HGV driver instructor

Hi
I am looking to become a HGV driving instructor, would anyone be able to offer some details on this please I am in the greater Manchester area , I would like to know the cost and what is required and where who I might contact thanks

Tony101@:
Hi
I am looking to become a HGV driving instructor, would anyone be able to offer some details on this please I am in the greater Manchester area , I would like to know the cost and what is required and where who I might contact thanks

Hi Tony,

I’ve moved your topic to where I think it can best be viewed and discussed. :smiley:

there is no cost

what you need to do is to find a training school that will take you on with little training time for them to get you up to speed on what the DVSA require

you need to have held the licence for as least 3 years

Passing the advanced driving test and being an observer/tutor is good experience for doing LGV instruction

find a training school that will take you on with little training time

Rarely do I disagree with ROG, but this is one of those times! What ROG has described is the normal way that stuff happens - - which is why the industry is in the mess it’s in!

It is proven that a properly trained, qualified instructor turns in results substantially better than others. This is demonstrated by the Accredited Training Centre figures where results are always at least 20% better than national average.

My recommendation is that the OP contact a professional training body eg RTITB for a proper training course. There will be a cost - but worth it if the job has any value.

Or go the other way and hope for the best.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

During my time as a LGV instructor I met a few who had done the RTITB course and they had no better results than I or anyone who followed the same route as I did

Perhaps if someone could produce figures who demonstrated that is not the case then I will reconsider my experience and conclusions as being a flawed one …

Pass rates are published by driving test centre - so it’s close to impossible to ascertain individual statistics. But, compare the Accredited Centres to the others and there is a marked difference - IRO 20% better. The DVSA Accredited Centres only employ qualified instructors. So there is my logic.

For the OP, the link you might want to follow is

rtitb.co.uk/new/index.php/instru … tor-course

Peter Smythe:
Pass rates are published by driving test centre - so it’s close to impossible to ascertain individual statistics. But, compare the Accredited Centres to the others and there is a marked difference - IRO 20% better. The DVSA Accredited Centres only employ qualified instructors. So there is my logic.

For the OP, the link you might want to follow is

rtitb.co.uk/new/index.php/instru … tor-course

Accreditted centres have always had better pass rates than basic centres because the trainees are doing the tests from those centres where they trained at making it less intimidating - they may even had had some small social contact with the examiners before testing

Just to point out that a DVSA Accredited LGV Training Centre is not the same thing as a Customer Site driving test centre.

Perfectly possible (and it happens) to have a Customer Site without any accreditation for the training carried on from that site. It’s a source of continual confusion!

I totally disagree what Peter says about the training industry being in a mess!!

Us trainers don’t make the rules on the qualification required to be a a instructor or run a training school, yes their is a voluntary qualification but really is it of any value? Someone could pass their CE test sit on it without driving I then take the voluntary test and become a DVSA registered instructor with no experience of handling a truck except whilst training for the licence. Or would a candidate prefer someone to teach them who’s has worked in the industry for many years and to pass on their valuable knowledge of knowing how to handle a truck on the roads. Of course the instructor must be able to communicate to the candidate in a constructive manner.

Yes Peter is proud of being accredited and so he should be but a non accredited training provider doesn’t mean they are bad.

In every industry you will get good and bad companies so it’s down to the customer to research before committing.

Until the rules change potential drivers should go on reccomendations when choosing their training provider but by a long way the industry isn’t in a mess.

Paul

Someone could pass their CE test sit on it without driving I then take the voluntary test and become a DVSA registered instructor with no experience of handling a truck except whilst training for the licence.

Absolutely not the case as they’d never pass the driving test required for the qualification.

a non accredited training provider doesn’t mean they are bad.

I have stated this dozens of times. But it makes them a lot more difficult to identify.

the industry isn’t in a mess

Yes, it is. Look back at the threads where folks have lost their hard earned to criminals calling themselves trainers. They either abscond with the money or provide seriously substandard training with equally poor customer service. Work it out. The average pass rate is 50%. Good trainers will consistently achieve 80%+. If you are one of these Paul (and I believe you probably are) then what performance are the other trainers putting in for the average to be a measly 50%.

Simple maths says they are achieving -20%.

And it’s not possible to identify who is good and who isn’t. To me this is the biggest headache - not just whether or not someone is on a register.

As Paul has said, it’s up to folks to do their research; I think it’s a shame that a potential customer should have to put so much effort in to decide where to spend their money.

The problem with the industry is mainly the brokers and traning providers who trade with the brokers to stay in business, may I add not me!!

Yes I agree that their is a small minority who will exploit a potential driver but seriously you will never stop this. As I’ve said this will happen in every industry even though its wrong.

Perhaps the moderators should promote this link a little better for the benefit of the members on here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667#p503949

I agree that’s a start, though it has been shown to be flawed in some cases. It only takes a recommendation to get on the list; that’s not going to be difficult to engineer if you’re determined to flout the system.

Thanks guys I have just read through the post and it seems The rtitb is very good and the comments from rog are also , I am a driver assessor for my company. I just would like to offer something back into the industry of my skills and expertise, also my knowledge of the industry
Will now have a look around and test the water contact or ask

Thanks again

Tony101@:
Thanks guys I have just read through the post and it seems The rtitb is very good and the comments from rog are also , I am a driver assessor for my company. I just would like to offer something back into the industry of my skills and expertise, also my knowledge of the industry
Will now have a look around and test the water contact or ask

Thanks again

Being a driver assessor stands you in good stead

ROG:

Tony101@:
I just would like to offer something back into the industry

Thanks again

On behalf on the industry, I thank you.

what you need to do is to find a training school that will take you on with little training time for them to get you up to speed on what the DVSA require

So the public now have a clear purchasing choice. They can go for the product of the quote above - Note that the “instructor” has to HOLD the licence for 3 years - no driving experience required. And they will have had a LITTLE training time.

OR a fully trained, registered and qualified instructor who has passed tests in driving and instructional ability.

Interesting thought.

The OP has had experience in assessing and, without doubt, this is a step forward so I am in no way decrying his wish to join the training industry. Just hope he does it properly and sees it as a career rather than a job. I think he will.

Hi Pete
I see it has a professional approach I like to do things correct
Also I am very professional when assessment of new drivers
Thats the way to be
I thank you for your advice and will be looking at the
Rtitb
Thanks for all the advice
Very much appreciated

Peter Smythe:

So the public now have a clear purchasing choice. They can go for the product of the quote above - Note that the “instructor” has to HOLD the licence for 3 years - no driving experience required. And they will have had a LITTLE training time.

OR a fully trained, registered and qualified instructor who has passed tests in driving and instructional ability.

Interesting thought.

The OP has had experience in assessing and, without doubt, this is a step forward so I am in no way decrying his wish to join the training industry. Just hope he does it properly and sees it as a career rather than a job. I think he will.