heart attack

hi folks, my mates just had a heart attack and wants to know if he will be able to drive l.g.v. again. he is on the mend now but is worried about getting his job back, any info on this appreciated.

You need to speak to Mal on here, he’ll sort you out.

I don’t know for certain but believe that it is possible to drive again after a heart attack providing that your doctor will sign you off as fit. This is usually after a period with no further problems after treatment, e.g. bypass, and in the case of one of my colleagues took 15 months. What I don’t know is the full extent of his treatment or any conditions that are attached with regard to ongoing medical examinations.

Hope it goes well for your mate.

thanks for getting back to me will try mal rob cheers

one of our drivers had a heart attack 2 years ago. he cant carry the bags upstairs but he is still driving HGVs

I’ve known driver get back to driving after a heart attack, but it normally after quite a long period on sick. I think it depends on how bad the problem is and how well any treatment works.

axlestand:
hi folks, my mates just had a heart attack and wants to know if he will be able to drive l.g.v. again. he is on the mend now but is worried about getting his job back, any info on this appreciated.

I was made to surrender my HGV after a heart attack last September. The doc’s actually made me do it, and said if I didnt tell the DVLA, they would. Now, 12 months on, I have had a 5 bypass and ablation op. I have to wait and see the consultant, then if I get a green light, I can re-apply. I dont think it’s going to be easy, but I need that ■■■■■■■ ticket back!

Tell your mate to be very carefull, if he were to somehow keep driving, and hadnt informed nobody, he might not be insured, it’s a serious business. I hope this helps, I know it’s a big blow to have this haoppen this has been my 25th anniversary of class 1, and I have no license. Tell him good luck from me!

Rob K:
You need to speak to Mal on here, he’ll sort you out.

Ive done me best Rob, but Im a bit like rhubarb at the minute meself M8, kept in the dark and fed on ■■■■! :laughing:

The person your mate needs to talk to, is his Doctor. In the end, it will be on his assessment and recommendation as to whether, or not, this person is medically fit to drive any vehicle, be it a car, LGV or whatever, in the forseeable future. Every case is different and if a person has their licence revoked on medical grounds, it is for the protection of everyone.

The DVLA must be informed of the heart condition, and any insurance companies covering vehicles driven, will want to know.

The DVLA website has information on this,

dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drivers.htm

Sheeter:
The person your mate needs to talk to, is his Doctor. In the end, it will be on his assessment and recommendation as to whether, or not, this person is medically fit to drive any vehicle, be it a car, LGV or whatever, in the forseeable future. Every case is different and if a person has their licence revoked on medical grounds, it is for the protection of everyone.
[/b]

Thats bang on sheeter. You have to bite the bullet, it’s for the safety of everybody. I was at my most dangerous when I had an heart attack last year about sept 10th, then drove for 2 weeks before having a very serious one sept 26th! It dont bear thinking about, and I had a mate that died at the wheel, he managed to get the motor over to the hard shoulder, in great pain as I know, and died. One of the lads passed by and wondered why he was parked up, you can guess the rest.

Mal:
but Im a bit like rhubarb at the minute meself M8, kept in the dark and fed on [zb]! :laughing:

:laughing:

thx for the feedback guys, and mal i hope u get the green light mate and get back behind the wheel.

axelstand

you have pm

thanks keelman glad you are doin ok mate, will pass on all the info to my mate,