Instructor Training

Hi All

This may be the wrong place to post but I have not spotted anywhere else that might be suitable.

Having driven nationally and internationally for 25years I am now interested in moving into instructing others. While there are lots of recommendations for places where you can learn to drive I am keen to know if anyone has recommendations on where to learn to instruct! Also if anyone can post prices for same and what this includes (accommodation etc). Part of the country does not really matter as I will prob have to travel anyway but looking somewhere that has a good standard - perhaps where you learnt to drive also did this and you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Stevie

This is something I do with entry to the DSA Register. Maybe you could give me a call. It’s far too complicated to post on the forum - - and somewhat boring for most readers!

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

If you’re in the North West it’s something we can help with also.

John :smiley:

Like the previous replies we also provide instructor training with DSA fees and registration costs included. As Peter said the process is fairly complex and is better discussed than replied to on here. As a trainer there are several employment options available including of course CPC training.

Please PM with contact details and I will take you through the minefield. We are based in Essex but as you pointed out location is not particularly important.

There is no feeling as good as seeing somebody you have trained pass 1st time. I still get a massive buzz after 32 years.

LGVTrainer:
There is no feeling as good as seeing somebody you have trained pass 1st time. I still get a massive buzz after 32 years.

Also when a driver that has passed with you flashes at you in their truck whilst your out training.

It gives me immense job satisfaction.

Paul :smiley:

Many thanks for all your replies folks!

I will get in touch with you as requested.

thanks!

I reckon most good LGV instructors have a natural ability for teaching

To me its like caring - you either have it or you don’t - its not something that can be taught

Those with the ability can certainly learn tips from others

To me its like caring - you either have it or you don’t - its not something that can be taught

Agreed. But, just like the driving test, there are ways and systems of delivery that will pass the instructor test and there are others that wont. Knowing what is wanted - just like the driving test - is part of the battle.

There is no questions that some have much more natural ability than others - another similarity.

I have trained several instructors including one, recently, who had been “trained” elsewhere and had to be completely retrained. All mine have passed first time with one exception who was a guy who had 2 goes at part 3.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

I totally agree with Rog

When I started revising the LGV register theory I noted the tachograph questions were all based on analogue type so totally outdated.

To be a good instructor you need.

Years of experience driving trucks

Patience

Ability to get your comments over in a constructive manner.

Sense of humour

Paul :smiley:

In my few years as a LGV instructor I never passed any tests - I just used my natural ability and my experience as a volunteer IAM observer

My results were the same as those who went through the DSA registration