Any LGV instructors here?

Is anyone a DSA registered instructor/assessor? I’m considering doing the DSA course for instructing and assessing for the new driver CPC, but need a bit of truthful advice! My local training school have given me the price of the course to become one, but I need a realistic idea on potential work and earnings etc. If any of you guys can give a bit of advice I’d appreciate it.

Mark. (brookie)

ROG is no doubt lurking some where on here, carefull though he has his senior moments. :laughing: :laughing:

There as also other on here as well so one will be along shortly.

I am a DSA approved LGV/PCV Instructor and I can easily earn more money just driving a truck than I can training some one to drive one, even for a low paid company like the one I work for… :exclamation: :exclamation:

Oh and my advice would be leave it … :astonished: :astonished:

I did part one and part two for the DSA LGV Register a couple of years ago. The problem was finding work. I tried all the driving schools in my area and the companies with large operating centres and couldn’t find an opportunity anywhere.

I gave up on it before I spent to much money on gaining a qualification that wouldn’t provide a good income.

I made a perfectly good living for 4 years without being DSA registered, it doesnt help you do the job any better so my advice would be to not bother.

I will PM you later tonight. Just finished work 9.30pm.

Is rog ok? It’s not like hem to be away for so long. I’m a bit worried

This will certainly cost you.!! I asked about training to deliver the cpc. and Rog helpfully answered saying that I would have to find £1000 just for that part of the course ,The practical part would bring on astronomical costs.

I got a job as an LGV/PCV instructor and qualified for the LGV Voluntary Register whilst instructing. I initially contacted that particular company with the intention of doing a course, but was talked into working for them instead, and did the Register as I went along!

As regards making money, I think if you work for someone training then you will not make as much money as driving, but the hours are rather more sociable - sort of 9 to 5.

Training companies are a bit quieter than usual at present, due to the economic climate, but I am sure that there will always be work for good trainers when the economy picks up again.

I don’t think Rog will wnat to comment on this topic as he is not on the LGV Register, nor will ever be apparently (thats what he says anyway). Although I guess he might make a comment when he gets the opportunity, as he usually does! :smiley:

The cost of the Register tests are set to rise again this April bye the way, and of course you have to re-do parts 2 and 3 every 4 years. The DSA have the legislation in place to make it compulsory to be registered like the cars, but at present do not plan to implement it! I have spoken to several other registered instructors and they all feel the same as me in as much as they are seriously considering not re-doing the register again. As bugcos said you can make a living without being registered. However it does give some sort of credance to anyone who is on the register.

Where is ROG?

I hope his trainee has not run him over :open_mouth:

alamcculloch wrote:-

This will certainly cost you.!! I asked about training to deliver the cpc. and Rog helpfully answered saying that I would have to find £1000 just for that part of the course ,The practical part would bring on astronomical costs

I don’t know where Rog got that info from. If you read the requirements for a trainer for the Periodic Driver CPC training, there is no training that has to be done to deliver courses, in fact all that is required is the knowledge of the subject matter being taught, which can just be a declaration by an employer that a person has the required knowledge.

Thanks for all your input guys, I’ll re-think my plans!

Regards,

Mark. (brookie)

I think that I was ripped off by the DSA and DOT, just after the register for LGV instructors was introduced I was already working as a LGV instructor but I spent my own time and money qualifying thinking that they would make the register compulsory as it is for car instructors.
At the time we were lead to believe that this would be the case and qualified instructors would command a higher rate of pay because of the recognised qualification, as we all now know this did not happen, disgraceful… :imp: :imp:

I am getting worried about Rog now.

rog! at least let us know if you are OK. :laughing:

He is alive but not well

disgraceful, the cost of it you would think they were trying to teach flying the space shuttle