have considered leasing a 7 seated chrysler voyager and doing airport only jobs and posh school runs consider this i have done the costings for after i have payed out a one only sum of ÂŁ200 for the privte hire plate

lease ÂŁ350 per mnth
insura 200 per mnth
diesel 400 per mnth
my wage 1200 minimum

i would require booking of ÂŁ70 per day to reach the target any more and the proofit becomes mine

when their charging ÂŁ30 per one way trip the figures add up dont they